Gerber / CMT Infinity Ultra

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently own one of the Gerber Infinity Ultras and it is one of my favorite lights. I just picked up the M (Military) version and really like it also. It appears to be the same light with a different head, double O rings, and type III anodizing (I am guessing). Here is my question. I keep hearing about a CMT branded version of these lights. A lot of folks on this forum on past posts say that they were better made (hard to believe...mine are tough as nails!) and they did not like the tail cap on the new ones. I have seen some photos of the CMT versions. I am guessing CMT went belly up and Gerber purchased the rights to them. Here is a link to one I am thinking about buying. It looks like some of the CMT versions I have seen, but is Gerber branded:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230196411721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

What is the difference between the Gerber and CMT and how can I get my hands on a CMT??? :thinking:

Mike

e2x2e

Enlightened
Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
As far as I know,you are correct.Gerber put its brand on CMG items,when it first got the CMG line.I have some old CMG and Gerber I.U. just about the same light far as I can tell.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CMG was one of the original "classic" designs. Basically an oversized Arc AAA. I had them and really liked them (and badmouthed the later Gerber models...).

That said, I've changed my mind since I got some of the new Gerbers. The old CMG head twisty was easier to hold than the new Gerber tail twistie, but the new Gerber uses the better type of spring loaded twisty design (like the Fenix L0x and Ex lights) which does not depend on conducting current through the threads and so is more reliable. The Gerbers also have an upgraded LED for about twice the brightness of the old CMGs.

The Gerbers are a useful and solid design.

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
I still very much prefer the CMG design.
I don't think CMG "went belly up". They were bought out by Gerber which went right to work changing the design of the lights. I guess they wanted the name and shelf space?? I wish they had not bought it.
I own the Gerber lights with white and red LEDs.
I own 5 CMG Infinity Ultras and the older Infinity lights in blue/green, yellow, and blue.

I find the Infinity Ultra to be only slightly less bright than the newer white LED Gerber. I don't consder the Gerber to be much of an improvment in brightness. It is an improvment in brightness over the older Infinity. But the run time with the Infinity is by far the best from what I have seen.
As for what is better about CMG...
On the Gerber light the lanyard hole is in the tail cap allowing it to unscrew when its on a key chain. The CMG has the hole in an Arc style lug which can not unscrew. I can use the CMG with one hand. I can not do this with the Gerber light. I prefer the lack of a spring in the CMG light. There is less to break and its not needed anyway. (The Arc AA and AAA lights have never had a spring.)

There is some battery rattle in the CMG lights but this goes away by wraping a piece of paper around the battery. The paper stays in the light and this only has to be done one time.
The finish on my dark green CMG Infinity Ultra (edc) is harder. This light spent over a year on my wifes key chain and still looks good. I replaced it with a Gerber and in a few weeks its showing silver through the finish all over the light.
The body of the CMG seems to be made thicker? Take the battery out of each and feel the heft in your hands...maybe its just me.

I really like the Military version of the CMG light....the Infinity UltraG and I have 2 of them. I don't carry them because they are getting harder to find.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a CMG, so this is biased, but...

I like the new Gerber IU's a lot. The latest ones have Nichia CS led's, which are the highest output ever used in Infinities. CMG's only had the older BS series, at 50% of the output. The Gerber is also MUCH more easily modded, as I did with my earlier one to replace the BS LED with a warm tinted CS LED. The CMG light engine is potted in epoxy and crimped into the back of the head. You do have to defeat thread locking glue on the Gerber head, as with most lights, but it is smooth sailing from there.

The Gerbers will tailstand, which I actually use frequently. I personally like the double spring supported design for the battery contacts, it is reliable. I also have NO problem operating the light one handed, almost exactly like a CMG. I hold the tailcap at the back of my palm with my pinky, and twist the head with my thumb and forefinger. As a bonus, they work wonderfully for momentary use by turning them off only about 5-10 degrees and pressing the tailcap - the play in the threads combined with the battery springs give a very positive momentary action. Their included clip is very well made, and turns the light into a great hands free headlamp by clipping it to a hat brim. These clips get swiped for use on many other AA sized lights.

After that rant, I will say it would be nice to see a modernized version of the old CMG design. I like my Arc AAA's, and as mentioned, they are of the same design philosophy throughout. But, while the potted circuit should be more durable in a really hard drop, I find that to be the only advantage, and for my uses, I prefer the new Gerber.

Led75

Newly Enlightened
I like the Infinities the 2 i have are very bright!....They make good lights to keep in your BOB.....Especially with lithiun batts !!!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber bought CMG ("Course Made Good") who made several marine related items as well as the Infinitys.

I probably overvalue my CMG Infs when compared to new lights. I just like simple, solid stuff that works.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
That eknifeworks deal was a closeout and is probably permanently out of stock, like their earlier $5 Gerber Infinity deal; so I wouldn't be waiting for that one to come back into stock.

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
For what its worth I saw this:

Output and Throw Chart
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Updated[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May 05, 2007[/FONT]
Manufacturer/Light
blank.png
Throw
blank.png
Overall

Gerber Infinity Ultra (1) 4.69 2.12

CMG Infinity Ultra (1) 4.97 2.82

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_manu.htm

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what its worth I saw this:

Output and Throw Chart
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Updated[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May 05, 2007[/FONT]
Manufacturer/Light
blank.png
Throw
blank.png
Overall

Gerber Infinity Ultra (1) 4.69 2.12

CMG Infinity Ultra (1) 4.97 2.82

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_manu.htm

For what it's worth, I do believe the current Gerber Infinities have the upgraded CS LED and output about twice the light of the ones Quickbeam reviewed, although they appear similar in every other way.

I say this because the FLR measured Gerber Infinity output of 2.2 is about 70% of the output he measured for the Dorcy 1AAA, of that generation, many of which I have. When I upgraded my Dorcy 1AAA with the CS type LED, it's measured output doubled (i.e. went to about 6.0 on the FLR scale). My recent Gerber Infinities on a fresh alky measure about 75% the output of my upgraded Dorcy 1AAA, indicating a QB output of perhaps 4.5 by my estimation. On an E2 lithium, the Gerbers put out about 90% of the upgraded Dorcy 1AAA which would be about 5.5 or so on the QB scale.

Since the stock CMG Infinities never got the CS class LEDs, I believe the current Gerbers therefore have about 55% more output than the stock CMGs with both on alkies, and perhaps 90% more when the Gerber is on an E2 lithium but the CMG is not. Because the eye perceives logarithmically, the difference may not appear that much, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
The Infinity series was made as a functional light for short-range use in the dark, before the lumen wars started. The original Infinity ran its nichia led in spec at about 1 lumen. It was more than bright enough for finding your way around a dark tent and was never intended as a searchlight. Then the Arc AAA overdrove the led to 3 lumens or so and CMG responded with the similar Infinity Ultra, which I guess is now even brighter in the Gerber version with the CS led.

The CMG Infinity series (especially the Ultra-G) are just classics, built like a tank, it's tremendously satisfying to hold and use one regardless of whether they're objectively brighter or more reliable than the Gerber version. The Gerbers are made of tubing but the CMG's are machined out of a solid chunk of aluminum and it makes all the difference. I have about ten of them and I just love them. Sure I'd like to upgrade them to modern leds but really, the batteries last so long that the old leds' lower efficiency makes no practical difference.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Wow. I didn't realize what a good deal I got with that flashlight/knife combo until you folks set me straight. I guess it might have been the best $13 I ever spent.

I sure do like it, even if it is not one of my retina-burning high lumen lights. Sure is nice for just walking around the house at night without turning on lights or waking the wife. . .

C4LED

Enlightened
The CMG Infinity series (especially the Ultra-G) are just classics, built like a tank... The Gerbers are made of tubing but the CMG's are machined out of a solid chunk of aluminum and it makes all the difference. ...the batteries last so long that the old leds' lower efficiency makes no practical difference.

Right on!