Looking for a potting compound.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to put an Inova X5 back together that I freeze popped but I want it to be about as water proof as before. Is there a silicone gel or something that is non-conductive, non-corrosive, and non-permanent that I could use? A friend of mine told me of some troubles they had with RTV being corrosive to the board and I'm guessing it's the solvent used to keep the silicone soft. I don't want to use epoxy in case I want to update it later.

Any ideas?

TIA,
-LT

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to put an Inova X5 back together that I freeze popped but I want it to be about as water proof as before. Is there a silicone gel or something that is non-conductive, non-corrosive, and non-permanent that I could use? A friend of mine told me of some troubles they had with RTV being corrosive to the board and I'm guessing it's the solvent used to keep the silicone soft. I don't want to use epoxy in case I want to update it later.

Any ideas?

TIA,
-LT

RTV162 and RTV167 are recommended for use in aerospace, automotive, appliance and other industries which incorporate electronic components into a finished product. Electronic and integrated circuits, semiconductors and copper connections are typical applications.

RTV162 adhesive sealant is recommended for sealing and bonding of electronic components onto printed circuit boards and protecting copper connections on electronic parts assemblies.

RTV167 adhesive sealant is recommended for sealing and bonding where high strength would be required.

If you can't find some, PM me, got it in my hand..

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info, thanks. :thumbsup: I'll have a look over here and see if I can get it locally. Looks like RTV162 would be preferred in this application.

-LT

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
I know you said you don't want to use epoxy.. but maybe for other's reference who click on this thread...

MG chemicals makes a thermal epoxy/potting compound that's non conductive and non capacitive with a thermal conductance of 0.682W/mK.

It's aerospace quality, NASA uses it.. awesome stuff, but not too cheap because of the 2x250ml minimum quantity.. runs about $40.