What is the best LED drop in module for a surefire 6P?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I own a Surefire G2 and just got the Q5 drop-in module from dealextreme.com. It is very bright, but has rings and dim spots when used under 2m, which is where I am almost always using my light. I am planning on buying a surefire 6P and putting in a nice LED drop-in, but can't decide which one. I would like the brightest drop in with at least an hour of runtime. Should I just stick with the Q5 I have?

umc

Enlightened
My vote goes for the Malkoff M60 as it's very bright even well colored light. I have one in my Surefire C2 and absolutely love the thing. It's very popular around here.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Malkoff M60 (235 + lumens @ 1 1/2 hrs.) in a SF 6P. For my G2's I have Malkoff M60LL's (approx. 8 hours run time @ full output which is 80 +/- lumens), they don't seem to heat up at all in my G2's. My .02 FWIW

jbviau

Enlightened
You might also consider a Wolf Eyes drop-in. It fits with no gap in a 6P (though the rim of the drop-in rests against the bezel lens), and it's available with multiple modes (high-low, etc.). I have an older P4 version, and its beam is very clean and white.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Malkoff. I have both the M60 and M60L and they're awesome :thumbsup:. He sells out rather quickly, so you should sign up for his newsletter.

Another thing, his M60 was not designed for long use with the G2 or any polymer body flashlights. You could get the M60L though.

GPB

Enlightened
If your primary use is for close distances and you value a long burn time, it might make some sense to not go for the brightest light. I would think that something putting out 200+ lumens, when used at 2m or less, could be too bright. You could always use a diffuser I suppose but it will still shorten your battery life. A reflector with a more textured surface might help as well. THe surefire LED is rated at 80 Lumens with a 12 hour run time.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. It really depends on what you're expecting to use your light for. If you want something extremely bright, then the runtime will inevitably be a lot lower. 100+ lumens light are uncomfortable for me to use for close-up reading and working. You could also consider getting a wolf-eye q5 drop in with multiple modes. I don't have one so I can't comment on it, but from what I read, they make pretty good drop ins.

If your primary use is for close distances and you value a long burn time, it might make some sense to not go for the brightest light. I would think that something putting out 200+ lumens, when used at 2m or less, could be too bright. You could always use a diffuser I suppose but it will still shorten your battery life. A reflector with a more textured surface might help as well. THe surefire LED is rated at 80 Lumens with a 12 hour run time.

BigD64

Enlightened
The Malkoff dropins are without a doubt the best available. And you can trade runtime for intensity by selecting the M60, M60L, or M60LL. You can pick the module to best suit your needs. No one I know who has ordered a Malkoff has been disappointed. I run the M60 in my G2 with the standard plastic bezel without any issues. It is my favorite outdoor torch well worth the money.

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the wolf-eyes was very good, although I haven't tried a malkoff.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
My primary use is an EDC. I mainly use the light at work (during the daytime) to see into cavities I am cutting or looking for parts in our dimly lit warehouse. I currently use a Fenix L2D modded with a Seoul LED. I could use a little more light. During the night, the light is used for just for walking. I have a decent walk to my truck at 10:00pm from college, in which case I want the brightest light possible in case I need it. I use rechargeables as well, so runtime is not of the greatest concern.

Also, I'd like to keep it under $30.

bspofford

Enlightened

I couldn't agree more! If you are working closer than 2M, go with something with 20-30 lumens that runs on AA batteries with long runtimes.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FWIW... both of my DX Cree drop-ins have some ringy/Halo effects surrounding the center hot spot. Both poop out my RCR123 cells at ~50 minute mark and are overkill for use within 2meters.

I have no first hand experience with it, but you might want to research the Seoul emitter DX module. IIRC its a multi-mode unit, so that will allow you to extend your run times and only activate the higher lumens as needed.

I think you should also consider an 18650 host instead of a 6P. Since you don't need the added brightness of multiple CR123 cells, and you're looking for longer run times. A 18650, paired with a low-mode Seoul-Ubin drop in should get you more than enough light, a smooth beam and the added run times. If that still not smooth enough... perhaps a lens filter would be a worthy addition.

I'm very happy with the Nuwai sportsman extreme (wal-mart). It uses standard AA cells, runs for a couple hours between charges and completely leaves my DX modules in the dust as far as beam uniformity/quality are concerned. Its only about 60L, so any $10 drop in will smoke it in terms of Lumen output. But I find it perfect for close range use, and its color tint is VERY easy on the eyes.

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
If you haven't gotten the 6P yet, you might want to consider getting the 6PLED instead. It would cost you $25 more but you probably wouldn't have to buy a drop in. You'd have a high quality, 80 lumen light with a 12 hour burn time.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
try a SSC module instead of CREE, the CREE beam is really ringy if you have a smooth reflector and still won't be free of rings with a OP reflector. meanwhile the SSC will be much nicer in terms of beams.

Force Attuned

Enlightened
For the record...has anyone had heat problems with the Malkoff M60's in the G2 or G2Z's??

I have a M60 and a M60L on the way and I haven't decided yet which one's going in the 6P or G2Z. If heat is going to be an issue I'll have the M60 in the 6P even though I love the G2Z to death.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Wade will probably pop in here soon but I'll tell you what he told me when I asked that exact question . . .

He uses that setup but says it will get hot quickly. He will not use it continuously for more than 10 or 15 minutes but claims it gets fairly hot in just FIVE minutes.

You will probably have this same issue with any high current (1 amp or so) drop in. This is exacly why I went with the DX 6090. Myself and others measured roughly 550ma current draw (some people have reported higher but not near a full amp). A quick smear of solder around the lowest edge and it works great (there are minor contact issues). I have not left mine on continuously yet but in the small amount of time I've had them, I have not noticed much more heat than the stock incan puts out.

IMO, the 6090 is the best bet for a cheap drop-in for the G2. If you don't mind spending the bucks, the Malkoff M60L or LL will work even better in a G2.

Force Attuned

Enlightened
Wade will probably pop in here soon but I'll tell you what he told me when I asked that exact question . . .

He uses that setup but says it will get hot quickly. He will not use it continuously for more than 10 or 15 minutes but claims it gets fairly hot in just FIVE minutes.

You will probably have this same issue with any high current (1 amp or so) drop in. This is exacly why I went with the DX 6090. Myself and others measured roughly 550ma current draw (some people have reported higher but not near a full amp). A quick smear of solder around the lowest edge and it works great (there are minor contact issues). I have not left mine on continuously yet but in the small amount of time I've had them, I have not noticed much more heat than the stock incan puts out.

IMO, the 6090 is the best bet for a cheap drop-in for the G2. If you don't mind spending the bucks, the Malkoff M60L or LL will work even better in a G2.

Roger that, I'll put the M60L in the G2Z. I'm about to buy a C2 as well, think I'll out the M60 in that.