Does your H30 have any UI problem?

Do you have this UI problem on your H30?

• Not, I don't have the problem you describe nor any other

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Yes I do have this exact problem

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Yes but I have another behavior than the one you describe

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

This is quoted from this thread :

I did notice that the switch can be a little screwy. Sometimes when you tighten up the cap, it is momentary only, or won't turn on at all. If you untwist and tighten up again it usually solves the problem.

Hope this isn't a defect.
Mine was working perfectly. Now It's doing the same as Edwood's. Nothing is solving the problem as yet.
Screwy UI with mine as well. Cleaning of the contacts, removing and replacing the battery and adjusting the tailcap does nothing. However, allowing the H30-Q5 to sit for a few hours on its own always seems to do the trick. Screwy UI indeed. Other than that, it is indeed a fine specimen of a light.

These are quoted from 3 different users. It looks like the problem is not totally isolated :(

If I understand the problem correctly, it seems that the light needs the tailcap to be tighened for a while before the switch can permanently activate the light. Otherwise it acts as momentary only, or doesn't work at all. In real life this can be a problem for both lockout purpose and battery change.

So please, give it a try and vote. And post you comments on how the UI is behaving if your problem is different.

Thanks!

EDIT : Also please let us know from where and when you got your H30 so that it'll be easier to identify a batch if there is any

Last edited by a moderator:

Edwood

Enlightened
Re: Does you H30 have any UI problem?

Mine does it almost all the time when switching batteries. Not as much when just unscrewing the tailcap either for lockout or all the way.

I tried it with both Rechargeable (unprotected MP cells) and with Primaries (Duracell Ultra @3.243V).

Pretty annoying.

RdlyLite

Enlightened

All is well here! I recieved mine today and it is everything that I expected and more! Time to break her in with a little lube n' stuff! I used a tenergy 3v RCR123 and a Tenergy CR123 to make sure all is well. :thumbsup:

Mine came from Fenix-store.com. There second shipment.

Sorry to here about the UI issues. Lets hope that their customer service is up to the task. :whistle:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

I should have mine tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what I find with it.

Some input from Zebralight would be pretty awesome right about now..................:candle:

Edwood

Enlightened

I let mine sit for about an hour with a new Duracell Ultra, and it's still stuck in momentary. I don't think it will ge back on it's own. I have to unscrew and screw the tailcap to get it to work correctly.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

:whistle:
Is that 3 out of 18 of the original batch that FenixStore had ?

That's a very odd ailment those lights are having.

Do those caps have a threaded switch retaining ring in them / wonder if it's too loose or too tight ?

Sounds like the switch plunger is either not traveling far enough to engage / or not rebounding far enough to release and reset. Maybe the rubber switch cover is too stiff and/or too close to the plunger not allowing it to rebound and reset.

If I had one doing that I would remove the rubber switch cover for a while and see how it operated without it. (process of elimination)

I don't have one yet so I can't test my theory / maybe someone else can. :D

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi guys,

This is quoted from this thread :

These are quoted from 3 different users. It looks like the problem is not totally isolated :(

If I understand the problem correctly, it seems that the light needs the tailcap to be tighened for a while before the switch can permanently activate the light. Otherwise it acts as momentary only, or doesn't work at all. In real life this can be a problem for both lockout purpose and battery change.

So please, give it a try and vote. And post you comments on how the UI is behaving if your problem is different.

Thanks!

EDIT : Also please let us know from where and when you got your H30 so that it'll be easier to identify a batch if there is any

Yes, I got the same problem (2 of them) and I purchased directly from Zerbralight.

Alan

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

:crackup:It takes a while for the flux-capacitors to charge which then releases the trigger safety mechanism.

It's a new LAW ..... kinda like the 3 day waiting period .... to prevent drive-by blindings.

Times have changed..... back in the 7O's we would FLASH people with our butt out the window.

:devil:

Last edited:

TOTC

Newly Enlightened

Got mine today: second batch shipped from Fenix Store.

It has the problems described: when I first loaded it out of the box it would not turn on (using a primary). Tried unscrewing the tailcap and replacing it a few times. Finally at some point it started flickering wildly when I would press the button, then it would only work in momentary (as described). Now it suddenly works 100% properly. I don't expect this will be the last I'll see of the issue though, according to what other posters are reporting.

Still trying to decide whether I'm going to keep it like this or not. I guess I'll have to see how it reacts to use and how much the issue pops up.

For those who do have the problem, does it only happen once you've removed the tailcap and replaced it? Does the light ever have issues turning on when you've left it sitting for a while?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those having the problem, have you cleaned the contacts, treated them with DeoxIT? Have you had this problem with a rechargable 3.7v battery? I've been only running a AW R123a and I've yet to have this issue. Wondering if the problem only exists with CR123A's, or if it would happen with either battery.

I tested mine last night after reading about this and I haven't had any issues so far.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine today: second batch shipped from Fenix Store.

It has the problems described: when I first loaded it out of the box it would not turn on (using a primary). Tried unscrewing the tailcap and replacing it a few times. Finally at some point it started flickering wildly when I would press the button, then it would only work in momentary (as described). Now it suddenly works 100% properly. I don't expect this will be the last I'll see of the issue though, according to what other posters are reporting.

Still trying to decide whether I'm going to keep it like this or not. I guess I'll have to see how it reacts to use and how much the issue pops up.

For those who do have the problem, does it only happen once you've removed the tailcap and replaced it? Does the light ever have issues turning on when you've left it sitting for a while?

:mecry::mecry:
My H30 is still on back-order. I think I'll cancell my order for now and wait until this issue is fixed. I was really looking forward to this headlamp, but I don't have the money or time to be a beta-tester :sigh:. I am pretty sure Zebralight will fix this problem very soon.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could it maybe have something to do with the different lengths of various batteries rather than the type ? Is a longer battery crowding and jamming the emitter/switch components ?

If it were a thread contact issue or battery cap related..... how could it even be producing light at the times it works in "momentary only" operation ? When it IS working properly , does the switch "half-press" for momentary - then "click" when pressed "fully" for constant light ?

At the times it will only work as "momentary" - will the switch not "click" to give "constant" light ?

I don't have one / but want to get one when we get this figured out .
This is an odd failure. I PM'd Zebra requesting a response to this puzzle.
:)

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I got the same problem (2 of them) and I purchased directly from Zerbralight.

Alan
You are saying you bought two headlamps and that they both have the same UI problem?

Awww that doesn't sound good at all.

I have canceled my fenixs-store order. Not that I'm not interrested in this lamps anymore, but since it would cost me 25+ USD to ship it back if it was defective, I prefer to wait for this issue to be totally under control. I'll order one or more as soon as this issue is adressed though.

I'm sending a PM to Zebralight. They might not have seen this so far...

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

They know about it now.

I just now got a message from George at Zebra , saying he would reply on this thread soon.

That's all he said

Now I'm also wondering if David of FenixStore is aware of all this ?

I didn't PM him..... maybe I will later

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

O.K.
I just re-read the "WadeF" review on this thing.

From that I now know that the switch does not "click".

Evidently it's an electronic switch - not a mechanical switch. Sorry I asked all about the click details.

The answer and solution to this is going to be interesting.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

:poke:
They must have suffered an EMP blast coming thru Customs X-ray machines !

Wrap em in tin-foil George

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes the switch on them is a bit like a tactical Novatac switch or HDS - it's electronic. Mine works perfectly - 2nd batch from 4sevens. It's an awesome light! Really like the switch and ease of turning on and level switching. I'm also wondering if this could be battery related. It appeared to me that the tail spring might have been just barely making contact on some of the shorter batteries. I've only used RCR123's so far (battery station 900mah but I'm planning on trying an AW in it soon). I have not yet even had a chance to try a primary (which are usually a little shorter). I used it for about 15 minutes on high in the dark and it's great. It stayed evenly bright the whole time. I cycled it a number of times since I was aware of this issue and it has not exhibited any problem. Zebralight has awesome service and I'm sure they will take care of this. This is too cool a light to miss out on.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I played with my H30 some more. I tried loosening and tightening the tail cap, turning it off and on, etc. I finally got it to do the momentary thing. I loosend and tightend the tailcap and it was back to normal. I was only able to recreate this once so far.

We'll see what Zebralight has to say on the issue. I'm not too worried about it as mine seems to work fine unless I fiddle with it. If the issue comes up it seems to be easily corrected with mine, but who knows how it will act in the future.

Shame to see a UI bug like this in a great light. Hopefully it is something that can be explained and resolved without having to send our units back.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I spoke to soon - mine has the 'issue' - sort of. I may be able to shed some light on this - no pun intended. I tried 4 different rechargeable batteries in it after giving it a little teflon lube - it already was very well greased but the o-ring didn't have much on it. So when I put it back together it suddenly was doing the momentary thing and wouldn't come on correctly. I then tried a fresh and different RCR123 - a longer one and it worked fine. Next I tried a 3 volt RCR123 rechargeable and it did some slightly weird things - came on as I screwed the battery back in and then wouldn't go off - then went to momentary - this one is shorter than the last one that worked. Next I tried my shortest RCR123 - an unprotected battery and it did nothing - wouldn't work at all. No light.
Next I tried primaries - first up Surefire reading a little over 3 volts. Screwed down cap and light came on but could not be switched off. Unscrewed and tightened back down and now only works in momentary mode.
Next up Duracell - reads over 3 volts - works only in momentary mode - did not come on when initially screwing down the tail cap.
Next Pentagonlight battery - reading over 3 volts but no light - dead. Reset and still no light.
Lastly went back to the longest battery that worked fine a few minutes ago but now it only works in momentary - DARN - this one's a booger too.

And one more idea I tried. I shorted the positive battery contact to the rim of the case (no battery installed) with the idea that if there was a small voltage left in the control circuit due to a capacitor that this might push it down to zero and cause a reset or reboot condition. So far that seems to be what happened as I put the original battery back in and it works fine now. I'll try this some more tomorrow but must get some sleep now.
So try pulling the battery and using a tool or alligator clip leads or whatever to get that positive in the head shorted for a few seconds the the bare aluminum on the tail edge of the case. Let's see if that takes care of this problem for now anyway.