NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are CandlePower Forum members so tolerant?

Default Why are CandlePower Forum members so tolerant?

Although there's the odd flame war here, you get those everywhere. The thing I've noticed though is how tolerant you guys seem to be to new people who ask the same questions as the guy before him.
    I see at least one new "whats a good thrower" question every week, and each has replies from people giving advice. 70% of them would know to get a DBS or A8 or whatever after about 5 minutes searching the forums. Only about 30% have criteria that would warrant a post of their own. I frequent a number of other forums and just about every one would flame anyone posting over and over questions that have been answered many times in previous threads.
    Plus in another thread a new member said he appreciated the kind words he received as noobs are usually ignored... but no, again not here they aren't. They are usually welcomed and made to feel like they belong.
    So... are flashaholics naturally more tolerant and helpful than your average netizen?
    Last edited by PayBack; 04-15-2008 at 06:36 PM.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honour

Default Re: Why are CandlePower Forum members so tolerant?

I have no idea.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

I believe that Flashaholics seem to prefer talking about flashlights on the internet rather than actually using them. White walls are easier to hunt when you're indoors after all!

Moving to the Cafe

Flashaholic*

Because we have a busted search and everyone knows it. It's quicker and easier and nicer for all just to say DBS, A8, asphere mag instead of "F off, search noob lawl"

Quote Originally Posted by PayBack View Post
    Although there's the odd flame war here, you get those everywhere. The thing I've noticed though is how tolerant you guys seem to be to new people who ask the same questions as the guy before him.
    I see at least one new "whats a good thrower" question every week, and each has replies from people giving advice. 70% of them would know to get a DBS or A8 or whatever after about 5 minutes searching the forums. Only about 30% have criteria that would warrant a post of their own. I frequent a number of other forums and just about every one would flame anyone posting over and over questions that have been answered many times in previous threads.
    Plus in another thread a new member said he appreciated the kind words he received as noobs are usually ignored... but no, again not here they aren't. They are usually welcomed and made to feel like they belong.
    So... are flashaholics naturally more tolerant and helpful than your average netizen?
    Why don't you take your crap and pedal it somewhere else...

... tolerance

I'm just playin' witcha!

Here is the answer to your question: There aren't many people like us so when we find like-minded, flashlight obsessed people, we just stick together Additionally, people that like flashlights are just simply cooler than the unenlightened folks that don't.
    -Goatee

Quote Originally Posted by :)> View Post
    Additionally, people that like flashlights are just simply cooler than the unenlightened folks that don't.
    +1 lol!

Flashaholic*

Patience, kindness, respect, and being friendly are free, and make a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience for everyone. Nobody wants the place to be unplesant, there is a bit of a feeling of family.

Besides, we were all new to flashights, and to internet forums once ourselves. Hopefully we were treated with as much friendly respect .
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

What the heck do you want.

Just kidding. Your post is one of the reasons I like this place. It is usually very friendly and everyone usually gets the help they need no matter if their a seasoned member or a new member.

Bill
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

I found the warm welcome I got here very refreshing, and I'm glad to reciprocate. Flashoholics seem to like the bright side of things and are happy to have others join them in seeking enlightenment.

goatee: You're cracking me up! ..."Why don't you take your crap and pedal it somewhere else..."

Wink2 Re: Why are CandlePower Forum members so tolerant?

when your family/friends doesn't care for the hobby, who is there to care for us?

theres nothing like the familiarity and homeliness of telling others who will actually listen to your opinions of lights. I'm sure many of us [myself included] that didn't know who to turn to for the "sickness" and found family here on the forum.

strangers are just relatives you never knew

the reason you don't see much flaming is the efforts of our moderators...and the creation of "the underground," basically a separate forum where all the @#$% from this forum is eventually transferred to.

I love this place and have since way back in Sept, 04. I've seen changes, some good some not but it's still great to hang out here and people, in general, are definitely helpful and friendly. I'd never have thought that I would actually meet people I had conversations with on the Net but I've been to many shootouts and two get-togethers and not been disappointed once with the people or the lights.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

I think credit goes to Silverfox, js , DM51, Radio, and all the admins (too many that ill risk forgetting to name some and therefore not naming any..) the most,
    and of course, the former Serving Wench...

cheers you guys!

also, might be because CPF is made up of mostly, more mature, stable adults, whereas alot of other forums are made up of angsty teens/ just out of teens...? possible....

"!@#^% do a search newb lawl" sounds very angsty teen to me...

Crenshaw

Maybe because helping someone feels good. It feels especially good when it's a question that can get an exact answer, like "You should buy flashlight X. It does what you want."
    A little madness never hurt anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    I think credit goes to Silverfox, js , DM51, Radio, and all the admins (too many that ill risk forgetting to name some and therefore not naming any..) the most,
    and of course, the former Serving Wench...

cheers you guys!

also, might be because CPF is made up of mostly, more mature, stable adults, whereas alot of other forums are made up of angsty teens/ just out of teens...? possible....

"!@#^% do a search newb lawl" sounds very angsty teen to me...

Crenshaw
    I'm a teen

Quote Originally Posted by e2x2e View Post
    I'm a teen

Most teens I've communicated with here on CPF seem to exhibit a higher level of maturity than many teens I encounter in person.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

While I'd like to "ditto" many of the charitable comments above, and while I'm sure I'll be accused of trying to suck up, I think the credit really belongs to the Admin types. Having been associated with several different boards over the years, I have learned that a forum will be as good or bad as the Admin allows it to be.

Plus, there's one other aspect.

You guys are incredibly knowledgable in the chosen field. Unlike many other forums where much of the information is arguable with topics like...

"Which knife is toughest?"

and the ever popular:

"9mm vs. .45acp?"

When it comes to flashlights, it pretty much boils down to the math and easily measurable results.

I've never been tempted to argue with the more "illuminated" flashlight guys around here but if I had been, the discussion of actual test results for lumen output etc, would have quashed any urge I felt.

After all, you can't fight the math.

So, call it good administration and a high standard of knowledge. Plus, mosta y'all are pretty okay!

Quote Originally Posted by e2x2e View Post
    I'm a teen
    me too... thats why i can say with experience, that alot of us can be uneceasrily harsh and vulgar, especially online, and especially in the gaming world... which is why i love it here

sadly, this will be my last year as a teen.. i dont wanna stop being one just yet.. its too much fun...

Crenshaw

I think they're all on drugs. But thats just an uneducated guess.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1959 View Post
    Patience, kindness, respect, and being friendly are free, and make a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience for everyone. Nobody wants the place to be unplesant, there is a bit of a feeling of family.

Besides, we were all new to flashights, and to internet forums once ourselves. Hopefully we were treated with as much friendly respect .
    Are we talking about the same forums? I join up, make my first post, and three minutes later, somebody responds, making fun of it, with one of those 'laughing myself sick' smilies.
    I object to the smartarse, and one of the MODS tells me that people on here aren't so smart (meaning stupid) and that I'm going to fit right in. (Meaning I'm stupid too.)
    The only stupid thing I did was join in the first place. There doesn't seem to be an 'unsubscribe' button. Perhaps one of the charming Moderators could do it for me.

I consider myself to be a generally nice guy and I have no reason to change that persona when I'm online. (except when it comes to the use of 18650s, forward clickies and bezel down pocket-clips I guess).
    Furthermore I personally believe that having access to a quality lighting instrument is a good thing to promote. I usually sit down every few nights and just go looking for these newbie posts and respond to them. I might go nuts if I did it all the time, but I find I can usually be helpful if I do it every once in awhile.

I think some of the credit goes to a good bunch of members we have. Some credit also goes to the admins and mods who work (pretty hard sometimes) to create a civil atmosphere here at CPF. Add that to the fact that most newbie questions that I read are generally courteous and well punctuated, so there is rarely a reason to open up a can of napalm.
    Perhaps we generally attract a decent crowd, and the few others that we get are rightfully ignored or quickly whipped into shape by the mods.
    1) Neutral white, it's the new black. Heck, it's not even "new" anymore.
    2) User Interface... KISS.
    3) Proprietary cells and battery packs - Just say NO!

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PayBack View Post
    I see at least one new "whats a good thrower" question every week, and each has replies from people giving advice. 70% of them would know to get a DBS or A8 or whatever after about 5 minutes searching the forums. ?

umm What is a DBS? or A8? and that was not Last weeks winner, mabey its this weeks stuff changes so fast , them in the Know, in the loop, living it might know, but not everyone lives in that loop or should have to. besides the best thrower is a aspherical , Anybody should know that , walks all over them other 2.

so say (for example) a person walked up off the street and asked you what the heck flashlight you were using, would you tell them "GO DO A SEARCH BUDDY"
    and suppose you started talking to this person (on the street, the real street in real life) , would you tell them " you aint asking anything new, what's a matter you stupid or somethin" , and "why dont you go to Candlepowerfourms.com and READ a bit" then come back here and ask me somthing that i havent heard before . "

thats why.

and that is what I dont understand about any forum. What makes people think that on the WEB you can treat everybody like a stupid idiot, and in real life you wouldnt do that.
    when somone ask you about the movie you saw last week, do you say. . . " Hey, you get a newspaper , read it ya'self"

The people on various forums are Sickeningly DEEP into the subjects they discuss, even to the point of some sort of complusive insanity. Why would they believe that some "Newbie" walking into the place has any idea what your talking about, let alone what to even Search FOR?

that is also why i say, that people should MEET the people they talk to on the web, EVEN the ones they have knock down drag out fights with, because at a BBQ or a luncheon, or hanging out for real, they just arent really that way.
    And there is also minimal capacity to have body language and emphasized speech, and emoticon, and all the things that make up human communications, on the web, the web is Dry and cold already.

why 10,000 years ago cavemen could communicate without text, and 10,000 years later, they have every imaginable form of communication, and communicate Worse than ever.

Well you get the idea, it might be the WEB, but were all Real People still, slightly off the deep end with the light stuff but no less real.

Uhhh, light bright ooo ooooh, make fire ,gronk, gronk, cave no dark anymore.
    Last edited by VidPro; 04-16-2008 at 05:48 AM.

Crenshaw, fear not! It truly gets better the older you get!

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    I believe that Flashaholics seem to prefer talking about flashlights on the internet rather than actually using them. White walls are easier to hunt when you're indoors after all!
    Post of the month.

PERHAPS THE WORLD LEADERS SHOULD ALL JOIN CPF... THEY WOULD GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT COMRADERY IS ALL ABOUT.

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Crenshaw, fear not! It truly gets better the older you get!
    i do hope so...

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
    and that is what I dont understand about any forum. What makes people think that on the WEB you can treat everybody like a stupid idiot, and in real life you wouldnt do that.
    Very good point to bring up. I'm constantly amazed at how many people out there are proving John Gabriel's Greater Internet <expletive omitted> Theory. I won't link to it because it's vulgar, but a quick Google search for the curious will easily turn up what I'm talking about.

CPF is a pretty unique place. It's the largest forum I know of that is able to keep the discussions civil. Props to the mods and admins for keeping it under control. And props to all the grisled old flashlight veterans that have so much patience for us newbs.

...and completely off-topic. This is my 100th post! I'm a Flashaholic now!
    -Forrest

Talking Re: Why are CandlePower Forum members so tolerant?

Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    PERHAPS THE WORLD LEADERS SHOULD ALL JOIN CPF... THEY WOULD GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT COMRADERY IS ALL ABOUT.
    I think one of those things commonly agreed on the forum is not to use caps when talking unless your intentions are to shout
    even in that sorts we usually throw in smilies [i.e ]

I think CPF is civil for a few reasons, but perhaps the main reason is because people who share the love of flashlight and flashlight related gizmos really enjoy being here and don't want to mess things up.

Forums with more popular/common topics like motorcycles, autos, guns, gmaes, etc., attract a much larger group that might not have the same "focus" that we here share. Auto forums are a dime a dozen and tend to lack sense of community we have here. True they may have their fill a regulars, but aside from that they seem empty and hollow.

We are a diverse group, but we share an uncommon fascination. It's often referred to that the general public just can't relate to our love of "expensive" flashlights. Many people are fascinated by photography, guns, knives, etc. but far less seem to appreciate what we do.

I think the sense of shared fascination goes a long way when it is unconventional in terms of the general public. Having the chance to interact with others who share such interest is extremely enjoyable.

I'd also say that the forum's owner's and management do a great job of keeping it on track and high quality. We do have our share of drive by trolls but in general we're not a bunch that give those folks much fun an they seem to move on quickly.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
    Are we talking about the same forums? I join up, make my first post, and three minutes later, somebody responds, making fun of it, with one of those 'laughing myself sick' smilies.
    I object to the smartarse, and one of the MODS tells me that people on here aren't so smart (meaning stupid) and that I'm going to fit right in. (Meaning I'm stupid too.)
    The only stupid thing I did was join in the first place. There doesn't seem to be an 'unsubscribe' button. Perhaps one of the charming Moderators could do it for me.
    Sorry to hear your experience has been bad, there are always exceptions, but its real easy to "unsubscribe" if that is what you truly wish. Simply do not return, take it out of favorites and forget the place exists, hope this helps.
    Last edited by Lee1959; 04-16-2008 at 02:04 PM.
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast