Those of you posting bait and switch threads

Delta

Enlightened
How about everyone who is posting new threads just come right out and say what they want to talk about? I'm tired of clicking on threads that say something like this:

THREAD TITLE: FENIX R2 LIGHT (I assume someone has info on a new light)

1st POST CONTENT: Anyone know when they'll make one?

This is ALL OVER this forum! It's like people are afraid their thread wont be read unless they "trick" you into reading it. Thats just one example of how this is done, but it is all over and its getting really annoying. This is the only forum I frequent that I see this happen constantly.

If you have something to say, say it. If you have something to ask, ask it. Don't dangle one small peice and make me have to work/waste my time to see what you REALLY mean.

And yes, we have all seen the "Puke Light." Lets move on now......

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I don't even bother clicking on those threads anymore, because I assume that a poster with any information to share would include at least some of it in the title.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:oo:Delta , thank you , I agree with your opening post and its contents. While we're on our soap box's...... may I please rant some too ..................

:ohgeez:
I'm tired of all the "Groupies" JUST posting so they can show us a link to all the various cheap lights on DX and KD !

CandlePowerForums is NOT an advertisement forum for the benefit of DX and KD. If I want to know whats there I can get there on my own ! I don't need individual links leading me there. Neither the poster or the website is giving us any vital information about the light mentioned - mostly only a picture.

I honestly wish threads with "DX" and "KD" in the title were not allowed in CPF discussion forums. They should be restricted to the MarketPlace forums. If you're not discussing a lights merits or reviewing it - don't post about it just to advertise it.

Maybe DX and KD should be assigned their very own SUB-section within the MarketPlace so related threads could go there for those so interested. Give the CULT following of "groupies" their very own place to hang out. I'm personally tired of the distraction .

We come here to discuss lights - NOT to see dealer advertisements. Once a light gets reviews and discussion...... then we might request a link to it / or be warned away from it. KD and DX are not earning my respect with their "flea market" , "take-it-or-leave-it" , "no details" , "too costly to return/throw away" marketing site.

:mad:

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I get annoyed by threads that don't actually describe the content of the thread.

Titles like:

My newest toy

You gotta check this out.. . .

etc.

If your thread has lasting value, give it a title that will allow it to be found in a future search.

A title like: "Surefire G2 modified with 5-mode R2" might have some lasting value.

Norm

Retired Administrator
It's not unusual to find threads with tittles like "Latest info on whatever light" when what they meant to say was "Does anybody have info on whatever light?" I find it most annoying to open a thread expecting to learn about the new whatever light and all I find is a question.
I could get through reading CPF in half the time if it wasn't for all the misleading thread titles.
Norm

Illum

Flashaholic
Yucca Patrol, +1:sick:

First it was the fenix TK reviews, yes we know is awesome but if your going to do a review say and illustrate something of more substance than just one sentence.

since we don't have a representative for DX [if we did imagine the negative PMs he would get] we can only advise those who are willing to listen, however what that may affect is anyones guess:candle:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I generally try to avoid arguments, I have to say something about this one. First off, I personally appreciate links to the best of the new lights. That way I don't have to waste half an hour looking through every flashlight website. It's definitely not advertising, as the poster are not even affiliated with the sites. It's just being helpful.

But even that is a bit besides the point. Why in the world do you think DX and KD should be forbidden topics? Not everybody has unlimited money to spend on flashlights. You should try looking for a budget light - with a great frequency the best results are on those two sites. Do you think that all threads mentioning Surefire should be prohibited? What about Fenix? If you're about to call me on the technicality that they are manufacturers not stores, consider that many of the cheap flashlights sold on those two site are not sold anywhere else, and almost all of them are not available at a comparable price elsewhere.

Those who post about DX and KD are not "groupies" and are not a member of a "cult". They just don't want to spend too much money on flashlights, like most people.

I can tell you don't like DX or KD. Fine - many people don't. But please don't attack the people who do appreciate those stores.

:eek:oo:Delta , thank you , I agree with your opening post and its contents. While we're on our soap box's...... may I please rant some too ..................

:ohgeez:
I'm tired of all the "Groupies" JUST posting so they can show us a link to all the various cheap lights on DX and KD !

CandlePowerForums is NOT an advertisement forum for the benefit of DX and KD. If I want to know whats there I can get there on my own ! I don't need individual links leading me there. Neither the poster or the website is giving us any vital information about the light mentioned - mostly only a picture.

I honestly wish threads with "DX" and "KD" in the title were not allowed in CPF discussion forums. They should be restricted to the MarketPlace forums. If you're not discussing a lights merits or reviewing it - don't post about it just to advertise it.

Maybe DX and KD should be assigned their very own SUB-section within the MarketPlace so related threads could go there for those so interested. Give the CULT following of "groupies" their very own place to hang out. I'm personally tired of the distraction .

We come here to discuss lights - NOT to see dealer advertisements. Once a light gets reviews and discussion...... then we might request a link to it / or be warned away from it. KD and DX are not earning my respect with their "flea market" , "take-it-or-leave-it" , "no details" , "too costly to return/throw away" marketing site.

:mad:

Delta

Enlightened
As much as I generally try to avoid arguments, I have to say something about this one. First off, I personally appreciate links to the best of the new lights. That way I don't have to waste half an hour looking through every flashlight website. It's definitely not advertising, as the poster are not even affiliated with the sites. It's just being helpful.

But even that is a bit besides the point. Why in the world do you think DX and KD should be forbidden topics? Not everybody has unlimited money to spend on flashlights. You should try looking for a budget light - with a great frequency the best results are on those two sites. Do you think that all threads mentioning Surefire should be prohibited? What about Fenix? If you're about to call me on the technicality that they are manufacturers not stores, consider that many of the cheap flashlights sold on those two site are not sold anywhere else, and almost all of them are not available at a comparable price elsewhere.

Those who post about DX and KD are not "groupies" and are not a member of a "cult". They just don't want to spend too much money on flashlights, like most people.

I can tell you don't like DX or KD. Fine - many people don't. But please don't attack the people who do appreciate those stores.

THREAD: R2 Ultrafire at DX

MESSAGE BODY: Anyone know anything about this one? Is it any good?

I think he was using DX and Kai as examples of what I mentioned earlier. You get a lot of those with those two. Now, if you have one and want to post a review and pics, fine. But starting a thread just to say "Hey, I saw this" is a waste.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind the bait and switch threads. Sometimes there is useful information in the responses to the OP's question, and I learn something.

I don't mind the "new light on DX/Kai posts". It follows the whole spirit of the good deal threads on the marketplace: many members look for good stuff and post when they find it; and I appreciate the pointers as who has time to keep looking through those gigantic sites. The rest is easy enough to ignore. The fact that so much of what people think is interesting happens to be on Kai/DX simply follows from how low their prices are, and low price is half of the "good deal" equation. What we actually buy is of course our own choice...

I don't mind repetitive threads (TK10, et al). There is often more information scattered around, or they're fun to read, or not. But I can not read something even faster than I do read them so filtering is no problem. I think repetitive threads often show up when a new model comes out, and that's OK.

I don't mind when grammar and spelling are off, even for native speakers, because this place is a chatter of conversation. One thing leads to another, and something is lost if you put strict restraints on what can be said in the hubbub. Current rules (no insults, no trolls, no spam, etc.) seem adequate to me.

BTW, I'm often wowed by the the grammar and spelling of the non-native speakers here. Would that I could write in their language how well they write in English.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
THREAD: R2 Ultrafire at DX

MESSAGE BODY: Anyone know anything about this one? Is it any good?

I think he was using DX and Kai as examples of what I mentioned earlier. You get a lot of those with those two. Now, if you have one and want to post a review and pics, fine. But starting a thread just to say "Hey, I saw this" is a waste.

I don't think he meant just that.

"I honestly wish threads with "DX" and "KD" in the title were not allowed in CPF discussion forums. "

"Give the CULT following of "groupies" their very own place to hang out. "

I don't see anything limiting that to bodyless threads.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind the bait and switch threads. Sometimes there is useful information in the responses to the OP's question, and I learn something.

I don't mind the "new light on DX/Kai posts". It follows the whole spirit of the good deal threads on the marketplace: many members look for good stuff and post when they find it; and I appreciate the pointers as who has time to keep looking through those gigantic sites. The rest is easy enough to ignore. The fact that so much of what people think is interesting happens to be on Kai/DX simply follows from how low their prices are, and low price is half of the "good deal" equation. What we actually buy is of course our own choice...

I don't mind repetitive threads (TK10, et al). There is often more information scattered around, or they're fun to read, or not. But I can not read something even faster than I do read them so filtering is no problem. I think repetitive threads often show up when a new model comes out, and that's OK.

I don't mind when grammar and spelling are off, even for native speakers, because this place is a chatter of conversation. One thing leads to another, and something is lost if you put strict restraints on what can be said in the hubbub. Current rules (no insults, no trolls, no spam, etc.) seem adequate to me.

BTW, I'm often wowed by the the grammar and spelling of the non-native speakers here. Would that I could write in their language how well they write in English.

I couldn't agree more.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I my Surefire C2 vs Surefire L5 might qualify...:ohgeez:

thats why i added the :thinking: smiley to it.

I think such threads are okay, as long as in the title, the OP indicates that its a question..such as

"Fenix R2?"
"anyone hear anything about the Fenix R2"

and as for KD/DX lights, i have a found a good many that i seem to have missed in my browsing of thier listings by someone posting them here. So, no qualms with that.

Crenshaw

FsTop

Enlightened
It's a good bet that many of these posts are done by marketing people, fishing for user interest, and looking for input on future products.

So, they may not be ALL bad...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a problem for me! When I move my mouse hand over the thread link I can generally see what the content of the first post is without clicking on it.

Maybe your computers old? What is a puke light?

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't mind the "new light on DX/Kai posts". It follows the spirit of the good deal threads on the marketplace: many members look for good stuff and post when they find it; and I appreciate the pointers as who has time to keep looking through those gigantic sites. The rest is easy enough to ignore.

I don't mind repetitive threads (TK10, et al). There is often more information scattered around, or they're fun to read, or not. But I can not read something even faster than I read them so filtering is no problem. I think repetitive threads often show up when a new model comes out, and that's OK.

I mean, we're diverse and we're all just chatting around here.