SureFire LED for Rem 870?

CDI

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if a LED module can be fitted to the SureFire 618FGA 870 forend?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P60 LED modules will fit, but they won't work if the batteries of the light are reversed (positive to the tail).

I think some of the Dereelight drop-ins have a reversed polarity, so they would work if the batteries go in "backwards".

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Surefire KL3 on my forend. Works good, has held up to over 1000 rounds so far with no problems.

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
I tried putting a Malkoff M60 (using a C2 bezel) on it but the spring on the dropin wouldn't make contact with the battery terminal. Looks like it would if I stretched it a bit but I'm reluctant to do it in fear of damaging the M60. I haven't tried any other dropins.

CDI

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Surefire KL3 on my forend. Works good, has held up to over 1000 rounds so far with no problems.

Are you using it indoors or out? My intended use is indoors almost exclusively. Reason I say that is range. I won't have any shots exceeding 15 yards under any circumstances. Is the KL3 enough at those distances?

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
I use it as a duty/entry gun so I guess you could say it's mostly used indoors. On the range at night, the KL3 works OK out to 25 yards. Enough light to ID the target. Indoors, it lights up rooms very nicely. I would like to get the M60 to work on it. Now that would really light up a room!

Paladin

Enlightened
The 2008 Surefire Tactical products catalog on page 38 shows their shotgun forend weapon lights now use the P60L. At typical shotgun distances, and especially indoors, they should provide plenty of light.

Paladin

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's "L60L" LED Lamp Module for Classic WeaponLight forends such as the shotgun and MP5 forends is not yet released.
Replacing the L60's Z32 shock isolated bezel with the standard "6P" bezel so that the P60L can be used has meant that the L60 Lamp Module adapter collar/body needs to be re-designed for this new application.

Greg_Jones

Newly Enlightened
SureFire's "L60L" LED Lamp Module for Classic WeaponLight forends such as the shotgun and MP5 forends is not yet released.
Replacing the L60's Z32 shock isolated bezel with the standard "6P" bezel so that the P60L can be used has meant that the L60 Lamp Module adapter collar/body needs to be re-designed for this new application.

I'll admit that the more I try and learn about the P60 LED assemblies, the more confused I get. I have 3 models of SureFire lights that take the P60/61 assembly (M2, G2, and 618FA) and there appears to be a question on what aftermarket P60 LED assembly will work in what light, using (2) CR123 batteries. One vendor lists a fitting ring that is required in a M2, another vendor lists 4 different assemblies depending on if the light is round body, M2, old style, etc. Given the fact that SureFire only has one P60 incandescent assembly to fit all these models, why is there such variation in the aftermarket assemblies? Also, what is the L60L-is that the assembly to fit the reverse battery weapon lights?

I really wanted my first P60 LED to go in my 618FA, but I cannot risk using an assembly in this application that may or may not be 100% reliable. Is the SureFire P60L the safest choice? Or are there any existing threads or advice here that would clear up why there are so many different sized LED assemblies to replace the P60?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L60 is the current Lamp Module used by the SureFire 618FA.
That I'm aware of - the SF123A batteries should inserted +ve end forwards like a normal SureFire.

The SureFire P60L can replace the P60 in the L60 but the shock isolated bezel (model Z32) is not thermally ideal and under these conditions constant-on use of the P60L will result in it quickly throttling back the output to prevent the LED from overheating.
Just as the G2L features a standard metal "6P" bezel, the LED-versions of the forend WeaponLights will also have standard metal bezels instead of the Z32 shock isolated bezels.

However the L60's Lamp Module adapter collar/body was designed for the Z32 and not the standard "6P" bezel.

To upgrade the 618FA (etc) to LED SureFire will be releasing a new Lamp Module - the L60L (I believe it'll be called) that ensures the P60L is well hosted.

I hope this helps?

Kato

Enlightened
I experience the same confusion recently. Here's what I learned:

The Malkoff and the BOG will fit the M2, but because of the built-in shock isolating features of the M2, the aftermarket drop-in need an additional fitting ring (Malkoff) or spring (BOG) to make the light work. The Surefire lamp assemblies mentioned in prior posts are already optimized to fit.

The G2 will fit all of the listed drop-ins and lamp assemblies. The ones with the Nitrolon bezel don't conduct heat away as well as metal bezels, resulting in the possibility of the LED overheating after prolonged use.

The 618FA has shock-isolating features including a battery barrier. The Malkoff and the BOG won't fit properly because of this. The P60L will work, but refer to Size15's post below for restrictions.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
Go ahead and stretch the tailspring on the Malkoff. If you tear it up, I will replace it no problem. Also I have documented results from an objective third party stating that he has fired more than 9,000 rounds (AR 15) on one my dropins with no failure.

Thanks, Gene

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I used a $10 mounting clip to attach my streamlight scorpian to my 870.
The body is rubber so it should absorb some shock. I havent fired it yet with the light on, anyone know whether this might be a bad idea?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Umm... SF's website says the forend uses P60 and P61 modules... not L60 as Size15 has stated.
Umm... it's all about learning to use the correct [SureFire] terminology... :nana:

The P60, P61 and P60L are Lamp Assemblies not Lamp Modules.

Lamp Assemblies are the assemblies featuring the lamp (incandescent or LED) and may or may not include a reflector and/or spring contacts etc.

Lamp Modules are WeaponLight components. In most cases they feature a removable Lamp Assembly. For example: the L60 includes a P60, the L90 includes a P90.

Lamp Modules screw into WeaponLight Housings such as dedicated forend housings or universal housing bodies.

I'm going to try the P60L on mine tonight.
Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Kato

Enlightened
Go ahead and stretch the tailspring on the Malkoff. If you tear it up, I will replace it no problem. Also I have documented results from an objective third party stating that he has fired more than 9,000 rounds (AR 15) on one my dropins with no failure.

Thanks, Gene

Woo-hoo!

Gene's post reminded me that I had a slightly modified L60 lamp module in my spare parts kit. I had removed the plastic sleeve from inside the battery barrier. The sleeve had isolated the inner spring of a P60/P90 lamp assembly from the battery tube wall.

I installed Gene's M60 into the modified L60 and voila! Light!

The plastic sleeve had created just enough gap that the rear spring of the Malkoff failed to contact the batteries. Removing the sleeve, or stretching the spring as Gene suggested, fixed the problem.

Now I'm going to have to buy more Malkoff's for my other weaponlights!

Thanks, Gene!

Last edited:

Kato

Enlightened
FYI, exchanging the 618FA's Z32 bezel for a 6P bezel allows the M60 to sit closer to the window. This brings out the best of the M60's wide flood beam and is perfect for a CQB shotgun.

Greg_Jones

Newly Enlightened
Umm... it's all about learning to use the correct [SureFire] terminology...

I agree, and as a suggestion to SureFire, I think it would be helpful if they would clarify things a bit concerning the P60L. They are promoting the P60L as a replacement in any light that uses the P60/61 or P90/91 lamp assembly. From what I am (slowly) learning about the LED technology, there will be fitment and/or performance trade-offs if the P60L is used in a G2/G3 Nitrolon and the 618 weapons lights. Are there any other models that this would apply to? I did not even realize that the G2/G3 Nitrolon lights use a different bezel than what the G2/G3 LED lights use.