GS vs. DS? ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Sorry to be daft. I've seen a few references to DS and GS when comparing LED lights. What is this? Referring to regulation? Brand? Something else?

Thanks again! ;-)

paulr

Flashaholic
Sorry to be daft. I've seen a few references to DS and GS when comparing LED lights. What is this? Referring to regulation? Brand? Something else?

Thanks again! ;-)

GS and DS are short for NSPW500GS and NSPW500DS respectively, two similar models of 5mm LED made by Nichia. The GS is a little bit newer and has a larger and more efficient die, so it is a bit brighter than the DS at the same power level. The die is rectangular instead of square so the beam comes out slightly oval shaped. Both are small, low powered leds by today's flashlight standards, but they are very advanced in terms of efficiency. They are used in the newest incarnation of the Arc AAA, and in the Fenix E01 and the Photon Freedom or Rex keychain lights (not sure if those use the DS or GS).

dulridge

Enlightened
They are used in the newest incarnation of the Arc AAA, and in the Fenix E01 and the Photon Freedom or Rex keychain lights (not sure if those use the DS or GS).

The Rex I have uses DS LEDs and I've not heard that they plan to use GS LEDs. It is fairly bright as it is so I doubt it'll change any time soon.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have both the arc-aaa DS and GS, and luckily my GS is one where the LED is flush or lower than the bezel, and doesnt stick out. IMHO not really worth the extra $5 or wait etc. you do get a slightly bigger hotspot, but overall i dont like the beam as much as the DS.