Disney Flashlight??

hcd615

Enlightened
I am going to Disney World in less then 2 weeks and I was wondering what opinions you guys have on which light to take. I was thinking about taking my SF U2, that way I have low light to read maps and such at night and in rides and also bright enough to navigate if I need 100 lumens. I think the new SF E1L and E2L might not be bright enough. I only have SF lights so keep the suggestions to them. Thanks!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the U2 is an excellent choice!

However, I doubt I could just bring one light. Maybe pocket the E1L and use the U2 for other reasons....night walks, or .........breaking into Mickys room at night to set up a giant mouse trap with some cheese:sssh::whistle:

Would you add a pic of your "Camo E2e to this thread PLEASE???
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192419

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
U2 sounds look a good, versatile choice :eek:

But I'll echo what DaFABRICATA said - don't just go for one :). The E1L would be small enough to just tuck away as a backup (can't say that without thinking of the E1B now) until you need it.

Two is one and one is none :thumbsup:

Regards,
Tempest

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a couple of small lights to Disneyworld in '06. Arc AAA and something else small that I can't recall. They do come in handy.

For my part, I would forgo the U2 and take a couple of small lights like the Arc or Fenix AAA. These are plenty good in total or near darkness, and take up no space. If you are like me, you will be hauling a load of stuff in a waist pack or man purse (!) and don't need the extra weight and bulk of a U2. JMO.

The electricity went out when we were in Space Mountain, so having a light was very handy. What was cool about that was that we got to see the interior of the giant concrete Space Mountain building when the lights came back on. Its basically a giant indoor roller coaster.

Ride up front with the driver of the monorail. You just have to ask. Its awesome.

I dislike almost everything, but I love Disneyworld.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I went in October and found park lighting more than adequate. I used an X1 inside the Pirates ride while on line to look for a lost toy, and that was plenty of light. Other than that, I didn't need it. You don't want to fire up that U2 on high inside any dark ride, but it'll be nice to know you can if you need it.

There was a similar thread last year:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172570

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think after one or two days you'll dread lugging a U2 over the parks. Trust me, keep as light weight as possible, you only get weighed down with more stuff as the day goes on. I vote one or two AAA lights, with an extra fauxton or AAA light in the camera pouch. Most of the time you'll want <5-10 lumens anyhow, as you don't want to destroy the ambiance of the dark rides/locations.

BTW, I recommend carrying a small button compass, similar to one of these. They take up no space, but prove to be very useful when orientating yourself with a map. They certainly are not precision, but they are plenty accurate to let you know the general direction you need to head (ie. left, right, or straight).

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
I am going to Disney World in less then 2 weeks and I was wondering what opinions you guys have on which light to take. I was thinking about taking my SF U2, that way I have low light to read maps and such at night and in rides and also bright enough to navigate if I need 100 lumens. I think the new SF E1L and E2L might not be bright enough. I only have SF lights so keep the suggestions to them. Thanks!

I was just there 2 weeks ago and I brought along 2 lights and an SC1 -6 battery carrier with a P90 extra bulb in the carrier. I had a little pouch in front for that, which also had a G3 with the 200 lumen bulb, or P91 incan bulb (+6 batteries in SC1). I also had around my neck one of my L1's. The L1 was all I really needed for anything dark there, or that haunted house BS thing. It was kinda funny when one of the haunted house goobers came up from behind me and asked me to not use my L1, I laughed and said some German to him, while I hit the L1 on full power (65 high / 10 lumens low) in his face:crackup:, while acting like a confused German tourist.

I would think 65 lumens would work very well anywhere there, it did for me and the family anyway. But I had 200 lumens with my G3 if I needed it, which I did not.

Have fun!

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
The L1 was all I really needed for anything dark there, or that haunted house BS thing. It was kinda funny when one of the haunted house goobers came up from behind me and asked me to not use my L1, I laughed and said some German to him, while I hit the L1 on full power (65 high / 10 lumens low) in his face:crackup:, while acting like a confused German tourist.

Ouch! Disney's Haunted Mansion is a classic ride, and as Marduke wisely noted, it's not nice to destroy the ambiance of the dark rides. Flash photography is also not allowed, as it ruins the ride for the rest of the folks. That's what the "haunted house goober" probably had in mind when he asked you to refrain from using your light.

I'd stick with a low-level light if it's really necessary inside a ride.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Ouch! Disney's Haunted Mansion is a classic ride, and as Marduke wisely noted, it's not nice to destroy the ambiance of the dark rides. Flash photography is also not allowed, as it ruins the ride for the rest of the folks. That's what the "haunted house goober" probably had in mind when he asked you to refrain from using your light.

I'd stick with a low-level light if it's really necessary inside a ride.

Me and the family were at the end of the line waiting to get into the seat, and it was dark enough in there that I did not want to let my 3 year old trip while we were walking. Once seated, and the ride started I had no need to turn one on, and it was only on for about 1 or 2 seconds, except for the goober.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I went last year I only brought a Jetbeam MKIIx and a Fenix EO mostly because I did not want to bring my more expensive lights. They both were more than adequate and they were easy to carry. Also, not that its a big problem, but I did not need to carry spare batteries because AA's were everywhere. CR123's were a little more scarce and of course more expensive.
I echo the suggestion for smaller more pocketable lights and also to bring more than one. There are plenty of places a light came in handy. Dark theatres and attractions as well as walking the parks at night. I even used the strobe for the first time ever to help my wife spot me from a distance after coming off a ride. At night all the kids had flashing toys, necklaces etc. and my strobe was more noticeable from afar.
Have fun!!

marc123

Newly Enlightened
What the hell?? Do you guys really need a flashlight at fricking Disney world? It's not like you're going spelunking...

That Disney land must be a wild place...don't they have lights there?

From reading these posts it sounds like you guys are planning a hiking trip!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I have the same problem when I go to the movie`s...I say take as many as you can...Dumbo...or those nasty dwarfs...bet they can be sneaky....

The areas that are dark at Disney are ment to be that way...part of the magic...or romance of it all...can`t you afford a little light...or a multi level little light like the LOD Q4.

You don`t need a lot of light there...really...and if you want to show off...like me...the LOD Q4, even without one of those lithium 3.7 volt batts...will keep Snow White at bay...

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a SureFire M520A-RD on a Sig 556 carrier be out of the question?

:whistle:
Next time I'm mounting the SureFire Hellfighter on the Humvee's M2 .50cal.

Also, make sure you only bring weapons chambered for standard calibers, because non-NATO ammo are hard to find at Disney. You can't never have enough ammo when your dealing with Pluto, the Little Mermaid and Nemo.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i went to disney land hongkong...i had my P1DQ5 in pocket, and fenix T1 in bag. I also had my Jet-u around my neck, and Arc-P on my Keys. Be sure to turn everything off during the fireworks though...they are truely magical they are, no sense in spoiling it with a bright beam smack in the middle of someones view, killing night adapted vision..:)

Crenshaw

Brownstone

Enlightened
dsp_100_4664.jpg