• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired For sale: McGizmo Titanium AlTiN-plated PD-S [NEW PHOTOS, TRADES CONSIDERED]

Sable

Enlightened
Time to get this to a new home, I think.

This is one of a handful of titanium PD-S units that has been plated with aluminum-titanium-nitride (AlTiN) which is one of the hardest coatings out there, usually reserved for high-speed tooling.

This is the eight-flute version, the latest Ti-PD-S design. It uses a Seoul P4 emitter at (I believe) 525ma/25ma for wonderful high and low modes. This light does have a tritium slot (and the piston is plated too), with bright green tritium inside. This light was bead-blasted before plating which gives it a very nice texture, as well as making the plating almost stealth-bomber matte - it's quite difficult to photograph correctly. It was assembled by Don, and has never been disassembled or modded. I haven't even taken the bezel ring off.

I won this light in the CPF Raffle last July, and I've used it almost every day since. I live in Southeast Alaska, and this light has been clipped to my front pocket nearly every day since I got it - I'm a nature photographer, hiker, and network engineer for remote telecon tower sites, so it's been put to the use it was intended.

Because of this, the light is not in mint condition. There is some light damage to the plating as documented below - the light itself functions flawlessly.

PDSClipAgain.jpg

As you can see, this is the clip of the light. The outside of the clip has several small scratches, which you can see around the longer slot in the clip. These are about the size of the point of a sewing needle.

Picture1-4.png

This is the butt of the light. You can see the machining texture and the bead blasting marks that the plating adhered to, as well as the several small wear and rub marks this end of the light has. The light areas in this pictures are not reflections, they are points where the plating has worn through or is simply lighter in colouration than the rest of the plating. As with all extreme close-ups, this makes the marks look far worse than they actually are - but take a look at the back of your PD (Come on, you know you have one ;)) and see how small they actually are.

Asking price on the light is 625.00USD shipped Priority insured anywhere in the world, no Paypal fees.

Trades considered as well - I'm most interested in an XR-19C, but other offers likely happily considered. :)

Glamour shot:

PDS.jpg

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: For sale: Bead-blasted AlTiN Ti-PD-S

I wish I had the money for this. Incredible light.

schiesz

Sable

Enlightened

I'm not sure - there were about four or five plated McG's that came from The Man Himself, but I don't think that there were any other standard PDs...

greenstuffs

Banned

There was 5 from Don, I believe this one does not belong from the initial five since it was from a raffle and then modamag did a run of exotic coatings and some people had their lights done. I believe there are more than 6.

Sable

Enlightened

There you go then. :) I know there aren't many, but I'm not sure of the "total population," as it were.

jag808808

Enlightened

Not to mention that Don would probably never do this (AlTiN) again...

Sable

Enlightened

It's the latest design for the PD-S - I count 8 slots on the head.

Sable

Enlightened

Replicated in 1st post :)

Last edited:

Sable

Enlightened
Re: For sale: Bead-blasted Titanium AlTiN-plated PD-S [EDITED WITH NEW PHOTOS AND INF

:eek:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: For sale: Bead-blasted Titanium AlTiN-plated PD-S [EDITED WITH NEW PHOTOS AND INF

Bounce-flash macro picture with less background lighting will give you better picture results and expose more of the nice finish...:thumbsup:

Sable

Enlightened

Ah, if only had my macro lens right now.

A nicer shot of the butt is up, with less backlighting.