Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme LEDs: What's the word on them? ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Saw a couple of these at Walmart over the weekend. They looked pretty solid.

Do we know how good they are? What LEDs they use?

They appear to be regulated:
"DC/DC regulated circuitry provides maximum light output throughout the life of the battery."

Thanks very much in advance!!

Rayovac - Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlights
"Sportsman Xtreme™ 1W LED Flashlight A rugged line of high performance lights for the "Xtreme" Sportsman in everyone."
http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/selux2aa1w-b.shtml

"Sportsman Xtreme™ 3W LED Flashlight A rugged line of high performance lights for the "Xtreme" Sportsman in everyone."
http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/selux2aa3w-b.shtml

"Sportsman Xtreme™ 4W LED 3C Flashlight A rugged line of high performance lights for the "Xtreme" Sportsman in everyone."
http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/se4w3c.shtml

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
For an off-the-shelf flashlight, these are about as good as it gets. Pick the 1Watt for longer run time or the 3Watt for improved brightness.

Personally, I would avoid the bigger one that takes C batteries, but that is mostly because I use rechargeable AA's for most everything and don't like big heavy things when a smaller version might work better.

You can certainly get a better and brighter light from DealExtreme or other discount flashlight retailer, but these ray-o-vacs are great since you can just grab one off the shelf if you are not patient.

I haven't bought one because I paid a little more and got a brighter, better flashlight with Fenix or similar manufacturers.

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Thanks, Yucca! ;-)

What Fenix models would you recommend under $30, in say AAA or AA? I'm not familiar with the brand.

Thanks!

streetmaster

Enlightened
They are good for something local like Yucca Patrol said. I believe the 1W and 3W are made by Nuwai. Just pick through the shelf for one with a led that's centered. Some of them will be off center a little. The 3W is pretty bright, I would suggest that one.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The E01 is $15, but it won't be as bright as the Rayovac lights(AAA powered 5mm LED). But it will have a good runtime. I'd recommend the L2D-CE Q5, but it's twice your budget.

For $30, look Dealextreme for current gen LED lights getting good reviews.

I think the 3C one has a Cree XR-E(unknown bin though) so that might be a good choice for something you can buy at a store.

e2x2e

Enlightened
Nice review Kramer5150. I love my R-O-V. Good machining quality, much better than DX lights(most).

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I have two of the 3W versions. They've been solid. Great runtime, plenty bright, tough. I wouldn't immerse them in water, but mine have survived rain and splashes just fine. I keep one of them with my secondary handgun.