When will Fenix change the P2D to handle 3,7 rechargables properly???

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Am I the only one that think`s the Fenix P2d would be the best edc pocket rocket for the money if fenix would enable it to be used properly with 3,7 v rechargables. With all modes working fine and not just turbo and sos.... I love to have guilt free lumens and hate it when the versality of the p2d gets trashed because of that. (now i know the 3,0 ones work but they just don`t have sufficient capacity).

So Fenix what`s up? You can do it with the P3d... please do it with the P2d also:eek: for us and guilt free lumens!

Last edited:

Emkap

Newly Enlightened
Re: When will Fenix change the P2D to handle rechargables properly???

I use rechargables and get all the levels. You have to remember the P2D was designed to use a commercial cell that is only 3 volts. The answer: use a 3V rechargable. Guilt free lumans strikes again. :cool:

I should add that you may need a different charger if you go to a 3V cell as many chargers are designed to handle 3.6V cells:thumbsdow

Last edited:

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened

I use rechargables and get all the levels. You have to remember the P2D was designed to use a commercial cell that is only 3 volts. The answer: use a 3V rechargable. Guilt free lumans strikes again. :cool:

I should add that you may need a different charger if you go to a 3V cell as many chargers are designed to handle 3.6V cells:thumbsdow

Read my post :poke:I don`t wanna use the 3,0 cells. not enough capacity.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened

I imagine you are probably referring to the LiFe PO4 3V rechargeables. You are right, you take a big hit on capacity with those.

Try the Tenergy 3V Li-Ion rechargeables though. Been using em in my edc's for at least 6 months now. They work great.

Emkap

Newly Enlightened

You are right I should have read it more carefully,:oops: but even so with the intermittent use I give the P2D 3V cells have worked fine.

Yapo

Enlightened
I've been wondering the same thing for my P1D CE...thats the only downfall for it...no medium/low on 3.7 rcr123!!! thats why i've ordered the new 2008 Olight T10-Q5 which is now 3.7v rcr123 friendly as well as having a higher high and lower lows/medium than the previous model...the only down side is that its about 2cm longer than my P1D and about 1cm longer than the P2D...a little big for a rcr123 light...i cant wait to get it!

i'm thinking their future models might be 3.7v rcr123 friendly since they are working on a 18650 light...they might as well follow the rechargable friendly trend!:twothumbs

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Am I the only one that think`s the Fenix P2d would be the best edc pocket rocket for the money if fenix would enable it to be used properly with 3,7 v rechargables. With all modes working fine and not just turbo and sos.... I love to have guilt free lumens and hate it when the versality of the p2d gets trashed because of that. (now i know the 3,0 ones work but they just don`t have sufficient capacity).

So Fenix what`s up? You can do it with the P3d... please do it with the P2d also:eek: for us and guilt free lumens!
Hmm... while I do have both 3.7v RCR123's as well as the LiFeP04 3.0v rechargeables, it is a bit of nuisance as I have to remind myself to change the setting on my charger. As well, if I carry my P2D and other lights that run on 3.7v 123's, it means carrying double the number of batteries. :ohgeez:

So, would I look forward to the day when I can jettison one of those types of batteries... you betcha! Fenix? Whaddaya say? Help us Flashoholics out, will you! :D:popcorn:

greenstuffs

Banned
I thought fenix was so ahead of the game that this "issue" was addressed already. I had owned the first L1D cree and lion was not supported after a yr this should be a non issue, however i'm pretty sure their R&D department is busy thinking about which emitter they should put in after the Q5 instead of developing a new driver board.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a bit harder than jsut tweaking the driver board. RCR's top out at 4.2V, which is above the Vf of the LED, then drop below the Vf of the LED. So, the voltage needs to be bucked when the battery voltage is 4.2, and boosted when using 3V primaries. The P1 and P2 have boost circuits, and DD when Vs>Vf, so you loose the lower modes. When Vs<Vf, then the boost circuit can work, and all modes will work.

The voltage of a Li-ion is so perfectly wrong for LED's it's unreal :p

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
When Fenix markets it`s own brand of rechargable batts. Perhaps included with the light purchase.

geek4christ

Enlightened
IIRC, 4sevens said that Fenix is experimenting on a buck/boost driver. I can't find that post for some reason, though...

This is purely speculation, but I think they are worried that they will lose the "best regulation in town" crown if they come out with a brand new buck/boost driver that hasn't been put through a strict QC process.

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
I've been wondering the same thing for my P1D CE...thats the only downfall for it...no medium/low on 3.7 rcr123!!! thats why i've ordered the new 2008 Olight T10-Q5 which is now 3.7v rcr123 friendly as well as having a higher high and lower lows/medium than the previous model...the only down side is that its about 2cm longer than my P1D and about 1cm longer than the P2D...a little big for a rcr123 light...i cant wait to get it!

i'm thinking their future models might be 3.7v rcr123 friendly since they are working on a 18650 light...they might as well follow the rechargable friendly trend!:twothumbs

Yes to everything! I would have ordered the olight too because of that but i love the fenix head-screw-mode thing... .

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
IIRC, 4sevens said that Fenix is experimenting on a buck/boost driver. I can't find that post for some reason, though...

This is purely speculation, but I think they are worried that they will lose the "best regulation in town" crown if they come out with a brand new buck/boost driver that hasn't been put through a strict QC process.

Hmm that would be sad .... but anyway 4Sevens ??? Can you give us ... or them (Fenix) a hint ??:poke:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 If Olight and others can do it than Fenix should be able to - this very point has been my reason I quit buying Fenix for the most part (that and the PWM on some). I'm sure this could be fixed and I included this info in my Fenix Survey answers but no fix yet. I'd like to get more Fenix as they have some great designs but I've gone to mostly 3.6 volt RCR's and the 3.0 volt RCR's still don't work as well nor do they seem to have as much of a 'low' as primaries so I gave up on Fenix for now. I'm really glad to see 4sevens is carrying some other lights now beside Fenix as I fully support him as one of our best dealers here. Hopefully Fenix will get this issue resolved eventually.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenstuffsRe: When will Fenix change the P2D to handle 3,7 rechargables properly???
I thought fenix was so ahead of the game that this "issue" was addressed already. I had owned the first L1D cree and lion was not supported after a yr this should be a non issue, however i'm pretty sure their R&D department is busy thinking about which emitter they should put in after the Q5 instead of developing a new driver board.

Aren't you the guy who I often read here (CPF) getting MAD when anyone questions SureFire vs. Fenix? Just curious, as I see this post as nothing but trying to "bash" Fenix. My .02 FWIW.

geek4christ

Enlightened

Found it: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2402594#post2402594

"...there is one in the works," he says.

greenstuffs

Banned
Aren't you the guy who I often read here (CPF) getting MAD when anyone questions SureFire vs. Fenix? Just curious, as I see this post as nothing but trying to "bash" Fenix. My .02 FWIW.

I'm just saying fenix is using the same driverboards for a long time, anything wrong in that?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought fenix was so ahead of the game that this "issue" was addressed already.

It was in the way you said it (above). But whatever, I just found it interesting.