Time to upgrade Fenix bodies?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Fenix EO1 has more texture...more slip resistant...looks better too. Isn`t it time Fenix improved the bodies on the LOD...L1D...ect... They are looking a little dated...old style if you will. :)

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Fenix has done well to create a style of their own without following the tactical bandwagon for everything they make. I like everything I have from them.

However, as a caver who uses my lights while wearing muddy gloves, a but more grip on the heads would be nice.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
The new Fenix EO1 has more texture...more slip resistant...looks better too. Isn`t it time Fenix improved the bodies on the LOD...L1D...ect... They are looking a little dated...old style if you will. :)
The current styling looks modern and updated to me.:thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They might change the looks for the next line of AA/CR123 lights.

They seem to react pretty quickly to what the customers say. But that is presuming there is a lot of people asking for the same thing.

The current style(AA and CR123s, not including the E0, E01, or TK10) could use a bit more knurling though.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the knurling on my Fenix TK10, I wish all my lights had this finish.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a set of Surefire Combat rings (3 in a package for $10) that fit onto my Fenix T1. They have 3 different styles depending on how much grip you want. A ring, A ring with a tail to go over part of one finger. And a ring with a complete finger loop. Unscrewed the tailcap, slipped on the first ring and put the tail cap on so now It has excellent grippage (a french word meaning the kind of between the fingers hand hold it should have had all along). The SF ring set says fits any 1 inch diameter flashlight. So now its really good for when I really want to use it tactically, and when I don't want to use it, simply slip it back off. :D

jrdhmmr

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to go with the crowd that likes them as they are. I think if grip is an issue on a Fenix light, there are other methods to take that, to me, would be more practical than adding more knurl.
I think they look and feel great, and would hate to see it changed. However, as they already make some bodies that interchange amongst heads, it wouldn't really be a big deal to make bodies that could be added to the heads with more knurl or other design features that current owners could "upgrade/downgrade" to.

Need more grip? Add Plasti Dip!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I really like the knurling on my Fenix TK10, I wish all my lights had this finish.
+1. I like the small form factor of the P2D and P3D but they are a bit 'slippery' at times and I wouldn't mind seeing their lights take some of the features of the TK10 form factor such as a larger bezel, more knurling, etc.

Hmm.. it's possible since they have updated their lights before... remember the original L2P vs. the current L2T which has a little more knurling? Who knows, maybe they'll do it again... :popcorn:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Making the bodies rougher would downgrade the bodies, not upgrade them. The lights would not be as comfortable in the pocket and the anodizing would wear out more quickly on the sharp edges. The Fenix pocket light bodies are just right the way they are. I hope the style of the newest "tactical" Fenix does not leak over to the Fenix pocket lights. Aggressive knurling, crenulated bezels, etc can be positives on a "tactical" light, but for me they are negatives in a small pocket light.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main issue with Fenix is the slippy design. :( I have used very tight bicycle innertube (700x18-22mm size) around the body and this helps a lot unless my hands are greasy.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Are you guys going mud wrestling and then using your flashlights or something? Are your hands constantly covered with Vaseline?

Nevermind, I don't want to know the answer to that one..... :sick2:

streetmaster

Enlightened
I like the Fenix the way they are. Why change them to be like so many other brands out there? If you want knurling, then buy a TK10 or something from another brand. You're trying to change a pocket light into something it's not.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Making the bodies rougher would downgrade the bodies, not upgrade them. The lights would not be as comfortable in the pocket and the anodizing would wear out more quickly on the sharp edges. The Fenix pocket light bodies are just right the way they are. I hope the style of the newest "tactical" Fenix does not leak over to the Fenix pocket lights. Aggressive knurling, crenulated bezels, etc can be positives on a "tactical" light, but for me they are negatives in a small pocket light.

:thinking: Hmm, Good points, I think aggressive knurling would probably not be good for pockets, but maybe a less aggressive knurling like on the E01 would be apropriate.