Long Throw Flashlight Suggestions?

leonarp

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a long throw flashlight and could use some suggestions. I would prefer LED but I'm not stuck on that. I live in the country and the tree lines around my house are around 100+ yards out, which is what this flashlight would be used to illuminate. So the longer the throw the better.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Re: Long Throw Flashlight

If your really need throw, look at a HID light, they are very expensive, but are the most powerfull flashlights around (The big ones gives more light that the lights on a car).

For a regular flashlight the Tiablo A9 (or A8, if your are using rechargables) has a good throw. The DBS are also supposed to be good, but I have not tried it.
Going another step down, your can get something like the Fenix T1 or TK10, they have less throw, but can still handle 100+ yards, and are more useable as a regular flashlight, because they have a better spill and the hotspoot is not as hot as on the A9.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

How much are you willing to spend?
What batteries?

Most of the better throwing lights can hit 100 yarts without too much problem.

:welcome:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

aspheric or spotlight ...with most led throwers you will likely at a long distance get a pale light and wont see much ,the aspheric does good though , hense where you need a bigger light like these in here

Brigadier

Enlightened

At Lowe's - 2C Task Force Cree Q5 - $30
At Wal-Mart - Black & Decker 1 M CP rechargeable spotlight - $17. I tested mine out to about 500 yrds.:thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

At Wal-Mart - Black & Decker 1 M CP rechargeable spotlight - $17. I tested mine out to about 500 yrds.:thumbsup:

x2... if its throw you want, theres no replacement for displacement. Big reflector, big batteries, Big HID = big beam. A $20 1-2MCP spotlight will throw farther than anything close to that price range. Doesn't have to be HIG either... a Halogen based one can get the job done.

cchurchi

Enlightened

My best throw flashlight is a Wolf-Eyes 24 watt boxer. Obviously, there are cheaper and brighter spotlights, but they won't fit in a coat pocket. I also have a WE Storm and it has amazing throw and is more versatile then a HID light. I've never really been very impressed with single LED lights designed to throw. The hotspot is usually small and not enough spill.
I use my lights several times a week so I am able to justify lights that everyone I know (non-flashaholics) thinks are very expensive.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

100 yds is nothing for any LED thrower. Even a Magled modded with an SSC will do that.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Raidfire Spear ( single LED ) is a great thrower. Also the Wolf-Eyes Storm throws a ton of light a good distance.( 3 LED's). Lots of good choices out there!:thumbsup:

Niteowl

Enlightened

I bought one of those B&D spots and put a Coleman bulb in it. One of the top five "bang-for-the-buck" lights I have.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here you can see how a Raidfire Spear or Dereelight DBS (they perform similar at distances of ~100 meters) will perform over ~100 yards (it's 95 meters). What I really recommend is a Maglite (3D or 3C) with the new Seoul Semiconductor P7 led, that gives you massive amounts of output in a light that will cost you max ~$60 if you build it yourself or ~$120 if you buy it from eg. Elektro Lumens.

BeamshotsSSCP7_Comp1.jpg

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm looking for a long throw flashlight and could use some suggestions. I would prefer LED but I'm not stuck on that. I live in the country and the tree lines around my house are around 100+ yards out, which is what this flashlight would be used to illuminate. So the longer the throw the better.

I'd suggest building a 2C Maglite ROP Incan. This will give more throw than any LED on the market (except exotic aspherics that aren't very practical) and a repectable 40 minutes runtime in a surprisingly small package. For investigating tree lines, the warmer color temp and broader spectrum of an incan still provides vastly better contrast compared to LEDs, at least for the next few years ;)

I'll cut and paste in a "recipe" for how to make one:

From lighthound.com:
* 2x AW LiIon C Cells $48
* 2x Pelican Hi/Lo lamp kits $18
* Anti-Reflective Coated Glass $7

From Kaidomain.com:
* MOP textured reflector with 8.4 mm opening $15

OR you can get the original MOP reflector from Fivemega on these forums. Better beam quality, and faster shipping, but more expensive ($30 shipped)

Charger Options from Kaidomain:
Single C/D LiIon Charger - $15
2Bay LiIon Charger - $9. You can charge in one bay only using magnets, or both using external leads, but it's slow as it's meant for smaller cells
2 Cell LiIon Charger - $10. Only recommended if you already another charger, even a slow one, in case they get out of balance.

How to make extra room for the cells
:
1) Cut down and/or compress the tailcap spring
2) Remove switch, remove retainer ring, reinstall higher up/closer to bezel
3) Use dremel tool to remove as much excess material from the base of the switch as possible

OR Buy this extender for $13

How to make cam focusability more usefu
l:
Grind down the cam on the reflector you buy so that the slope is about half as steep. This will limit how far the bulb can defocus so you never see any nasty "donut holes".

Total cost is between $90 - $160, depending on your reflector choice, and whether you still need to buy a Mag 2C host and charger.

Last edited:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd suggest building a 2C Maglite ROP Incan. This will give more throw than any LED on the market (except exotic aspherics that aren't very practical) and a repectable 40 minutes runtime in a surprisingly small package. For investigating tree lines, the warmer color temp and broader spectrum of an incan still provides vastly better contrast compared to LEDs, at least for the next few years ;)

I'll cut and paste in a "recipe" for how to make one:

From lighthound.com:
* 2x AW LiIon C Cells $48
* 2x Pelican Hi/Lo lamp kits $18
* Anti-Reflective Coated Glass $7

From Kaidomain.com:
* MOP textured reflector with 8.4 mm opening $15

OR you can get the original MOP reflector from Fivemega on these forums. Better beam quality, and faster shipping, but more expensive ($30 shipped)

Charger Options from Kaidomain:
Single C/D LiIon Charger - $15
2Bay LiIon Charger - $9. You can charge in one bay only using magnets, or both using external leads, but it's slow as it's meant for smaller cells
2 Cell LiIon Charger - $10. Only recommended if you already another charger, even a slow one, in case they get out of balance.

How to make extra room for the cells:
1) Cut down and/or compress the tailcap spring
2) Remove switch, remove retainer ring, reinstall higher up/closer to bezel
3) Use dremel tool to remove as much excess material from the base of the switch as possible

OR Buy this extender for $13

How to make cam focusability more useful:
Grind down the cam on the reflector you buy so that the slope is about half as steep. This will limit how far the bulb can defocus so you never see any nasty "donut holes".

Total cost is between $90 - $160, depending on your reflector choice, and whether you still need to buy a Mag 2C host and charger.

+1
great thrower with a SMO reflector ,small package, good runtime!

leonarp

Newly Enlightened

Wow, lots of choices. :)

Speaking of MagLites, I have an old 5D MagLite. Could I "upgrade" that with some modern components to make it a long thrower?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try the new Streamlight Super Tac. It is only listed at 135 lumens but easily out throws every light I have. Even ones listed at 225 and 230 lumens. 100 yards is an easy task for this light.

Good Luck

Bill

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, lots of choices. :)

Speaking of MagLites, I have an old 5D MagLite. Could I "upgrade" that with some modern components to make it a long thrower?

you can simply use a mag 4 cell bulb for more lumens...I think you'll get enough throw out of it with standard reflector...

if you want to mod it into a ROP you'll need:
metal reflector, glass lens, ROP bulb pack, 6 C nimh that I think you can fit easily in a mag 5D with some sort of homemade adapter like a PVC tube.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

if you want to mod it into a ROP you'll need:
metal reflector, glass lens, ROP bulb pack, 6 C nimh that I think you can fit easily in a mag 5D with some sort of homemade adapter like a PVC tube.
That's a good suggestion how to put an old host to good use. You could use the 5D for the ROP-hi, and get a 2C with 18650s to run ROP-Lo lamp (AW C's are overkill for the "lo" lamp, and there are a lot more charger options for 18650s)

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1
great thrower with a SMO reflector ,small package, good runtime!

Just built one like that using Kaidomain D-lithium cells. Probably not the best bet, as their protection circuit is finicky, and it doesn't always come on reliably. Sometimes on the first click, sometimes on the 136th click. (I counted!) You can use a soft-starter to fix that, but don't do that for your first hotwire, it's a pain in the *** and the good ones are all sold out right now.

Also, if you don't want to have to mess with exotic lithium batteries, you can use 6 NiMH AA batteries in series - Eneloops are great, Energizers not so much - that give me a calculated runtime of maybe 20 minutes of retina-burning high, or about an hour of mere damnthatsbright 'low'.

That said, if you're willing to put up with exotic batteries, lithium will outperform nickel hydrides handily.

Trinity, can you link to a tutorial on the switch hack? I need to do that on mine.