Maxtorch        

Thread: SOLD: GD917 SSC P4 Sandwich w/ Custom Heatsink

Flashaholic*

Default SOLD: GD917 SSC P4 Sandwich w/ Custom Heatsink

I have another Sandwich for sale identical to the other one I sold last week. Just built. GD917 converter, SSC P4 USXOH. Very bright! Perfect for 14670 MiniMags & of course will run on 2AA. I run mine in a 14500 MiniMag. Must use a tailcap switch with this one. SOLD

Will include new Kroll switch for $5 extra.

Note: Pill height is standard 17mm but the emitter sits on a pedastal that is 1.75mm tall. It will fit any Sandwich application but because of the pedastal it may not work depending on the reflector/optic configuration.

Thanks

Last edited by darkzero; 05-09-2008 at 09:04 PM.
    -Will-

Sorry, I have retired from flashlight modding & I do not make custom flashlights. Thank you for your understanding.

My Mod Archive

Flashaholic*

Default Re: FS: GD917 SSC P4 Sandwich w/ Custom Heatsink

bump with price drop
    -Will-

Sorry, I have retired from flashlight modding & I do not make custom flashlights. Thank you for your understanding.

My Mod Archive

What do you think is the lumen output on this? I currently have a minimag with the TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME (TLE-5EX) LED replacement bulb in it, it is bright but wondering how much brighter this might be? Thanks
    Vettes and Mags swaggartphotography.com
    In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Swagg View Post
    What do you think is the lumen output on this? I currently have a minimag with the TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME (TLE-5EX) LED replacement bulb in it, it is bright but wondering how much brighter this might be? Thanks
    I'm not sure what the lumen output is, I can not measure that. The SSC P4 is rated at 240 lumens @ 1A. This one is running at just under 1A at 917ma. I searched & the TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME (TLE-5EX) is rated at 140 lumens. All I can do is give you a lux reading.

I run mine with a 20mm reflector & the output is amazing from a 1AA size MiniMag. This one is using a GD board made for use with a Li-Ion.

Also with any drop in Mag upgrade, heatsinking is an issue which of course affects output. Even with standard sandwiches heatsinking becomes an issue when running higher than 750ma. I used a custom heatsink instead of the emitter board, which helps with the heatsinking issue.
    -Will-

My Mod Archive

Only been sort of eyeballing this thing, so if someone else gets it, no big deal. Two things nonetheless:

1. Since the emitter die is sitting higher than where a Lux would be, I assume a Minimag head couldn't be turned down as far, which tends to make the head wobble more. Does that happen here? Also, how's the focus with a 20mm reflector, or regular MM reflector?

2. Hehe... I think you forgot to add the drop to the price drop.

Edit: Oops... I lied. Two more things. How hot does your MM get after X minutes of runtime? And, can it run continuously without the SSC blue shifting?

Thanks, DZ!
    Last edited by Bimmerboy; 04-16-2008 at 07:29 AM.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy View Post
    Only been sort of eyeballing this thing, so if someone else gets it, no big deal. Two things nonetheless:

1. Since the emitter die is sitting higher than where a Lux would be, I assume a Minimag head couldn't be turned down as far, which tends to make the head wobble more. Does that happen here? Also, how's the focus with a 20mm reflector, or regular MM reflector?

2. Hehe... I think you forgot to add the drop to the price drop.

Edit: Oops... I lied. Two more things. How hot does your MM get after X minutes of runtime? And, can it run continuously without the SSC blue shifting?

Thanks, DZ!
    Yes correct, the head will not screw down as far. If using a 20mm reflector the head just barely screws on just enough to fully cover the oring.

My head does not wobble at all. Since you need to use a tailcap with this sandwich I use a thicker oring which keeps the head from turning very easily. With the thicker oring the head does not wobble at all. I included a thicker oring with the last sandwich I sold. I would have done the same here. I use both IMS & Khatod 20mm reflectors & the beam is very nice.

I did drop the price but it was before I replied with the bump. Price was $60 which is what I sold the last one for.

After 2-3 minutes it starts getting warm. After 7-8 minutes is when it starts to get uncomfortable holding it. This is in a 14500 Mag with head & body finned.

The tint on this one is on the cool side. For some reason the deep 20mm reflectors make it look even cooler. I've left it on for 10-15mins continuously & never got the angy blue out of the P4 as I do with my Nexgen750 sandwich running on li-ion. The Nexgen750 sandwich & my MMadj sandwich both have USXOH & using the standard emitter board. Both will turn angry blue when running a li-ion after a couple minutes. Not sure if that's because of heatsinking or just too much voltage.

Anyways, I've only built three GD917 sandwiches with P4s using this heatsink. I only sold one so far. I'll probably make two more sandwiches like this using crees & sell one. After that I'm not planning on making anymore. Thought some may be interested in a better sinked & higher output sandwich but it seems like no one's really into Minimags anymore? With that said I will just keep this one for myself too.

Thanks
    -Will-

My Mod Archive