need to replace a old maglite 3d

wayway1981

Newly Enlightened
ok i just want to say hi:nana:and ask what should i replace my old trusty work flashlight it has been placed on under car seat duty:tinfoil:

i bought a inova x1 after people said they liked it at target for 20 bones and love the size i just needed it brighter!:huh: i was looking of the inova website and found the bolt aa at 3.8watts "wow" :drool:that is bright then the led 3d maglite at 3 watts right?:faint: i am looked to spend around maybe $50 max i like led and hate cr123 but only due to crazy cost they are over 2 buck each in my area:broke:i want something that well last and be cheap to feed but super bright and have a run time over 2 hours?:thumbsup:

any ideas? ? ? :confused::eek::thumbsup:

Newuser01

Enlightened
You can never go wrong with Streamlight 4AA Lux for about 25 bucks. Fox international has them but make sure that is not led version, it needs to be lux version.
You can get more bang with a couple of ROV extreme version from walmart and other B&M stores that are getting a lot of buzz lately as they are only about 20 - 25 bucks, AA cells and really bright! Get the 1 watt version for longer run times. 3 watters only get about an hour run time If I remember correctly.

And when you say 3.8 watts - does not mean crap as it is not driven at 3.8 watts at all but the led may be rated at 3.8 watts not what the torch is producing.

Oh, and what is your light be used for?

Regards.
Victor

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I used the Maglite LED upgrade, only $18.95 and the output is very good. I upgraded my MiniMag with the TerraLux unit and it is a different flashlight now. Strong white light that does not dim and lasts for more than two hours on NIMH batteries. Don't throw your Maglite away, upgrade it and enjoy the good build of the flashlight with the advancement of an LED. ;)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix L2D-CE Q5 will be over you price range, even with the 8% off coupon "CPF8".

This thread might also interest you.

If you can solder decently, try a MagLED Seoul mod. It should double the output of the MagLED drop-in with no decrease in runtime. The current gen LEDs are twice or more efficient then the last gen ones.

If you can wait at least 2 weeks for a light to arrive, then Dealextreme could also be a good dealer. Look in the current gen LED section(Cree/Seoul/Rebel) for a light getting good reviews.

:welcome:

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
To bad you didn't have another 25 clams...otherwise I would highly recomend the malkoff,talk about reach out and touch someone,how about reach out and blind someone at 100 ft.With 240 lum and a runtime of 4 1/2 hrs on a 3d mag setup....best bang for the buck in my view,although you'll have to keep your eyes out to come available...check it out at malkoffdevices.com,gl.:welcome:

bspofford

Enlightened
If you want something with heft that it about the same size as a Mag 2D, try the two-mode Eastward YJ-XCQ5 at KD for about $28. You will also need a pair of TrustFire 18650 Li-ion cells and a charger, and your total for the package will be about $50. BTW, you'll save a lot on batteries by going with rechargeable Li-ion cells.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP :welcome: wants a new light to carry, and use his Mag for the car. He has already tried something else and wasn't happy with it. He doesn't want CR123s and wants it to be very bright.

This is CPF. What happened to buy them both;). A L2D will blow the Mag away, uses AA, and will fit in his pocket. With the discount it's less then $52.00 including shipping.

Last edited:

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I put Mag's LED upgrade into my two 3-D Maglites, and I've been very pleased with their performance since then. Battery life is awesome, output is much improved, and you can't beat the price. Despite having better, smaller and brighter flashlights available, my wife and I still use the Maglites for home repair work and the like. These are good beater lights, both because they're very tough and because Mag has a great warranty.

If you have more money to spend, let me second the recommendations for Fenix and fenix-store.com.

Fird

Enlightened
haha, buy the replacement, then ROP mod the mag ::evil grin:: (ROP = roar of the pelican = really freaking bright incandescent bulb which can be used in the mag with a bit of modification)

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can solder decently, try a MagLED Seoul mod. It should double the output of the MagLED drop-in with no decrease in runtime. The current gen LEDs are twice or more efficient then the last gen ones.
Replacing the Luxeon III for a Seoul P4 U bin for brightness and H bin for voltage is definitely a dramatic improvement. I've used the USX0H for all of my Mag Luxeon III replacing so far.

sabre7

Enlightened

Oops! Thanks for the correction! I have owned both the Mag LED and Terralux for my Mag 4D under the seat Emergency Attitude Adjustment Device. :devil:

I took back the Mag LEDs after comparing side by side with Terralux. There was nothing wrong with the Mag LEDs, and they did not drop off in brightness because of heatsinking problems as some say.

The Terralux are about the same price but nearly twice as bright and have a much whiter beam. Terralux seems to be made a little better & sturdier too.

Last edited:

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Excellent link steve...if you're looking for an Every Day Carry(EDC) that runs on aa since cr123's aren't your favorite,I was looking at the Fenix L1D ce(tapping your limit even with cpf discount),the Fenix L0D ce(aaa user but low runtime on high)a second one for me,as well as a Jetbeam-I MkII.Just a few pointers gl in your search.:D

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Fenix L2D Q5. Spend the extra few bucks.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops! Thanks for the correction! I have owned both the Mag LED and Terralux for my Mag 4D under the seat Emergency Attitude Adjustment Device. :devil:

I took back the Mag LEDs after comparing side by side with Terralux. There was nothing wrong with the Mag LEDs, and they did not drop off in brightness because of heatsinking problems as some say.

The Terralux are about the same price but nearly twice as bright and have a much whiter beam. Terralux seems to be made a little better & sturdier too.

MagLED modules have a thermal regulator. As the LED heats up the circuitry reduced current to the led thus preventing it from going :poof:

Further, I have one and it takes about 10 minutes of on time to get a noticable drop. Maybe you weren't leaving your on very long...