Fenix TK10 as a duty light? Any opinions so far?

dano101

Enlightened
Anybody using the TK10 yet as a duty light or similar fashion? (and yes ive read the reviews on tests so far).

I was looking to do a standard 6P-M60-RCR123 setup for an RCMP friend of mine, but i thought id take a shot and let him try out the TK10.

My only apprehension is that if something fails on the 6P setup (tailcap etc) i can have a spare to him before his next duty shift, where it might take a while longer for a replacement TK10 part.

Any thoughts?

Dano

mchlwise

Enlightened
I'm not a security guard or law enforcement or anything, but I was recently asked by my local clergy to be in charge of making sure our church building (which I live very near to) is locked up at night.

Last night was my first night to "make the rounds" and the TK10 came with me.

It's a fantastic light. The "low" mode is sufficient for most things, but the high mode is really great for checking out shadows, or behind bushes, etc. It leaves you NO DOUBT whatsoever whether someone is hiding there or not.

:thumbsup:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd use it. Probably not in conjunction with a firearm because of the clickie, but as a general duty light it should be fine.

dano101

Enlightened
The person I am getting it for already uses a Surefire 8NX as a primary light, as well as an Ultrastinger (simply for sentimental reasons, he rather doesnt enjoy how big and bulky it is).

He wanted something smaller to replace his Ultrastinger... something rechargeable (or something i could make rechargeable), something that had good throw like his Ultrastinger (but be compact), and something that if possible had the ability to be not as bright without changing bulbs.

I just thought the TK10 would fit the bill on this...

Dano

RADICALRAVEN

Newly Enlightened
Hey dano101, I'm an LEO and my girlfriend just ordered a TK10 for me and should be here soon. I plan on using it while On-Duty and will be doing some experimenting with it. I'll keep you posted on how it does in the field. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-RADICALRAVEN-

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The T10 won't throw as far as the Ultrastinger, but it should be brighter.

Why not with a clickie for a firearm?

I think it is because if you push too hard, the light will be on constant on, and that might be a problem if you get overwhelmed and are trying to escape. The light will inform the enemy of where you are. You might forget, due to the situation, to click again and turn off the light.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not with a clickie for a firearm?

What Gunner12 said. I do not have low light combat training, but from what I've read the basic idea is "light on, shoot, light off, move, repeat." Twisties are better for this because of the momentary function. In this case, the 8NX takes care of that. I don't know if the TK10 will out throw the Ultrastinger, but it should prove a more useful light overall.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pocket clip is useless and there's no holster for it (the few holsters I have for 6P's have been hit/miss).

Lack of carry options is a HUGE drawback.

-dan

dano101

Enlightened
Thank you all for your input on this and thanks for the offer to keep me posted Radicalraven. Ill give him the option of both the TK10 and a 6P setup and ill let him choose. I have a feeling though that he will choose the 6P setup (even though it wont have a low option) simply because it is more easily holsterable with a traditional leather basketweave.

I may just go ahead and buy the TK10 and let him try my 6P setup and the TK10 stock and see what he likes.

Dano

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I work as an armed security officer in an office building. I work day shift, so I don't need my flashlight as often as a night shift patrol officer. I normally carry an H2X Typhoon (Gladius clone) on my duty belt in a nylon holster mde by Blackhawk.

For the past few weeks, I've been carrying the TK10 on duty. It fits in the Blackhawk just fine, it just rides a bit low. I can pop it out of its holster about as fast as I can the Typhoon. The TK10 is much brighter than the Typhoon, but it doesn't have the strobe mode, which I don't really use.

The "fins" on the tactical grip don't protude out as far as the Typhoon, so my grip is not quite as sure when using the "cigar" hold. Also, the protective fins around the tail switch interefere a little with activating the light with the cigar hold. If the tail switch hits the palm of my hand, and not the base of my thumb, I can't always switch the light on reliably. YMMV.

The light is very sturdy, and has been 100% reliable for me. I've been looking for excuses to use it and I was overjoyed when I found a light out in my stairwell today! (I know, that's sad.) I am really amazed by the light output and how rugged the light is.

If I had a choice between the TK10 and a 6P with a Malkoff drop-in, I would be torn. The light output is about the same, but the ruggedness and tactical grip ring of the TK10 would tip the balance. Don't forget that the TK10 has a low-output mode, also. I think if my choice was between the TK10 and a Surefire Z2, I would favor the switch on the Z2, but only slightly.

I hope this helps.

-- Frank

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I hadn't thought of that. It looks like one of the rubber rings on the Surefire Z2, or the old 6Z I used to have. I had some thin leather gloves on today and didn't have any trouble gripping or activating the light.

If it wouldn't ruin the finish, I would be tempted to take my Dremel tool to the protective fins around the tailswitch. If I shaved those down a few millimeters, it would make a huge difference.

Thanks!

-- Frank

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pocket clip is useless and there's no holster for it (the few holsters I have for 6P's have been hit/miss).

Lack of carry options is a HUGE drawback.

-dan

Actually there is a holster for the TK10. I just got my HA III black TK10 a few days ago and it came with a nice nylon pouch to carry it on a duty belt ( I am a LEO).

Tachion

Newly Enlightened
What Gunner12 said. I do not have low light combat training, but from what I've read the basic idea is "light on, shoot, light off, move, repeat." Twisties are better for this because of the momentary function. In this case, the 8NX takes care of that. I don't know if the TK10 will out throw the Ultrastinger, but it should prove a more useful light overall.

I must have missed something. How does a twisty have a momentary function? :confused:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's a twisty/momentary- a switch, which is only used for momentary, and a twisty for when you want constant. The advantage is it's more robust than a clicky.

Tachion

Newly Enlightened
it's a twisty/momentary- a switch, which is only used for momentary, and a twisty for when you want constant. The advantage is it's more robust than a clicky.

Ahhh… I can see how that would make a difference. :)

So are there also "remote" momentary switches that can be placed on the hand guard? Not needing to change the grip in order to activate the light should be a pretty nice advantage. Or would that loose points for not being as robust?