Sirefire G3 versus M3T

fleegs

Enlightened
Why does the G3 head get so much hotter than the M3T head?

I was using both lights in my crawl space. The M3T was on longer than the G3 but the head on the G3 had to be 5X hotter than the M3T. I could not even touch the G3 head but the M3T head was slightly warm.

Does the surface area on the M3T really make that much difference?

Would the M3 get less hot than the G3?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

cfromc

Enlightened
Surface area and conductivity. The Turbohead has a lot more surface area hence it will take longer to heat up, all other things being equal. Imagine putting a small pot on the stove with the burner at full blast versus a 6 quart pot, both full of water. The water in the small pot will heat up much faster than the big one. Each has the same amount of heat energy being added however one has more water and thus takes a lot longer to reach boiling temperature. The same thing is happening with the lights, the M3T has more material and thus takes longer to heat. Eventually that Turbohead will get real hot, it will just take longer. The other difference is that the aluminum dissipates heat better than the Nitrolon. Putting an aluminum head on the G3 will probably lengthen the amount of time until the head gets hot but I doubt if any damage is being done running the light as it came from Surefire.

Since the M3 head is in between the size of the other two heads it will heat up faster than the M3T but still slower than the G3, plus the difference in materials. I've never run an M3 or M3T long enough to have the head be too hot to touch but I've done it with 6Ps and G2s.

Last edited:

Qoose

Enlightened
That's pretty much the deal. The M3T can take more heat before warming up because it's aluminum, has more mass, and has more surface area to dissipate the heat.

But I wanted to say, I think I need to go start a company. Sirefire. Poetic and Regal sounding too.

fleegs

Enlightened
Tempest UK- I was using the stock bulbs in each light. Around 100-125 lumens each.

I just can't believe how hot the G3 got.

Guess this is normal then.

Thanks everyone.

Rob

Latest posts