Jetbeam Jet-1 MK IBS - my impression.

slowmail

Newly Enlightened
Received my Jetbeam Jet-1 MK IBS about a week ago from Britelumens. The following is my impression on it.

The box came in a padded envelope. I was originally just expecting to receive the light itself, maybe in a simple box. Instead, I found a rather nice presentation box. In it was the light, holster, 2 spare o-rings, spare tail button cap (black), lanyard and simple user manual.

Oddly enough, the first thing I examined was the lanyard. It had a cord lock and a sliding metal 'ring' that I noticed was poorly finished on the inside. As such, it would catch on and rip at the cord. I'll probably try cut it off at some point if I decide to use it.

Didn't think much of the holster. Again, another item I probably wouldn't use. Found myself wondering "how much did these accessories cost?" - personally, I could have done without the lanyard and holster; the unit *might* have cost $0.50 to $2 less... but I guess there are (business?) decisions to include them. Would make a nice gift I guess.

The spares are nice. Do appreciate them. Noticed there were only 2 o-rings in the box, but the user manual showed 4. *shrug*

As I unscrewed the tailcap, I found it somewhat 'gritty' with (what I think is) bits of aluminum. Cleaned it up, and did the same for the 'head' of the light. I don't have any lube handy, so I'm still finding it a little 'rough'.

Dropped in a 2600maH NiMH battery - found it slightly difficult to screw the tailcap back in, having to ensure the cap was perfectly level before turning. Maybe it'd be easier when I've lubed the o-rings; or with practice. But right now it'll take me a while longer to change a battery in the dark.

This is my first 'programmable' light. Played with the interface for a while, and found it rather easy to work with. Personally, I can't see any visual difference from 50%-100%. Find myself wondering how much more runtime I'll get at 50% over 100% output. The other thing I noticed is, which I'll have to get used to, if the battery is low (and the light is dim), turning it off mean you'll be left in the dark, since the light won't switch back on...

The light itself is well built, bright and very nicely finished. It's nice, and I like it, *except* for the tail switch... with just one hand, I can't activate with my thumb, and it's quite awkard with my index finger. It certainly won't activate accidentally in my pocket; twisting the head a bit would ensure it never does so in my pack. I'd like to swap my tail cap cover to black (it came with yellow installed); but there weren't any instructions... =(

This isn't going to be an EDC item for me (I'm still trying to decide between a Fenix E01 or L0D for that), but I'll be keeping it around as a spare/backup light.

What I would really like is a 2 AA tube for it. =)

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi slowmail, and :welcome:

There is little difference between 50% and 100% on NiMH, because the pre-set flashes are unfortunately based on 14500 output. I've posted the ramping sequence and runtimes on various batteries in my IBS review thread.

I agree with you that the switch is a bit stiff and awkward to hit, although I am able to do so with my thumb one-handed. Unfortunately, all the clicky Jetbeams in my possession have been like this.

And good question on 2AA tube ... unfortunately, I don't have one, so I can't test this. But the thread pattern is definitely different from the MKII X, so I doubt any of the older tubes would work. I think someone asked this in JB's sales thread, so hopefully they will confirm one way or the other.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the construction of the tailcap parts? Are they still using a cheap plastic retaining ring to hold the parts together inside the tailcap?

Albinoni

Banned
Hi from Australia SlowMail, what is it about the rear clickie you dont like eg is it too stiff to press or what is it/

I've found out that some new torches are like that but once they wear in than it gets better.

I'm also looking into getting a JB for myself oneday as I really like them alot,

slowmail

Newly Enlightened
\what is it about the rear clickie you dont like eg is it too stiff to press or what is it/

It's stiff and a little 'deep'; When I'm holding the light in an 'overhand grip', my thumb just isn't articulated correctly to activate it.

BriteLumens does ship to Australia, might like to check them out (link on my first post).

Albinoni

Banned
It's stiff and a little 'deep'; When I'm holding the light in an 'overhand grip', my thumb just isn't articulated correctly to activate it.

BriteLumens does ship to Australia, might like to check them out (link on my first post).

Thanks for that. Mind if I asked what you paid in Singapore Dollars ? I luve in Perth, so hopefully shipping wont take too long, though I'm not really sure which model I'd take, something I need to decide on.

Thank you.