TK10 V's CL1H V3 R2

marc123

Newly Enlightened
Well I just got my TK10 tonight.

I like it, although there a a few little things I think could have been better. It could have had black screws rather than silver for the clip and a black band option instead of the gold. The thickness of the tube varies so that my RC123's get stuck at a certain point and need to be pushed out. I don't really like the tactical ring as it feels very uncomfortable to me with little actual value, I can easily do the cigar grip without it. Cannot really put it in your pocket with it on with any degree of comfort with the ring on.

The good things are that it is very solid, I love the switch and easy access to it. Simplicity and brightness of the general mode is perfect. Build quality is great. Beam is very smooth with lots of spill but no hot spot for pushing out the distance.

I went for a walk and compared it to my CL1H R2. The Deerelight appears about 25% brighter to me with a distinct hotspot that easily out throws the TK10. The tint is much warmer but I don't really have a preference to either in this regard. Spill is about the same for both. The TK10 is smaller in the hand but heavier. The TK10 feels a lot more solid and I strongly suspect it would handle more abuse.

I like both lights a lot. I think the TK10 is better for tactical work as it does not blind you when used indoors for room clearing on high mode, the CL1H is too bright for me for this and I get blinded when it is shone in a room with white walls. However I could use a multi mode pill for the CL1H to avoid this. The TK10 is more rugged, smaller, and has a slightly easier switch to access. Run time on the CL1H is better with the 18650. Both are great lights and I would be happy to carry either.

These are just my thoughts for what it is worth.

Cheers.

P.S. This is more of a discussion than review but please feel free to move it to reviews if you think it should go there rather than here :).