Fenix P3D-CE Q5 barrel problem

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I finally decided on the P3D-CE Q5. It's a good $65 or so. I was also planning on buying the P2D body tube so I could go lightweight when I need to. However, if you check on the link, it says that the body tube doesn't fit! All this time researching and it doesn't even fit?? I'm pretty upset now. I'm definitely not going to spend $60 twice to get both the 1-cell version and the 2-cell version. I just want to buy either/or, and buy the extension tube. Where can I find one that will fit with both the tailcap and the head?

Textured or smooth? Textured! I found many good threads on that!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol.

The P3D head has a buck circuit, so it takes a high voltage and low current and decreases it to a lower voltage and higher current, suitable for the LED.

The P2D and P1D heads have boost circuits, so they take a low voltage and high current and change it to a higher voltage and lower current suitable for the LED.

Running a P2D head on a P3D battery tube results in burnt out/severely overdriven LED, which probably goes poof soon as the voltage is not bucked by the regulator, which is a boost regulator.

Running a P2D body on a P3D head results in very low/no output as the voltage does not get boosted by the buck regulator.

Sorry, but you're buying twice. Alternately you could get a P2D and then an L2D extension tube for a 2 cell option.

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
okay, thank you. I've started looking at cheap single cell lights :(

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P2D body tube fits on the P3D head. However, the P3D has a buck circuit and won't work with one battery. The best you'll get is a low low from one 3.7 volt RCR123A cell. You can get the P2D, L1D, or L2D which work with the same head. You can get the Fenix power pack for about $70 which gives the L1D and P2D bodies with one head. Sorry, but you can't really use the P2D body and P3D head very well. There is a size difference between the P2D and P3D, but the weight difference is only one ounce. The P3D has a higher turbo and a lower low. You still have a great light.