Looking for pen/pocket light

dannyduke

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

For my practial need I use my edc energizer penlight (push button), it just failed me (batteries leaked n stuck inside).
I thought of the Microstream (+ it has pocket clip) but its battery life is way too short for me (1.5 hrs) for some xtra bright that I don't need. The new Fenix E01 is fine but it may not be easy twisted on/off with one hand. Please suggest me any light that: AAA (or AA) pocket-one hand operate/decent bright/long batt. life/has clip/less than $20

Greatly appreciate!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I was never a AAA light fan, but then I started carrying the Streamlight styluspro. It is the 2AAA version of the microstream. It is brighter, and with lithium AAA's, it runs for up to 7 hrs. I really like mine.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I'll have to agree with woodrow, either the 1xAAA Streamlight Microstream, or the 2xAAA Stylus Pro should fill the bill..... and both can generally be had for under $20.

I've had the Microstream clipped in my front shirt pocket every day, all day for several months now..... not babying it all..... using it often..... and it still looks brand new...... a solid finish on this puppy.

And the beam is one of the most useful I've found for general around the house small task kind of use. Not to bright, not to dim, very white, nice sized central spot with a good amount of spill.

I run mine with a rechargeable Eneloop AAA and just charge it once every week or two.

The clicky is a bit stiff, as has been mentioned in the reviews, but I use it mostly for quick little peeks here and there, so the momentary feature is perfect for my needs.

The clip is also just about perfect. It is quite strong and very useful.

All in all..... one of the best values around. I'm thinking about getting some more for Christmas gifts, ha...... :santa:

byron8

Newly Enlightened
Although Streamlight Stylus Pro is an excellent light for sure, I would recommend the Streamlight Stylus which uses 3 aaaa. This is because the Stylus Pro is too big to fit in shirt pocket with my pda and notepad. It is the perfect pocket light and the aaaa batteries are not that hard to get and run $2 for 2. Cost is $18 and is built rock solid, waterproof and included rubber cover with a hole for light. This comes in handy when I am looking into hot electronic equipment. So you can't go wrong with the Stylus Pro but if you got other things in your shirt pocket the Stylus Pro may not fit. I don't believe there is anything else on the market that beats the Stylus aaaa for size and light output.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Stylus Pro is my EDC jacket light now. It fits in the pen pocket of my leather jacket just perfectly. I did however replace the cheap pocket clip with the stronger/better one from a AAA Minimag.

cv3po

Banned
My microstream will run for 2:50 on a NiMH. Since it's regulated you'll hardly notice it dimming until the last 5-10 minutes (and then it shuts off). This a great light with alot of fans on CPF..........IIRC there was a thread where one tester quoted over 5 hours on an energizer L92 lithium but for my money 2:50 on a rechargeable (with a lithium backup) is plenty. These lights use a Seoul emitter https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191882 post # 4
which are very efficient and if you buy a 4-pack of NiMH's you'll always have a couple of spares and will only need to charge 2 maybe once a week with heavy use. For $15 you just cannot go wrong with this light!! :twothumbs

EDIT: just noticed another poster say something about a flimsy clip..........I'm not sure what clip he has but the clip on my Microstream (the same as stylus pro) is VERY sturdy and very well attached.

Last edited:

cv3po

Banned
How about the Microstream body with Fenix L0d's head? You get the pen carrying capability with clicky and longer runtime. I found this thread the other day. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179101

LOL, that is the original reason why I bought my Microstream but it turned out to be so good by itself that I now carry both my MS and LOD Q4. I still might buy another MS for that purpose but inandov itself it's still a GREAT light. A $15 light with forward clicky that gets 2.5 hours regulated runtime at 20 lumens on an AAA alkaline or NiMH and using a Seoul emitter with perfect tint (on mine) and a nice tight spot with lotsa spill....................if I didn't own one I wouldn't believe all of that!!! :crackup:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so close to pulling the trigger to get a microstream and another L0d. I have one L0d already but I keep it on my keychains. I'm not sure whether I want to spend another $60+ on the two lights to make it into one. There's so many flashlights I want to pick up.

I may just do what you do and get a microstream ... just because it looks so cool. :twothumbs

LOL, that is the original reason why I bought my Microstream but it turned out to be so good by itself that I now carry both my MS and LOD Q4. I still might buy another MS for that purpose but inandov itself it's still a GREAT light. A $15 light with forward clicky that gets 2.5 hours regulated runtime at 20 lumens on an AAA alkaline or NiMH and using a Seoul emitter with perfect tint (on mine) and a nice tight spot with lotsa spill....................if I didn't own one I wouldn't believe all of that!!! :crackup:

warlord

Enlightened
Why not get a streamlight styluspro? With the 2x AAA and an LOD head it'll be a nice amount of light (brighter than a stock LOD) and a ton of runtime!?! Geez, I'm almost convinced to buy one and I don't need it...

I'm so close to pulling the trigger to get a microstream and another L0d. I have one L0d already but I keep it on my keychains. I'm not sure whether I want to spend another $60+ on the two lights to make it into one. There's so many flashlights I want to pick up.

I may just do what you do and get a microstream ... just because it looks so cool. :twothumbs

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip on the Stylus pro is well attached, but the clip itself is thinnish sheet metal with no supporting side ridges/curvature and it bends way too easily if it happens to catch. The clip from the old Minimag AAA is MUCH stronger and stiffer, and slips right in place. The only thing with the new clip is it is chromed where the original was a nicer looking black, but I find the utility of the new clip overrides the look.

This was simply my experience, but the others I have seen have the same clip on them.

cv3po

Banned
Why not get a streamlight styluspro? With the 2x AAA and an LOD head it'll be a nice amount of light (brighter than a stock LOD) and a ton of runtime!?! Geez, I'm almost convinced to buy one and I don't need it...

This, too, is on my list! The Stylus Pro body and LOD head were almost made for each other :) Many folks have had good luck with the 10440 3.7v batt in the LOD but the 3v of the 2-AAA Stylus Pro body is much safer (within specs in fact) and as warlord noted will give great runtime. I like my EDC's as small as possible which is why I went with the Microstream the first time around but methinks the Stylus Pro will be my next purchase. Either one on its own is a great light and either one mated with an LOD head is just magical!

Last edited:

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Just my two cents... I bought a microstream and LOVED it. I bought two more, and gave one away. Just loaned my EDC one to a coworker who was leaving for a backpacking trip with no light. It's a really great light. I use lithium AAA's in mine.

I got mine on ebay for 12 or 13 bucks each. Such a good deal.

--Matt

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another recommendation for the Streamlight Microstream and Stylus Pro. I've got one of each and they are great little lights. I also have several of the AAAA powered regular SL Stylus lights and they are nice for what they are, but the output doesn't compare in the least to the new AAA powered SL's and they use the very hard to find AAAA cells. They are much more compact and have better runtime though.