Should I Get a Novatac 120P

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac 120P seems like a very sweet EDC flashlight. I like the size, and the UI programmability. However, it's priced at around $170. Should I get it considering there are cheaper alternatives available (i.e., Lumapower Incendio). I know the Novatac is made in USA while the Lumapower is made in China. What I'm trying to get is whether the NT 120P is worth the extra $100+ in comparison to what's available. The NT looks like a flashlight that could be abused without any problems. *sigh* too many flashlights, too little money :broke:

magic_elf

Banned
Yes if you're into versatily.
No if you're into max output and effeciency compared to current products.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the NT 120P is not the brightest flashlight out there and their runtime is rather low. But considering that they only use 1 x CR123a (or Li-Ion) battery, the runtime is pretty good ... a few hours at decreasing output level (still very useable lumens).

I already have flashlights that spits out blinding lumens, so I don't mind the fact that this light only have 120 lumens (and honestly, I probably be using only 60 - 80 lumens max).

I recommend the NovaTac 120E, or T to eliminate any flickering problems. If you private message me I will give you a link to a dealer that has a very good discount. Another option is the HDS RA twisty, or the Fenix P2D.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I have many nice lights but for some reason the Novatac 85P I used the most. It has many plus and very few negative. The answer is pretty obvious.

magic_elf

Banned
The E or T doesn't actually eliminate the flickering problem cos they simply don't have the low brightness level the P has.

If you set the low on the P at the same brightness as those on the E there won't be any flickering either. The T will still sometimes flicker at the 0.3 lumen level.

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
I have many nice lights but for some reason the Novatac 85P I used the most. It has many plus and very few negative. The answer is pretty obvious.

Plus 1+

I peed a little when I had to pay that much for a single cell light, but once I had my 120P and learned it's UI, it's become the one light I go to more often than the rest.
And the 120P is worth the extra over the T and E models because you can program it to work just like either of those two, plus select lot's of levels that actually do give you long runtimes.
Additionally, you get the ability to tailstand (which I use a lot), and it's a no brainer choosing the P model.

The 120P is one of the few lights that is money really well spent.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Novatac 120P seems like a very sweet EDC flashlight. I like the size, and the UI programmability. However, it's priced at around $170. Should I get it considering there are cheaper alternatives available (i.e., Lumapower Incendio). I know the Novatac is made in USA while the Lumapower is made in China. What I'm trying to get is whether the NT 120P is worth the extra $100+ in comparison to what's available. The NT looks like a flashlight that could be abused without any problems. *sigh* too many flashlights, too little money :broke:

Some of the good things about 120P

A very low low.
One hand control, your control everything with one button.
4 user adjustable light levels.
The UI and function can be changed for your preferences (to some degree).

I like my 120P :twothumbs:twothumbs

But I do not carry it in a pocket. It is to thick for my pockets, a Fenix L0D is better for that.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the Novatac 120P is the best light available for the money. Notwithstanding issues that some have had with flickering at lower levels these lights perform excellently and reliably with the best user interface yet conceived... in my opinion of course.

Battery life is also good so long as you don't keep the maximum level set to the 120 lumens setting which drives the LED much harder than the other levels to reach it's maximum output.

These lights are hard to beat and while the new Lumapower may be a great value, I would not choose it over the Novatac unless money was the primary factor.

Good luck.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great light with features not found on many other lights: 1) extremely low low 2) four programmable user definable preset light levels 3)Option for automatic lockout 4) Option to force last level used to first level on next time light used 5) thermal protection 6) programmability for different kinds of batteries offering protection for each 7) option for locate light in dark feature 8) No price control as with other premium brands. e.g, It can be found at discount for as low as $129 at yourcornerstore.com. 9) if you mess up the programming, it is easily reset to factory defaults. 10) option to have momentary on with press, off with release, or option to turn off momentary on. All this with the capability of being able to candlestand the light.

Other than the flicker issue that some people are sensitive to on low light levels (I don't see it), be aware that there are some other potential negatives: 1) plastic lens scratches easily although you can replace it with glass if it does 2) the anodized finish, especially on the black version, is not very durable and scratches easily 3) the stocky shape of the light does not lend itself well to shirt pocket carry 4)it tends to use the batteries up quickly except on the lower levels; this negative is mitigated by the fact this light is also designed to be used with rechargable cells. 5)newer lights seem to have a blue tint on low levels. (I went through at least a dozen lights recently shipped to one dealer, and they all were cold compared to older Novatacs).

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the Novatac 120P is the best light available for the money. Notwithstanding issues that some have had with flickering at lower levels these lights perform excellently and reliably with the best user interface yet conceived... in my opinion of course.

Battery life is also good so long as you don't keep the maximum level set to the 120 lumens setting which drives the LED much harder than the other levels to reach it's maximum output.

These lights are hard to beat and while the new Lumapower may be a great value, I would not choose it over the Novatac unless money was the primary factor.

Good luck.

+1

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good luck.

+2 :party:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Watch the Marketplace BST, I paid $125 for mine, like new in box with papers.

It isn't the brightest, nor is it the smallest, but it is the light that's always in my pocket.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Watch the Marketplace BST, I paid $125 for mine, like new in box with papers.

It isn't the brightest, nor is it the smallest, but it is the light that's always in my pocket.

+1

Also, If you shop hard, you can find a new 120P for $140 shipped, give or take a couple of bucks. Search some older links from January or February and you'll see some stores mentioned. Their reputations aren't the greatest but you might be able to use them to get a more reputable store to match the price!

I bought mine and sold it a week later but only because it wasn't for me. I do have a good deal of respect for them, my main complaint being the chubby size. However, that's what makes it a tank. The 120P's interface has a steep learning curve so if you want more simplicity, and a lower price, look at the other ones. The output/throw seemed a little lacking to me but only when pitted against my P2D. For that reason, I would not recommend the 85P.

clintb

Enlightened
120P, no doubt. I won't rehash all the excellent points already made, but will say that no light I've seen has beat the 120P in versatility. I did, however, just receive a LP IncedDio, and it kills the NovaTac in size. If you want to go out for the evening and have a very stealthy light with you, but still want it clipped inside your pants pocket, the IncenDio fits the bill nicely. I love both and wouldn't give up either.

chaoss

Enlightened
Another vote for the 120P, the beam of light that these put out is so nice, a slight hot spot with a gradual transition to very useable flood. Like others have said, shop around and find one in the $140 range.

scottaw

Enlightened
I went through about 10 lights last year looking for the perfect EDC, the 120P won, hands down.

P2D was great..but when the battery dies, it just goes dark, and no RCR's.

ML-1 was the best beam ever, but only 2 modes, and the fact that the body is long, the clip sucks, and it's a "rough" light didn't qualify it for edc.

L1 cree...same things as L1.

120P won for it's low low, perfect for around the house at night. 2 higher levels, one for up close work, one for outside. And a quick button hold and you get all 120 lumens. Aside from that, great beam, smooth but still grippy exterior doesn't ruin pants, and the clip is great.

120P is the perfect EDC in my book, a bunch of other lights have more specific uses for me, just not always riding with me.