surefire l5

eric1975

Newly Enlightened
does the rubber ring on the surefire l5 come off and is surefire going to stop making the l5

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
does the rubber ring on the surefire l5 come off and is surefire going to stop making the l5

If you mean the rings of the Combat Grip, then yes, they can be removed.

SureFire have just updated the L5 with the KL5A head, so it doesn't look like they are stopping production.

Regards,
Tempest

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L5 isn't in the 2008 catalog. I would not be so quick to decide that the L5 (now with an updated bezel - the KL5A) is going to continue to be a regular member of SureFire's product range.
I believe SureFire have bigger plans for an alternative/replacement to the L5.

Al

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, it would seem strange to release the KL5A and then promptly discontinue the L5 (and supposedly the KL5/KL5A too, therefore). But if they have something better up their sleeves, then who am I to complain? :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

Size15's

Flashaholic
Since SureFire shelved the L5 (KL5) replacement shortly after SS2007 and the L5 (KL5) is dropped from the 2008 catalog I'd say SureFire's update of the KL5 to the KL5A is to fill the gap between the L5 and the L5's replacement until such time as they are ready to replace it.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough then, I'll keep twiddling my thumbs until SureFire makes an announcement :D

Regards,
Tempest

cv3po

Banned
I truly am not trying to start some s**t and I LOVE my new SF E1B (which I believe uses a Cree?) but I still wish it didn't take SF so long to implement new, more efficient emitters in their lights. I understand that some folks like the tint and beam pattern of the LuxV but they should at LEAST offer modern emitters as an option. With the complex designs that they produce you can't tell me that it'd be too difficult to swap an emitter and tweak a driver. IMO they just sell so well (since they are sold in many B&M stores and spend lots on advertising) that they just don't need to do it to make money! To me, though, that's no excuse. SF is a top torch maker and SHOULD be on the cutting edge!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, though, that's no excuse. SF is a top torch maker and SHOULD be on the cutting edge!

This question has been asked and answered many, many times in the past and at the risk of sounding impatient, I'll try to answer it again. The short answer is, Surefire is using modern emitters in their lights so everybody can be happy now. The long answer is that they, by nature, take a longer time developing products than most companies. Why did it take so long to put Crees in the E1L, E2L, and L1? Because they were developing custom optics and new drivers for the lights. In the L1s case they substantially changed the product. Why so long to put a Seoul in the P60L? Because they were working out the circuitry that reduces power to the emitter to prevent damage from heat build up. They also have a military contract which requires them to have a certain amount of parts for a light at any given time. They just take more time to do things.

Latest posts