UltraFire Alpha-C1 $20.64 = poor man's SF 6PD Defender

dmz

Enlightened
UltraFire Alpha-C1 $20.64 looks like a poor man's SF 6PD Defender.
How does it compare to a SF 6PD Defender?
Are the parts interchangeable with a SF 6PD or 6P?
Is it a reverse or forward clicky?

UltraFire Alpha-C1

[link removed - DM51]

- Features a Cree XR-E P4 LED emitter
- Glass lens with Aluminum Textured Reflector
- Single mode clicky on/off
- Built-on Clip for easy carrying
- Powered by 1x18650 or 2xCR123A (3.6V~9.0V Input)
- Contains a removable Cree module inside for easily upgrading and swapping in the future

Last edited by a moderator:

copperfox

Enlightened
It comes with a reverse clickie. According to a reviewer, the tailcap threads will not accept a genuine surefire tailcap, so you can't swap it for the Z59.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
The UF Alpha C1 is proving to be a good light for my work needs. I dropped my new one on sharp, crushed rock last night. (aarg_) It still is as bright and is proving to be a tough light. If you get a brighter P60 module it should fit fine although the P4 it comes with is really useful. I can swap out mine with other P60-type drop-ins.

2xTap

Newly Enlightened
dmz,

I picked up one of these last year, mine is the Trustfire version, the TF-C1. Same light, different name. Got mine through Supertactical.com and it came with a Ultrafire CREE Q2 unit installed.

ultrafirealphac101ag5.jpg

It's somewhat similar to the SF-6P Defender.........

ultrafirealphac102da6.jpg

It does use a Reverse-Clicky. Neither the head nor tailcap are interchangeable with Surefire lights, but the LED assembly is P-60 based.........it worked perfectly in G2 and my 6PD. My BOG and Lighthound drop-ins worked in this TF-C1 as well. It's not a bad light for the money, fit and finish is pretty good considering the price. My only complaint is that the inside diameter of the body is quite roomy, and I'm assuming this for various rechargeable battery types.....when I bought this light the listing for it stated it could run off of 1 X 17670, 1 X 18650, 2 X 16340 or 2 X CR-123A's......anyway, with two CR123's installed there is some serious battery rattle. But aside from that it's not a bad light.

2xTap

Yapo

Enlightened
i got my poor man's SF 6PD...the Solarforce L2 for $15.50 shipped from Ebay although that was with a cheap Xenon bulb which i replaced with a dereelight droppin as soon as i got it...people say its a 6P clone but wouldnt it be more correct to say a 6PD clone?

2xTap

Newly Enlightened
How's the build quality and finish?

I got one of the Solarforce L2 lights a few weeks ago too, got mine in their tan finish.............

solarforcel201vs8.jpg

...........mine was ordered with the CREE R2 drop-in installed. The fit and finish is much better than the Ultrafire-C1/Trustfire TF-C1. And the Solarforce L2 is SF-6P compatable, heads, bodies, and tailcaps all swap and it'll take any P60 based drop-in. And it more closely resembles the SF-6PD.........

L to R: Solarforce L2 / SF-6PD / SF-6P / G&P T-6
solarforcel202wk7.jpg

2xTap

bpbauer7

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a cheaper light also, but dont want the annoying battery rattle that Ive heard many complaints about. Is there any battery that works with these lights that dont rattle?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
They also carry the pooman's M2 Centurion "" =)
Ultrafire C1 Cree R2-WC 5-Mode

Volumerate still have the fake "geniune" surefire once sold at DX.
"GENIUNE" M2 Centurion copycat

Im actually gonna order one of these since they look pretty geniune. Only the body with surefire printed on it is worth like 50 bucks. The crappy dropin and the probably faulty clicky can be easily modded.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the M2 centurion knock-off ultrafire C1, I was wondering if the L2 lens-retaining steel ring (non-crenelated bezel) would fit the threads? SF uses plastic too, right? I just want metal because I'm constantly fidgeting with my light, disassembling, reassembling, etc.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
I have the M2 centurion knock-off ultrafire C1, I was wondering if the L2 lens-retaining steel ring (non-crenelated bezel) would fit the threads? SF uses plastic too, right? I just want metal because I'm constantly fidgeting with my light, disassembling, reassembling, etc.
I have the C1 and L2 as well, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the threads are incompatible. Unfortunately, I can't test that out because I dropped my C1 on the bezel, which left a nasty dent, making it impossible to remove the plastic retaining ring without destroying it. Even if I did, it would be tough to re-shape the bezel to accept a solid metal ring. But I would assume that they are different. I do believe (I could be wrong) that the Solarforce ring will fit SF bezels. I know the tailcaps and heads interchange (SF to SF...err, Solarforce to Surefire. ;))

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess that means time to start saving up for a solarforce? I hear they are great, at just a little bit more money than ultrafire. which is good because right now there are too many moths in my wallet

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
A great light for the price, such a shame it doesn't take an 18650. :(
Norm

I suspect you know this and are just talking about an L2 you have, but they Solarforce do make L2's that take 18650's. One of my favorite lights at the moment is an L2 with a 18650 and forward clicky.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I suspect you know this and are just talking about an L2 you have, but they Solarforce do make L2's that take 18650's. One of my favorite lights at the moment is an L2 with a 18650 and forward clicky.
Thanks Zatoichi, that was posted over a year ago and the 18650 version of the L2 wasn't quite so common back then.
Norm

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, sorry bout that, I just didn't want to create another thread. Any of you able to confirm that L2 bezel threads don't match UF C1 threads? even a picture of the bezel unscrewed would be helpful if you happen to already have it. Thanks!

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I've had a number of Solarforce L2s and the bezel threads don't match the Ultrafire C1. The tail caps are interchangable at least on my samples.
Also the newer crop of Ultrafire C1s on DX appear to be noticeable brighter then the the ones sold previously. My latest sample is even brighter then a Solarforce module that came in a genuine L2.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
alright, thanks for the info, folks. I guess I might just buy a spare stainless steel crown andtry to dremel the teeth down. Don't have experience with steel, do you think dremel reinforced cutting wheels could cut this? I have about 4 wheels and there are 4 prongs on the bezel