Surefire Turbohead for C3

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
Hi There,

I have been reading a bit about the advantages of a turbo head and am thinking of getting one for my Surefire C3. Living it Australia, the cost of the Turbohead is pretty high, mainly because of delivery charges, so I am not 100% certain as to whether it is worth it.

Has anyone got any comparison photos, or even photos of just the turbohead and the difference it makes to the throw/beam etc.

Much appreciated :)

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for that, it looks like it is worth getting. What do you guys think? (Sorry - I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Flashlights!).

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
C3 off 2x17500 will allow you to fire up both the MN15 and MN20. If you bore the C3 for 18mm cell support, you could also burst both the MN16 and MN21 off unprotected 2x18500. Your options off primaries would be similar. I say go for it :thumbsup: .

Size15's

Flashaholic
I personally consider the TurboHeads useful above 200 lumens. This means running the MN16 lamp in the C3+KT2 rather than the MN15.

You may consider whether its more cost-effective and gratifying to purchase the M6 instead of the KT2 & MN16 etc - the difference is significant and my opinion well worth it.

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
I personally consider the TurboHeads useful above 200 lumens. This means running the MN16 lamp in the C3+KT2 rather than the MN15.

You may consider whether its more cost-effective and gratifying to purchase the M6 instead of the KT2 & MN16 etc - the difference is significant and my opinion well worth it.

Okay, thanks for that. I don't think I will frequent these forums too much - I just purchased an M6!!! :eek:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, you can purchase an adapter that allows you to use the turbohead from the M6 on the C3 body.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
:welcome:

I think you'll like the M6.

What do you need the light for?

This thread might interest you(notice a 1 LED light can be similar to the M6 HOLA in throw)

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I think you'll like the M6.

What do you need the light for?

This thread might interest you(notice a 1 LED light can be similar to the M6 HOLA in throw)

I am a volunteer with the State Emergency Service. We mostly do recovery and repair during and after a storm. We often get called out in the night, usually when it is raining cats and dogs. Often there will be a large tree (gum trees grow up to about 60 odd metres!) that has fallen on a roof, and we need to have a good recon of the area before getting to work (we have some very large halogens run from generators while we are doing the work). The unit currently has dozens of 3 & 4 D maglites, which get seriously knocked around and even killed! I personally have a 5 D maglite, which is only satisfactory, plus, they are very big, making things pretty difficult when climbing with ropes, prusiks and chainsaws! They are, frankly, not good enough for me.

In addition to the above, its also cool! ;)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Have you also been thinking of getting rechargeable batteries?

The M6 will run through CR123s when you use the HOLA bulb.

If you aren't afraid of modding(this one's pretty simple actually, just swap parts and you're good), I'd give the ROP mod a try(It's actually brighter then the M6 and uses rechargeable batteries, size depends on your Maglite).

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
Have you also been thinking of getting rechargeable batteries?

The M6 will run through CR123s when you use the HOLA bulb.

If you aren't afraid of modding(this one's pretty simple actually, just swap parts and you're good), I'd give the ROP mod a try(It's actually brighter then the M6 and uses rechargeable batteries, size depends on your Maglite).
I have the spares carrier, and about 4 dozen batteries. I'd like to find rechargeables in Australia though.

Last edited: