Polymer Optics Ltd

steve6690

Enlightened
Anyone have any experience of their led optics ?. They seem to be little-known on here. I have a sample of their 6-degree Cree optic on its way to me and I'm thinking about seeing how many I can pack into my dive light project.

steve

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
I have used them for several projects. The 6 deg produces a tight beam, but has some artifacts. The 25 deg produces a fairly smooth flood. In a multi-emitter light most of the artifacts in the 6 deg beam will probably not be noticable. I love these optics for maximum emitter density, they pack together so tight!

Here's my bike light with polymer optics:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188209

steve6690

Enlightened
Nice light! I have an underwater aluminium housing with an internal diameter of 52mm and I want to pack as many Cree Q5's in as possible. I just need to see how many I can cram in and then decide how to drive them reliably. I could possibly use the Maxflex I have..

Last edited:

Tidra

Enlightened
'IMHO'
for underwater you need moor beam than spill light, so I think Polymer Optics are not right for you. In 52mm you should pack a 7x IMS17 or 7xMCR16 or 7xMCR17,... and get some spill and beam light.

Look at this example,... you can't get that kind of light with any Polymer Optics,...

Remember more isn't always better.

Did you consider how will you drive all that LED's.

Cheers,
Iztok

steve6690

Enlightened
Thanks Tidra. I haven't decided how to drive it yet - I'm thinking about having two seperate circuits, each driven by a Maxflex. The sample optic arrived today and it looks like I can fit 9 of them in my housing. I might try a mix of 6-degree optics and 25-degree until I get the beam I like.
I'm using Cree led's and have been unable to find IMS reflectors to suit. I'd try them if I could get them. I'm not prepared to spend the money on Mc*** reflectors as it pushes me way over budget. I've also got some DX 18.5mm reflectors on their way to me to try.