Mag Led reliability

Sam44

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering. We purchased 12 2D Mag Led flashlights for our graveyard shift. The staff love them but I've just got my third bad bulb returned to me to be replaced (we are sending them to Maglite for exchange). The warranty is great to have but I'm a little disappointed at the reliability. Are we just unlucky or has this been a problem?

Sam44

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I hope your experience is unusual and the problem does not persist. I did a Maglite LED upgrade to my 3 D Cell Maglite last year and it has been problem free. I feel the build quality of a Maglite is very good and coupled with the long life and low battery needs of a LED you get a very good deal for the money. Let us know if this problem gets resolved.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Can you give any estimate on the number of hours use the MagLED's have had? How long have the 2D lights been in use?

I've heard that the LED can come loose from the metal module as a result of drops.

Sam44

Newly Enlightened
The lights are on about 15 minutes total a night (a rough guess) and we've had them about one year. That's a little over 90 hours (365 times .4). We use them for indoor security checks in a large complex, so they are turned on and off a lot (let's hear it for the Mag switches!) The Mag thermal protection design works fine as the lights rarely have time to heat up and so for practical usage we get max brightness most of the time. One of the three did have the led separated from the metal base but the light itself had no obvious damage and the highest distance the lights should fall when dropped are waist high (our staff does not do any climbing or standing on high surfaces, at least I hope not.) The other two simply did not work. I've also got a 3 D for home use and I am happy with it's cost/battery life/brightness factors.

Sam44

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's just bizarre and a shame that you're having issues with them. I've got either 4 or 5 and never had a failure. My dad also has two of them and no issues. At least they're warranty.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I have two 3-D Mags with their LED upgrade. Both are used frequently and one is used heavily. No problems.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sam44

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Yes, the Maglite customer service is a big plus.