Inova X5 Question

1011Tristar

Newly Enlightened
Buffalo, NY & Franklin, MA (Boston 'burb)
I just purchased (on clearance @ Target) an Inova X5. I've heard that they'll run on batteries (CR123s) that are "dead" in other lights. Can someone tell me if this is true, and if so, how safe it is, as I've heard that lithium cells shouldn't be run down to far.

Glowjob

Newly Enlightened
Thats true for rechargable cr123's. If your using disposable cr123's, than this is a good light to get that last bit of power before you toss em. If you're using protected rcr123's, than the voltage would automatically cut off before the battery is damaged.

Glowjob

Newly Enlightened
Thats true for unprotedted rechargable cr123's. If your using disposable cr123's, than this is a good light to get that last bit of power before you toss em. If you're using protected rcr123's, than the voltage would automatically cut off before the battery is damaged.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
its never safe, even a brand new lithium Cr123A can "vent with flame" otherwise known as explode..:poof:

the only thing you can do is reduce the risk of that happening.

1) Use Brand-name CR123As, made in the USA. Panasonics from fenix-store are a good international source.
2) Do not mix batteries of differnt brands.
3) Do not use batteries with different levels of charge left in them
ie: only use two batteries in the x5 that were from the same light, such as an Incan surefire 2x Cr123a, do NOT use one Cr123a from a single cell light, and another one from a differnt single cell light.
4) once the levels hit very low, its time to throw them away, dont run them COMPLETELY down.

Crenshaw

e2x2e

Enlightened
I've also got a question pertaining to the X5. Can anybody recommend a good site to purchase a RED LED version?

e2x2e

Enlightened
Thanks Lee.

The thing is, on Ebay I'm kinda worried that I'll get a clone, and as for B/S/T, I don't really feel like shopping around too much, although I will browse through the listings real quickly. I'd really prefer a site with a good reputation and good prices. Any other suggestions?

Another thing I was wondering: Is the momentary switch good? On my X1, the momentary STINKS, you have to press really hard with your thumb and it usually just flickers.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought mine from BatteryJunction.com. I have ordered from them multiple times and have always found them easy to deal with and nothing but the best service. .02 FWIW

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks Lee.

Another thing I was wondering: Is the momentary switch good? On my X1, the momentary STINKS, you have to press really hard with your thumb and it usually just flickers.

They sell them at target, Frys and REI. They use that packaging that exposes the switch... just try it out and feel for yourself. Although they probably won't have the colored LEDs, but that'll at least help answer your question.

e2x2e

Enlightened
^^^^^^^^
Good idea! I'll go to Target and try out the switches!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The momentary switch is good, I've put between 30-40 pairs of "dead" cells in mine without a problem, and BatteryJunction has a great selection of X5s in both finish color and LED color.

scottaw

Enlightened
The light that is the real "battery vampire" is the RED X5, it only uses 1 123A battery, and the red leds don't require a lot of voltage, so they will absolutely kill a battery. Nice light too, just a bit big for a 1x123

lumenal

Enlightened
Is the momentary switch good? On my X1, the momentary STINKS, you have to press really hard with your thumb and it usually just flickers.

To me, the momentary switch, although similar in appearance, is much smoother on the X5 than the X1.

I've pressed so hard on the tailswitch of the X1 that it dents the battery... :confused: :(

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
The light that is the real "battery vampire" is the RED X5, it only uses 1 123A battery, and the red leds don't require a lot of voltage, so they will absolutely kill a battery. Nice light too, just a bit big for a 1x123
I'll vouch for that. I took a Surefire battery from my Gen 2 L1 on Saturday after it would no longer run on low. I put it in the X5, left it on, and 72 hours later it is still running.

e2x2e

Enlightened
I'll vouch for that. I took a Surefire battery from my Gen 2 L1 on Saturday after it would no longer run on low. I put it in the X5, left it on, and 72 hours later it is still running.

WOW! Was that a RED LED X5?

Retinator

Enlightened
My old X1 (gen 2) had a very stiff (thumbs of steel) momentary. My (replacement) X1 (gen 3) is much easier to press.

Are people finding a stiff tailcap for the Gen2 X1's?

As for the X5, Even though runtime graphs show 6 hrs or so to 50%, I've found mine runs on 'useable' light for what feels like forever.

I'd think that the red X5 would be the best to suck single cells to death.

e2x2e

Enlightened
The RED really seems to fit the bill for me. I want to use it for night flying(I'm a student pilot), and the ability to use CR123s for such a long time is really economical.

EDIT: To the OP, sorry for taking over your thread lol

gunga

Flashaholic
Any other good single cell CR123 vampires?

The Lumapower LM31 is quite good at sucking an Alkaline dry, perhaps the sister light, the LM33 is good for sucking a CR123 dry?

I will have to investigate this one...