theshorelinemarket_1998_89892903.jpg

arent these going to be quite similar?

L5_large.jpg

Crenshaw

PS: image from battery junction and surefire.com, but not hotlinked

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, exactly, so i am wondering what incentive will there be for people to buy the L5...

just looking for opinions, i am not saying no implying anything about surefire, good or bad...:kiss:

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the output of the KL5A? if its still 100lumens,the P61L will kill it easy.

Crenshaw

Greg_Jones

Newly Enlightened
The L5 has been dropped from SureFire's 2008 catalog, as has the L4. Perhaps SureFire intends the C2L to serve as the alternative to both the L4 and the L5?

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
Why would surefire make a 200 lumen drop in if it drops to 100 lumens due to heat? isnt that kinda stupid? I love surefires but that hopefully isnt true.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would surefire make a 200 lumen drop in if it drops to 100 lumens due to heat? isnt that kinda stupid? I love surefires but that hopefully isnt true.

I cannot confirm but this is what has been said. It's like the P60L dropping between 50 (G2L with Nitrolon head) - 75 lumens (6PL) after it heated up. A drop-in like this cannot conduct heat as well as a well heatsinked head like the KL5A to cool down the LED.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is that now I'm gonna have to buy BOTH!

I just can't resist... Must buy new SF...

Damn you Crenshaw! I didn't know they had new lights...:mad:

Last edited:

USM0083

Enlightened
thats what i thought.. if the heat can be transfered away via a metal head, etc, shouldnt it be good? i mean, the KL5A is only so big...

Crenshaw

I've run a P60L in a G2 with both a metal and nitrolon bezel, and the metal bezel certainly draws quite a bit more heat away from the lamp module after a 10 min run. With the nitrolon head the P60L is quite a bit hotter, but I could still hold it in my hand. I would think that after 20 min it would be too hot to hold.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is that now I'm gonna have to buy BOTH!

I just can't resist... Must buy new SF...

Damn you Crenshaw! I didn't know they had new lights...:mad:

thats the only "personal" attack i dont mind...:nana:

i will probably just buy a P61L, a KL5A head, and a z59 clicky....it should all lego with my c2 right...:D

Crenshaw

Size15's

Flashaholic
What do SureFire's users currently use the P61 & P91 for? As long as the P61L beats the performance of the P61 & P91 then ensuring the LED does not overheat and will have a healthy lifespan is all part of SureFire's desire to build products that can be used intensively for years.

If people think SureFire considers it needs to compete with it's own aftermarket then I believe people don't know SureFire or SureFire's real user market very well.

Al

dmz

Enlightened
I'm going to get the Surefire C2L since it is easier to fit in my pocket than a Surefire L5. Surefire L5 is difficult to edc; you would have to get a big sheath/holster and attached to your belt.

greenstuffs

Banned
What do SureFire's users currently use the P61 & P91 for? As long as the P61L beats the performance of the P61 & P91 then ensuring the LED does not overheat and will have a healthy lifespan is all part of SureFire's desire to build products that can be used intensively for years.

If people think SureFire considers it needs to compete with it's own aftermarket then I believe people don't know SureFire or SureFire's real user market very well.

Al

I think the C2L is just an alternative for people who may need the incan and LED in a light where as the L5 is a dedicated LED with its benefits.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, even with 200 for only an hour, the P61L would still beat the P61 incan for runtime......and then it drops to 100lumens, rouhgly the same as the P60...so....look at it as a P61 with emergency P60 built it!

:twothumbs:

i honestly dont know if i am kidding or serious....:ohgeez:

Crenshaw

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L5 has been dropped from SureFire's 2008 catalog, as has the L4. Perhaps SureFire intends the C2L to serve as the alternative to both the L4 and the L5?

The L5 is still being sold on the website but with an updated "KL5A" head which gives similar output with longer runtimes. Surefire analysts believe this new head is a transitional stage between the old L5 and a possible replacement. As for the C2L vs L5 debate, it seems that there is enough personal preference involved to make the two lights different to the consumer.