Why are CandlePower Forum members so tolerant?

PayBack

Enlightened
Although there's the odd flame war here, you get those everywhere. The thing I've noticed though is how tolerant you guys seem to be to new people who ask the same questions as the guy before him.
I see at least one new "whats a good thrower" question every week, and each has replies from people giving advice. 70% of them would know to get a DBS or A8 or whatever after about 5 minutes searching the forums. Only about 30% have criteria that would warrant a post of their own. I frequent a number of other forums and just about every one would flame anyone posting over and over questions that have been answered many times in previous threads.
Plus in another thread a new member said he appreciated the kind words he received as noobs are usually ignored... but no, again not here they aren't. They are usually welcomed and made to feel like they belong.
So... are flashaholics naturally more tolerant and helpful than your average netizen?

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe that Flashaholics seem to prefer talking about flashlights on the internet rather than actually using them. White walls are easier to hunt when you're indoors after all!

Moving to the Cafe

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because we have a busted search and everyone knows it. It's quicker and easier and nicer for all just to say DBS, A8, asphere mag instead of "F off, search noob lawl"

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although there's the odd flame war here, you get those everywhere. The thing I've noticed though is how tolerant you guys seem to be to new people who ask the same questions as the guy before him.
I see at least one new "whats a good thrower" question every week, and each has replies from people giving advice. 70% of them would know to get a DBS or A8 or whatever after about 5 minutes searching the forums. Only about 30% have criteria that would warrant a post of their own. I frequent a number of other forums and just about every one would flame anyone posting over and over questions that have been answered many times in previous threads.
Plus in another thread a new member said he appreciated the kind words he received as noobs are usually ignored... but no, again not here they aren't. They are usually welcomed and made to feel like they belong.
So... are flashaholics naturally more tolerant and helpful than your average netizen?

Why don't you take your crap and pedal it somewhere else...

... tolerance:ohgeez::banghead::rant::hairpull::tsk:

:welcome:

I'm just playin' witcha!

Here is the answer to your question: There aren't many people like us so when we find like-minded, flashlight obsessed people, we just stick together:twothumbs Additionally, people that like flashlights are just simply cooler:cool: than the unenlightened folks that don't.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patience, kindness, respect, and being friendly are free, and make a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience for everyone. Nobody wants the place to be unplesant, there is a bit of a feeling of family.

Besides, we were all new to flashights, and to internet forums once ourselves. Hopefully we were treated with as much friendly respect :).

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the heck do you want.

Just kidding. Your post is one of the reasons I like this place. It is usually very friendly and everyone usually gets the help they need no matter if their a seasoned member or a new member.

Bill

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the warm welcome I got here very refreshing, and I'm glad to reciprocate. Flashoholics seem to like the bright side of things and are happy to have others join them in seeking enlightenment.

goatee: You're cracking me up! ..."Why don't you take your crap and pedal it somewhere else..."

Illum

Flashaholic
when your family/friends doesn't care for the hobby, who is there to care for us?

theres nothing like the familiarity and homeliness of telling others who will actually listen to your opinions of lights. I'm sure many of us [myself included] that didn't know who to turn to for the "sickness" and found family here on the forum.

strangers are just relatives you never knew:rolleyes:

the reason you don't see much flaming is the efforts of our moderators...and the creation of "the underground," basically a separate forum where all the @#$% from this forum is eventually transferred to.

BVH

Flashaholic
I love this place and have since way back in Sept, 04. I've seen changes, some good some not but it's still great to hang out here and people, in general, are definitely helpful and friendly. I'd never have thought that I would actually meet people I had conversations with on the Net but I've been to many shootouts and two get-togethers and not been disappointed once with the people or the lights.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think credit goes to Silverfox, js , DM51, Radio, and all the admins (too many that ill risk forgetting to name some and therefore not naming any..) the most,
and of course, the former Serving Wench...

cheers you guys!

also, might be because CPF is made up of mostly, more mature, stable adults, whereas alot of other forums are made up of angsty teens/ just out of teens...? possible....

"!@#^% do a search newb lawl" sounds very angsty teen to me...:nana:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe because helping someone feels good. It feels especially good when it's a question that can get an exact answer, like "You should buy flashlight X. It does what you want."

e2x2e

Enlightened
I think credit goes to Silverfox, js , DM51, Radio, and all the admins (too many that ill risk forgetting to name some and therefore not naming any..) the most,
and of course, the former Serving Wench...

cheers you guys!

also, might be because CPF is made up of mostly, more mature, stable adults, whereas alot of other forums are made up of angsty teens/ just out of teens...? possible....

"!@#^% do a search newb lawl" sounds very angsty teen to me...:nana:

Crenshaw

I'm a teen :)

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
While I'd like to "ditto" many of the charitable comments above, and while I'm sure I'll be accused of trying to suck up, I think the credit really belongs to the Admin types. Having been associated with several different boards over the years, I have learned that a forum will be as good or bad as the Admin allows it to be.

Plus, there's one other aspect.

You guys are incredibly knowledgable in the chosen field. Unlike many other forums where much of the information is arguable with topics like...

"Which knife is toughest?"

and the ever popular:

"9mm vs. .45acp?"

When it comes to flashlights, it pretty much boils down to the math and easily measurable results.

I've never been tempted to argue with the more "illuminated" flashlight guys around here but if I had been, the discussion of actual test results for lumen output etc, would have quashed any urge I felt.

After all, you can't fight the math.

So, call it good administration and a high standard of knowledge. Plus, mosta y'all are pretty okay! :D

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a teen :)

me too...:eek: thats why i can say with experience, that alot of us can be uneceasrily harsh and vulgar, especially online, and especially in the gaming world...:grin2: which is why i love it here

sadly, this will be my last year as a teen..:( i dont wanna stop being one just yet.. its too much fun...

Crenshaw

Torchy

Banned
Patience, kindness, respect, and being friendly are free, and make a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience for everyone. Nobody wants the place to be unplesant, there is a bit of a feeling of family.

Besides, we were all new to flashights, and to internet forums once ourselves. Hopefully we were treated with as much friendly respect :).

Are we talking about the same forums? I join up, make my first post, and three minutes later, somebody responds, making fun of it, with one of those 'laughing myself sick' smilies.
I object to the smartarse, and one of the MODS tells me that people on here aren't so smart (meaning stupid) and that I'm going to fit right in. (Meaning I'm stupid too.)
The only stupid thing I did was join in the first place. There doesn't seem to be an 'unsubscribe' button. Perhaps one of the charming Moderators could do it for me.