New Streamlight Jr. LED w/ Cree P4 (C4)

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Darn shame they did away with the "hot running" gen 1 circuit that sucked the AA's dry in around an hour. I bet the "C4" would REALLY blast with that circuit...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's using a K2 Flipchip, if it's the same "C4" that's used in the Super Tac.

-dan

liquidsix

Enlightened
I think it's using a K2 Flipchip, if it's the same "C4" that's used in the Super Tac.

-dan

The C4 in the super tac was a k2? Hmm, that makes this an interesting light, I was interested in getting both a 2xAA light, and checking out something with a K2 TFFC. 2 birds with one stone...

mark40sw

Newly Enlightened
Just got a Streamlight Jr LED (C4). Very roughly speaking, it puts out about as much light as my 3 D-cell LED Maglight or Streamlight TL2 LED (older non-C4).

I have an older Streamlight Jr LED (non C4) that puts out not much light and was very surprised how much more this puts out. The new SL Jr (C4) has a deeper reflector for a more focused beam. Also have rechargeable Eneloops in it and working fine.

BTW... Also bought the newer Streamlight TL2 (C4) and it has twice the light as the older (non C4) LED TL2.

TexLite

Enlightened
It does look like a definite improvement over the last incarnation.I like the fact that they changed from an optic to a reflector.I changed the Lux1 out for a Seoul USWOH in my 1st gen.Output went from 40 something to around 90 in my lightbox,but I still didnt like the beam.

Michael

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
Looks interesting. I love the form factor of my gen 1, but the runtime is horrible and the brightness is disappointing.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Interesting news, thanks all. Mark40sw, thank you very much for your observations, and welcome to CandlePowerForums!!

mark40sw

Newly Enlightened
Mark, are you getting decent runtime with eneloops, and how much estimated brightness? Thanks. :grin2:

Haven't had the Jr CR4 in use much. With the Eneloops, the brightness is just the same as new alkalines. I would venture to say they will run "better" because they hold a better voltage over their output as compared to alkaline.

I can not give brightness level estimates, just that it puts out as much or more than my maglite 3 D-cell LED or my older Streamlight TL2 (non C4).

One comment that a co-worker (industrial maintenance electrician) that has a double AA Fenix is that he prefers his Streamlight Jr C4 over the Fenix because it is quicker to use and has a nice light.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Mark,

Can you tell if it is a K2 Flip Chip as claimed or is it actually a Cree XRE? Photos of the bezel of this light at Brightguy kinda look like it might be a Cree..

mark40sw

Newly Enlightened
Mark,

Can you tell if it is a K2 Flip Chip as claimed or is it actually a Cree XRE? Photos of the bezel of this light at Brightguy kinda look like it might be a Cree..

The Streamlight Jr. C4 with the reflector off reads "CREE-12"

The Streamlight TL2 C4 has what appears to be a K2 looking at it with the reflector off.

TORCH_BOY.... My friend has a Fenix L2D Q5. While the Fenix does indeed put out more light, he just prefers the SL Jr based on simpler to use, feel, and its having good light for what we need (industrial / factory). (Not that he doesn't like the Fenix)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
SL Junior was my first LEd, I loved that thing. Gave it away to someone. Simplicity, reliability. Ran like crazy on Lithiums.

This one cannot compete with Fenix lumens wise

TexLite

Enlightened
FWIW the original had a pot. on the board that changed the output current,if you wanted to pick out the epoxy that Streamlight glued it with.I contacted Streamlight after they "upgraded" the Lux-Jr for longer runtimes to see if my first-gen was upgradeable,they said no.Its pure speculation on my part but I bet the only "upgrade" they did was adjust the pot. for decreased current output.

Michael

aubie515

Newly Enlightened
Greeting everyone...I can tell you all that we are using the K2's in our lights.

The Super Tac and Stinger LED are using K2s and so are the other lights.

I work for Streamlight in the repair department. I know by reading these threads that I don't have the technical knowledge as many of the knowledgable members do on this forum. I will try to answer any questions you may have for me.

As far as upgrades go...our company does not believe in being able to upgrade lights. I wished they would change that way of thinking, but I suppose that is why "they" make the big bucks.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi aubie; welcome to CPF!! You must have lots of cool SLs...

When is SL going to release a new Propoly 4AA and 3C with the new emitter? I think there is quite a strong following for those models around here.

I was also wondering if SL was planning on:
A led version of the Strion
A D cell alk led flashlight

We appreciate any and all info!

:wave: