Nitcore Memory Issue?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
My NDI is acting up. It doesn't seem like it's memorizing my "user-defined" brightness correctly. After I set the brightness level, it seems to memorize it only for a while. After I switch on/off a few times, it will be either on Max or Min brightness.

Has anyone else encounter this issue? Anything I should or could be doing? I really don't want to exchange or return it since it took about a month to get it from Hong Kong. If I exchange it, I won't be seeing my NDI for a month and a half. and I really like this light. I guess if I want to keep the flashlight at max all the time, then it won't be an issue. What should I do? :help:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be certain you are using the memory feature correctly and changing light levels correctly. If you tighten the bezel while in the user defined mode and then quickly loosen the bezel BEFORE it switches into HIGH, the light will start ramping up to the brightest level. Quickly loosen and tighten again BEFORE it switches to high and it starts ramping down levels. At any point, either while ramping up or down, hit the tailcap switch and your memory is set. You can inadvertantly loose your setting when switching from user defined mode if you switch to high and don't wait a second to let high switch in, but instead loosen the bezel again beforehand. This will cause the light to ramp either up or down. Sometimes you could be in high and try to get the light to strobe but by loosening and tightening the bezel too slowly, you end up in user defined mode without realizing it. Then when you switch back and forth to high from there you start ramping again and the light either ends up at Max or Min, if you haven't first hit the tail switch.

If you are sure you are doing everyting correctly, clean all the threads and contacts. If you need to use lube to make the head turn smoothly, use less or none at all on the threads; just apply to the O-ring.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Also give it more of a twist. If you're only twisting maybe 1/8 of a turn, intermittent contact from slight head wobble can cause the light to ramp. Try doing 1/4 turn at least

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could give it a shot and see if alleviates the problem. I'm crossing my fingers that it would work. Maybe it's because I didn't twist it enough. It was just out of the blue when after setting to the desired level and then an hour later when I turned it on ... it slowly rampped down. I had to reset to the desire level ... test it, turn it off and then a little while later it was at full brightness. :thinking:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine did something like that just a couple times. I didn't note exactly what was going on that may have contributed but most times it works exactly as it should. Only takes a few seconds to reprogram and it keeps MY memory fresh on how to use this light :)

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys don't think this issue warrant me to send it back to Hong Kong? It's something I would rather not do because of the LOOOONG shipping time.

Marduke

Flashaholic
You guys don't think this issue warrant me to send it back to Hong Kong? It's something I would rather not do because of the LOOOONG shipping time.

No, it just sounds like you need to take a little while to play with it and learn how to properly operate it's modes.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet. Thanks Marduke. I was hoping someone would say that. I would much rather someone say that :stupid: than for me to go through the hassle.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also recommend giving the light more time. Perhaps you are making one of the many mistakes I made:

1. If you happen to turn the light on and it is extremely bright, you might think you are in HIGH MODE. Always check to see if the head is tight before assuming you are in HIGH MODE. If it looks bright and the head is tight, you are in HIGH MODE. However, if the head is loose, even if the light is extremely bright, you are in user definable mode where the light has already been set at maximum. I have made the mistake of thinking I was in high, then loosening the head further to get out of what I thought was high. Of course this does nothing, so then I tighten and loosen the head and it still does nothing. Why? I am in user definable mode with the light at maximum. The light attempts to ramp up with the first back and forth tighening/loosening but can't go up beyond Max where it is. I must than tighten/loosen a second time to get it to ramp down. At this point if I don't hit the tail switch sometime during this process, I will be down at minimum and it will stay there when I turn off the light. If all of this is happening in a bright room, you may not even notice that the light is ramping from one extreme to the other. This could be why you are losing your settings.

2. If you are in HIGH mode, be sure the head is fully tightened. If it is only partially tight, and you switch into user definable mode, the light may accidentally start strobing, as you loosen the head.

3. Be sure you make complete tighten/loosening movements when trying to either get into strobe mode from high, or into ramping mode from user definable mode. Complete tightening movements are essential, before loosening. Don't just turn the head in the direction of tightening it. Turn until the head turns no further before quickly loosening it.

I agree with Marduke. Play with the light. I am sure it is fine.

Last edited: