Stuck Battery

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
I have a stuck battery in my Elektrolumens 3AA Legend Luxeon HD mod - HELP! Relatively new Eveready e2 Titanium w/ a 2007 date - 2 batteries are lodged in the tube. Any suggestions on how to get them out, is it salvageable?
Would Eveready pay for the replacement cost on a modified light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
There are some spray electronic contact cleaners available at your local electronic supply house...you may want to try and spray some down around the batteries, then with a soft cloth/dishtowel doubled up, over the end to protect it from damage...tap it fairly hard on another doubled up cloth/dishtowel, as CNC Dan suggested.

As far as heating, as Dan also suggested, perhaps a hair dryer on high, or putting the torch body in a waterproof ziploc under hot water for a few minutes, then tapping?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
WD40, soak the innards with a 10 second burst of WD40. If it doesn't work... oh well...

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
How about a small drop of super glue on the end of a thin stick that you can position on the end of the battery then pull the battery out after it sets? If all else fails, that is.

snuffy

Enlightened
Here's a slow method I've had success with.
Epoxy something you can grab ahold of ( stiff wire, long deck screw, etc ) to the end of the battery and after it hardens over night give it a big yank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I've not had any luck using a long screw screwed into the battery, just seems to wedge it tighter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
Good luck.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually throw my light several times on the floor in hopes that the battery inside rattling and get out of teh tube /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If all else fail, sometimes to get thing straight is by using force. But always use it as a last resort.

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
I usually throw my light several times on the floor in hopes that the battery inside rattling and get out of teh tube /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If all else fail, sometimes to get thing straight is by using force. But always use it as a last resort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I was going to suggest the use of explosives...

Abe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know much about mods but can you take the bezel off and sandwich out then push the batteries out with a dowel from the opposite end or something?

I know that acetone disolves epoxy if the mod is epoxyed in but you have to keep it off of any other plastic components as it will dissovel plastic and rubber as well.

Sometimes if the bezel is O-ring sealed it creates suction so try removing the bezel before tapping too.

forgive my ignorance about mods but anything is probably worth considering at this point.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
you try smacking it? What is the body of the light made of? A nice soft faced mallet might do the trick.

Hold the light battery opening down. Then smack the opening upwards with a mallet. Simple physics. The momentum of the batteries will want to counter act the movement of the flashlight tube, forcing them to exit.

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
Well, it seems to be a lost cause. The batteries are "welded" in place and won't budge. I guess I will try sending to Eveready to see if they will reimburse me anything for the light (he says hopefully). Thanks for all the replies and suggestions and remember to remove batteries from unused flashlights (note to self!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Have you tried the super glue/epoxie trick? seems to me that would work. I don't think battery manufacturers will do anything for you. Some flashlight companies (Maglica comes to mind) will help you out, but not if you've modified the light. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Wayne (Elektrolumens) might help you out if you send him the light.