• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Coming Soon (maybe). low resistance Mag switch replacement for MR-16 modifications...

mdocod

Flashaholic
If I see some interest I may go ahead and do a "run" of these. I've built a few prototypes in various forms for myself and have had pretty good luck so far. Utilizing a Judco 14V 10A (rated) switch, a hunk of delrin rod, some various pieces of copper sheet, screws, solder, etc, and viola!

100_2778.jpg

100_2776.jpg

100_2775.jpg

100_2774.jpg

The only "work" involved with the installation is removing the stock mag switch, then scrapping some anodizing from the inside of the mag body from either side of the switch opening (flat head screwdriver and about 1 minute of scraping is all it takes), then slide this switch up into place, and tighten down the socket set screw just below the switch button, that forces a pair of rods out the side of the assembly, which pushes the copper strips against the side of the mag body to complete the electrical connection and holds the switch assembly firmly in place. Drop the short rod into the switch hole, reinstall the rubber cover, and it's basically ready to rock, leave the mag head in place, install MR-16 through the bezel, plug it in, press into place, install bezel with O-ring and lens if necessary.

The ceramic socket is rated 750W, The switch 14V 10A, so far I'm pushing ~20V@~5A ~100W(18AA driving a 12V 50W "spot" with axial filament.) It's a beautiful wall of semi-focused smooth light and makes for an easy mod with cheap replacement bulbs available at the local hardware store. (The 2000 hour bulbs can usually handle rested cells that aren't high performers, 6000 hour bulbs might handle fresh off the charger a little better or nicer cells, I've blown a few with eneloops by getting too anxious and not waiting for the cells to cool down enough :) There are a large number of MR-16s out there that would be suitable for mag modifications... Like the 64634, and 64627.

edit in: Forgot to mention, this is a reverse clicky with very solid tactile and audible actuation.

I'll just convert this into a sales thread if I decide to make a run :)

oh.. almost forgot.. I figure price would be under $30 including shipping.

Thanks for looking!

Eric

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forwards to these :thumbsup: . Any chance for a run of low cost bi-pin MN sockets :cool: ?

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'm going to leave the MN sockets to FM, he has the capabilities to make those the precision required and expected by SureFire owners. not to mention.. I don't have the tooling for it. hehe...

full-beam

Newly Enlightened
Hi Eric,

I'll take one of these if you go ahead, along with a 9AA to 3D converter. Let me know a total shipped price to the UK.

Great to see these excellent 'functional' items for those of us modding on a more modest budget. :twothumbs

Many thanks

chuck614

Newly Enlightened
I really like the beam of some of the MR16's. I'd take a couple of these if you bring them to market.

X_Marine

Enlightened
Hey, I'll prolly grab a cpl of these and C's if you could replicate in the smaller size. Already grabbed a 1/2doz switches in case I had to pickup from where ever.. lol:poke:
btw, did you notice if this sw was available in forward clickie?.

Really, looks good.. roll emm :D

Thanks
X/BillyD..

mdocod

Flashaholic
Looks cool but man you gota use heat shrink. Electrical tape = sketchy.

don't worry, this is a very rough prototype pictured. There won't be any electrical tape hanging off it in a final version :) Possibly a wire nut, but more than likely some heat shrink or other method.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hey, I'll prolly grab a cpl of these and C's if you could replicate in the smaller size. Already grabbed a 1/2doz switches in case I had to pickup from where ever.. lol:poke:
btw, did you notice if this sw was available in forward clickie?.

Really, looks good.. roll emm :D

Thanks
X/BillyD..

I haven't even tried to make a C version. I don't think it's possible using the Judco and my current tooling. I'm planning on sticking to Ds for now. The switch is only available as a reverse click... As I understand it, being reverse click is part of what improves the ability to handle higher loads without damage :)

Ottawa411

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure I'd buy at least one, maybe more depending on how close the wife is watching me.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it, being reverse click is part of what improves the ability to handle higher loads without damage :)

Exactly... against my wishes (been trying to come up with my own reliable, Kroll based, high current, forward clickies for various Minimag mods for a while now), the reverse clicky is inherently capable of lower resistance due to contact pressure.

mdo - Been watching this, and your related thread with very high interest toward my eventual, very high quality Mag85 build.

The dual copper strips forced out by set screws is a totally killer idea. Super-low resistance, and keeps the switch housing in place. I love it!

Totally waiting for a final version that you can screw a Kiu socket into on one end (with enough room for a soft-start board like JimmyM's), and mates to a FM batt holder, or C Li-ions on the other.

mdocod

Flashaholic
hmm... well... maybe I'll have to skip this, I was thinking about having ~20 responses be the breaking point to go ahead and do a run of 30. Any less and it's not worth ordering the parts... but if anyone else wants to add their interest....

Last edited: