what's out there for edc?

gollum

Enlightened
Okay ,I've bought a few flashlights recently....
(12 but don't tell the mrs. ;))
I love the chrome Ultrafire WF-C6S single cr123,
size and output is ideal for what I want in an edc.
I also like the 12w superbright cree Q4 ...similar size
both were cheap at $25 & $22

So now I'm hungry for more...

Q1 - are the fenix versions worth the extra $ ,which one is best ?:thinking: theres so many....
Q2 - what other single cr123 flashlights are available,or any other bright compact flashlights....(love my new photon rex)

I've seen a few very expensive ones like the Dragon /draco ...titanium ? HDS ....
the Surefire Titan...$$$$:eek:
can anyone say these big$ lights are much much brighter or better than a $25 ultrafire?
are there any modders out there making this sort of thing, like spy007.
Q3 - is the cr2 battery an old or new style?any good?
any advice or opinions are most welcome ....thanks

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy gollum, and welcome to CPF,
Sounds to me like you have the bug.

I wish I could give you direct answers to your questions, but there are so many variables involved...... personal preference, budget, needs vs. wants, rechargeable vs. primary only battery use, etc...... that it's difficult to give you definitive answers, so I'll try to a more generalized approach.

Whether a Fenix, Surefire, NovaTac, Draco, or other more expensive lights are worth the extra $$ compared to the Ultrafires you already have is something only YOU can answer. I think it simply depends on your needs, expectations, and desires.

I would suggest that you start by spending some time reading the many flashlight review threads found on CPF in the review area:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=19

And also here:
http://www.cpfreviews.com/reviews.php

After some reading I think you will begin to realize that there can be much more to a flashlight than how bright it can get. Many offer multiple levels, and some even allow you to customize the UI (user interface) to allow you to select which brightness comes on first etc.

Maybe those features aren't important to you, and all you want is the absolutely brightest light you can get for the money. There can still be quality issues...... some of the less expensive Chinese manufactured lights can have spotty quality control, which means you might get a good light..... or not....... or that it may be great for 6 months, and suddenly the clicky stops working. At that point a good warranty and ease of getting the light repaired or replaced becomes important.

So, what it comes down to is, yes, for many of us the added features and reliability of the more expensive lights are worth it. Personally, I'd rather have one, very versatile, super rugged light that can use both primary and rechargeable cells, and that has a lifetime warranty (NovaTac 120P) than 5-6 less expensive, less versatile lights..... but that's just me.

Having said that...... one of my favorite EDC lights at the moment is my 1xAAA Streamlight Microstream light that I keep in my front shirt pocket all day...... and it only cost $15. It's got a super nice beam, momentary clicky, and a very hard finish that still looks new after several months of daily use.

So, sorry to be so obtuse with my answer, but for me, one of the fun things about this hobby has been sifting through the sheer number of available lights and finding the ones that seem perfect for MY needs.

I hope you enjoy the quest.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of options for a singe CR123A EDC. I generally prefer a singe AA, since they have almost the same capacity with li-ion rechargeables and can take the most common battery when in need, but CR123s have greater capacity with a non-rechargeable, so you may prefer them. I'll name the brands that are worth the extra money :)

1) Fenix. If you think they're expensive, you might not even want to look at some alternatives :) Well-built, although not thick-bodied like some prefer. Most efficient circuitry on the market, and a great UI IMO. Their top of the line 1xCR123A model is the P2D Q5.

2) Olight. Well-built, and thick-bodied. These can probably take the most abuse of the listed EDCs. Unique reflector products a tight spot without artifacts. Beam is too tight for EDC IMO, but not as extreme as the JET-II's. Top of the line is the T10 Q5 SE.

3) JETBeam. Well-built, with nice fancy touches like a saphire crystal lens for a low price, but lacking in circuitry efficiency, especially at lower levels. IBS (their latest circuitry) - 3 modes that can be set to any level in a rather convenient UI. Currently the brightest on the market because the modes can be set up to a level where they only run 22 minutes. The model for a single CR123A I beleive is not yet out, but coming soon - the JET-II IBS (current is the dimmer JET-II Q5). Beam is probably too tight for EDC. Really, you should look at JETBeam's JET-I MK.II IBS for EDC.

All of these are immeasurably brighter than any UltraFire. As well as better built, and just about everything else. Worth the money IMO.

Now to the expensive ones:

1) SF Titan. The original is no longer available, but the nearly identical T1A will come out soon, at about half the price. This is not nearly as bright as any others listed - the only reason to buy this would be as a weird sort of jewlery. Of course, it's SF, so it's finely made, but for the price?

2) NovaTac. I'm not sure on the details, but it was related to HDS. These don't have nearly the output or efficiency of the top 3, but much more than the SF Titan. Probably the most rugged of all 1xCR123A EDCs. Extremely complicated UI, but many say you get used to it. A benefit of that UI is that it is, I beleive, the most programmable light on the market. all modes settable, UI settable, stobe intensity and frequency settable, battery protection settable, and a whole lot of other features. The UI has a lot of double-clicks, holds, ETC - IMO not suitable for EDC, but many others differ, so I'm sure it would work. Even considering its price I was considering it myself until I emailed the company with a question about the dimensions. I won't go into detail, but simply say that I wouldn't trust a company with CS that bad, even rude, with even $20 of mine. I haven't heard of anybody else with that experience, so I hope it is an isolate case.

Hope this helps :)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumapower IncenDio!

LUMAPOWER INCENDIO!!

I got one last week. Amazing size, amazing brightness! Only 1x CR123!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
for an EDC, look out for something that uses Li-on batteries, that way you can charge them up at home every night, because Li-ons prefer to be topped up as opposed to drained and then charged....so you know you have a full tank when you head out the next day. And then, carry a spare lithium version of that battery...

eg: I carry my Nitecore Defender Infinity with a 14500 in it, and a lithium AA as a spare. :)

Crenshaw

gollum

Enlightened
thank you guys for taking the time to reply
I will carefully consider all your views and suggestions.

You have also confirmed my suspicions that a flashaholics quest will never end :cool:

I need more experience and knowledge before I foray into the more expensive variety's of flashlights available...

I thought the AA batterys were not the ideal source for led output but I will reconsider this...
I like cr123's due to size and as stated they are good for a top-up recharge.

the Jet beam looks like a good option for me next.
but I'll end up getting the lumapower incendio too
and the nitecore .....
streamlight microstream....
fenix p2d Q5.....
:ohgeez:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
CR123s can't be recharged(well, they can be but are very hard to recharge).

I think you meant RCR123s or Li-ion rechargeable. NiMh batteries can also be topped off.

Are Fenix and other companies worth the money?

Well that would depend on what you'll use the light for and what you think.

I think you should start where you think would be best for you and your budget.

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"
5% off coupon at Batteyjunction is "CPF2006"

:welcome:

gollum

Enlightened
thanks gunner
yes I meant rcr123's
thanks for mentioning the discount code too
price is secondary to function for me

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been EDCing the H30-Q5 for the past week as a keychain carry. Quirky, yet wonderfully useful.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I have been learning and buying for about a year and I recently got a Tiablo MA1, very tiny good overall flashlight for a AAA. I prefer the output of my Olight T-20's and they are fine for EDC but when wearing dress clothes they're a bit big. I may pickup a Olight T-10 next, is it that much bigger than the Incendio?

aussiebob

Enlightened
I got a fenix L0D q4 a couple weeks ago now and it is great.
It has 3 outputs, high is bloody bright for a 1 aaa light it blows away my mates mini mag led.

gollum

Enlightened
just bought the zebra light H30 Q5
I like the layout and the price too
aud$54 delivered