I'll be offline for a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Just a heads-up here...I'll be offline (without *ANY* access to CPF or my own web files) for an as-of-yet undetermined period of time because my sister forgot to pay the electric bill and they have disconnected electric service to our abode. :shakehead (I'm using the computer at the controlled-access business center to post this message).

Service could be restored as soon as later today, or it could be more than two weeks.

I'll post in this thread when power has been restored.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Unfortunately, I do not know any lawyers; add to that the battery in my cellular telephone is almost shot (the landline telephone requires AC power to function). :shakehead

I'm posting this again from the complex's "Business Center" as electricity at my apt. is still out. :(

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm not sure what phone you have, but you can buy inexpensive devices that allow you to recharge your phone from a couple or so AA cells. Nokia phones are easiest I think.

<edit>
Here's a link to a battery/cell phone charger:
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Prod...alog=Online&category=Chargers&product=2318335
I think dollar stores will have similar devices for a lot less. YMMV
If your sister has a car, you can get car chargers too.
</edit>

I can't help you with lawyers, being on the other side of the continent in a different country. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the AA cell phone chargers for my Motorola phone, and it works very well indeed. I have used it up at the cabin where there is no electricity several times.

P.S. I hope you have your power soon, I know your mobility depends upon an electrically powered wheelchair.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Unfortunately, I do not know any lawyers; add to that the battery in my cellular telephone is almost shot (the landline telephone requires AC power to function). :shakehead

I'm posting this again from the complex's "Business Center" as electricity at my apt. is still out. :(

Sorry to hear about this :( We've come close to forgetting to pay bills before and caught it a day before cut off etc.,
I'm not understanding the need for AC power for the landline telephone... unless the phone you use is a cordless battery powered one that requires AC power to the base station. AC power from a wall wart... probably 9v... easy to rig up a battery pack? Anyway you really need a cheap "corded" back up after this event...

In the meantime you can use your flashlights and lasers in the dark. That should be cool. :ohgeez:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cydonia brings up a good point, always have a backup corded phone as an option. I keep several available for uses during power outages. Extra long cords make it almost as convient as a cordless.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This telephone *IS* a corded telephone; however it seems to depend on AC power to ring and to dial. :(

I did discover late last night that the AC receptacle in the offsite storage unit we use is "live"; I used it to charge my cellular telephone last night and will use it to charge the batteries in my electric wheelchair as soon as I am finished here (once again I'm using a computer at this complex's restricted-access "business center").

The latest news is that my sister called her aunt near Seattle and this person will be mailing a couple of hundred $, and added to the one hundred that I have, we should have power restored by the weekend. :)

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Hmm, seems like Craig needs to get an old model 500 telephone or something of similar vintage. No AC power required to ring, dial, or talk. Hope you get the power back up soon.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Good news!!! :)
Power *SHOULD* be restored sometime tomorrow (04-17-08)!!! :) :D :thumbsup: :D :)
That money from my sister's aunt came in today's mail, plus some of my own funds were added to help ensure that the reconnect charges will get paid. :rock:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
It's good to hear that you're almost back in full business again. In your situation, I'd still try and find out if there's an ombudsman or an agency that can assist disabled persons in situations like yours. This shouldn't happen again and you shouldn't have to pay a charge to have your power restored. Maybe someone in your area knows can help out with contacting the right people. I've heard of people depending on iron lungs to breathe who have died because their power was improperly disconnected.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd imagine there's someone at the power company you could talk to about the situation. I seem to recall getting flyers in my bill about that sort of thing (people dependent on electrical power for special health issues). Don't think you'll need a lawyer to get better treatment next time.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Just a heads-up here...I'll be offline (without *ANY* access to CPF or my own web files) for an as-of-yet undetermined period of time because my sister forgot to pay the electric bill and they have disconnected electric service to our abode. :shakehead (I'm using the computer at the controlled-access business center to post this message).

Service could be restored as soon as later today, or it could be more than two weeks.

I'll post in this thread when power has been restored.

With all respect Craig, you do know the electric company does not simply cut you off for missing one month payment, don't you? It's not in their financial interested until the 3rd month of unpaid services. At any rate, I hope things get squared away quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.