How many?

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hello hello,

Sorry if this has been up already, but it's not an easy topic to search on. My question to the respected members of this forum is this:

How many flashlights would you consider a useful minimum?

More specifially, how many separate flashlights would be required to perform what you would call a normal set of generally needed tasks? One flashlight may of course perform several tasks; what I'm after here is the minimal set of principal functions.
Of course this will vary according to individual parameters, so to make this a comparative study assume an urban environment and include no more than one non-general task light.

And please give more motivated answers than "every available SureFire model is a must-have", "you can't have too many you ignorant newbie","buy both", etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Motivations please! Btw, I'm new here so most answers will probably be met with (initial) suspicion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's what I came up with for urban environments with supplemental task (ST)= Hiking:

1. EDC on body
  2. EDC near body, i.e. jacket, bag, briefcase or similar
  3. Bedside ENL (Every Night Light)
  4. Bedside ETL (Emergency Task Light)
  5. House GTL (General Task Light)
  6. House STL (Special Task Light), e.g. for tasks requiring a headlight, or a particular color light, etc.
  7. House ETL
  8. Car GTL
  9. Car ETL
  10. ST= Hiking GTL
Grand total: 10 (ten)

Note that model names have been left out. Here I'm more interested in generic functions than specific brands and models, at least for now.

Looking forward to your responses!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
edc on body, pants(high power, low runtime)
edc on body, pants (medium power, longish runtime)
edc on body, pants (low power, longish runtime)
edc near body, coat(if applicable) (lowish power, longish runtime)
edc near body, school bag (highish power, looong runtime)
attached to bed (highest power, shortish (rechargable) runtime)
on floor near bed (whatever other lights i have)
on shelf (whatever lights i have that i use less)
in car (highish power, looong runtime)

hopefully soon:
attached in car (high power, (rechargable) short runtime)
edc in pants (highesh power, shortish/mediumish runtime, ultimate coolness factor, extremely small)
edc in pants (ls4)
keep in room (extremely, insanely high power, short runtime, ability to melt eyeballs) (maybe make one for car also...)

once some of the hopefully soon ones come in, they may replace some other's in the edc pants compartment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , i just can't carry any more than 4 lights in my pants at one time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Flow

Newly Enlightened
EDC on keychain.
EDC on belt.
Hammer that also happens to work as a flashlight in car.

Don't really need more than three as one of the EDCs, if not both for some odd reason, are on/by me 24/7
And really, I don't need the extra in the car.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC on keychain
EDC in pocket, 1 watt LS output
EDC on EDC pouch, 5 watt LS output

EDC in car, 5 watt LS or incandescent long run time, high output
EDC in car, High power output, 1 hour run time

That should be just about it.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, interesting answers.

Rothrandir, good point there to specify the kind of light in terms of output/runtime.

Flow and Nerd, seems you use your EDC:s as house lights, which is a resource efficient way of solving separate functional tasks.

My only concern is my own forgetful mind. I fear that at some point I will simply misplace or forget to bring my EDC. This is why I would prefer to always have at least house and car ETL:s. That way they stay put.

But I realize I had more lights on my list than any one of you flashaholics. I may have to rethink my approach.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
In essense, I'd consider 6 lights a useful minimal:

1) one keychain light
2) one EDC pocket light
3) one ultra long runtime light
4) one hyper bright beam light
5) one rechargeable light
6) one general spotlight/searchlight

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Useful minimum?: 1

Pocket-sized multi-funtion light with LED and Incandescent in one package carried with you at all times

Practical minimum: 4 or 5

One keychain light - with you all the time.
One Headlamp for hands free use and camping/hiking
One light in the car
One general use multi-funtion light with LED and Incandescent in one package (or separate incand and LED lights)

In my particular case, 6:

EDC on body : keychain light
EDC near body, i.e. jacket: 2x123a pocket light
Bedside ENL (Every Night Light): Table lamp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Bedside ETL (Emergency Task Light): Multi fnctn LED/incand
House GTL (General Task Light): 3-D cell Luxeon
House STL (Special Task Light), e.g. for tasks requiring a headlight, or a particular color light, etc.: Headlamp
House ETL: Headlamp (as above)
Car GTL: 4-D Incandescent
Car ETL: 4-D Incandescent (as above)
ST= Hiking GTL: Headlamp (as above)

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam, I used your lowest theoretical number (4) i.e. not what you actually have. OK?

And hum, who makes the "Table lamp" type of flashlights?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Table lamp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just threw that in there for fun - like this:

I have 2 primary flashlights. The first is a stationary location model that is attached to a nuclear power plant which produces many gigawatts of power. Conveniently, it runs several incandescent and fluorescent bulbs at 110 Volts that are individually selectable via multiple swtiches. I've taken up residence inside of this flashlight, as it seemed a waste of space to just use it to light up the property that it sits on.

The second is a twin incandescent bulb flashlight with 2 settings (high and low) that runs off of an internal combustion engine which produces 12V DC. It weighs about 2000 lbs and, although smaller than the previous one, you can actually sit inside the flashlight. In fact I have a special room inside the first flashlight just for storing this one. The power plant creates so much power that you can re-direct the excess power to turn the attached wheels and maneuver the light around for more precise focusing. My only complaint is that I can't fit it in my jacket pocket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 for the upstairs bedroom (high power, recargeable)
2 for the downstairs kitchen and/or closet (one long lasting flood, one high power w/ decent run time[EDIT: Changed my mind on this one])
1 for EDC (pocket carry, mid power & run time, spare batteries on or near person)
1 for car (high power, spare batteries & bulbs in trunk or glovebox)

So, for me that would be 5: a Stinger HP, a Lightwave 4000, a PT Surge, an Arc LS twisty and a Scorpion or Surefire D3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Ironically I only own two of these lights, but if a mandate from On High came down and said, "Get rid of all of your flashlights then buy only what you absolutely need" well, this is what I'd get. :-D

Jon

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Quickbeam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not sure if was more worried before or after your explanation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
if a mandate from On High came down and said, "Get rid of all of your flashlights then buy only what you absolutely need" well, this is what I'd get. :-D

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, this is the idea!

pedalinbob, do you also have a list or are you not into flashlights at all?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:

Responses so far: 8

Series: 10,9,3,5,6,2,4,5...

Average (exact): 44/8

Average (rounded): 6

Keep posting!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, kimchikungfu!

um, well, this would be my minimum.

i prefer to have, with examples:
-1 keychain LED (EDC)(photon or arc aaa)
-at least 1 dimmable LED at bedside--great for reading and stumbling about the house. (pal or eternalight)
-1 "around the house" long running/fairly bright LED light, excellent where more light/long runtime is needed. (SL3C10LED)
-1 around the house long throw incan (PT40 or surge)
-1 LED headlamp (a very useful light!) (PT aurora)
-1 long throw/reasonable runtime incan in the car with lithiums (to survive the heat/cold)-(PT40)

hey, look!

im average!

i LOVE being average...

Bob

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
you guys over do it. E2e, photon II and M3, it's all you need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:

Responses so far: 10

Series: 10,9,3,5,6,2,4,5,6,3,...

Average (exact): 53/10

Average (rounded): 5

Keep posting!

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
tkl, would you care to specify the functions please?

Or I will have to fine you that E2e... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif