First impressions of the Fenix TK-10

bstar22

Newly Enlightened
I have been a flashlight junkie for a while. I have used CPF for research purposes and I find your opinions both insightful and accurate. Until now, I have not felt compelled to offer my own opinion.

I began purchasing premium, read CR123, lights, in the incandescent era beginning with the Surfire brand; G2 and E2D. Then came the Mag led conversions and the 1&2 Watt premium leds. The Surefire E2D has been relegated to Midnight gas station operations due to the fact that it costs a lot to operate and will not accept RCR123's without blowing a $17 bulb. The G2 led goes with me everywhere. The lack of a pocket clip on the G2 led hurts my heart.

That being said, I ordered the Fenix TK-10. The fit and finish is somewhere between the Surefire knock-off's and the Surefire, closer to Surefire with a hint of China.

This is not a pocket light and it will hurt if you fall on it while it is in your pocket. The pocket clip is worthless and looks and feels like an afterthought. The light is too big for this clip and the allen wrench provided is the wrong size. The tactical cigar grip seems like another afterthought; though preferable to some, it wholly and completely disables the already worthless clip.

The light in general mode is as powerful as most incandescents of yesteryear and the beam is nice. Turbo mode is fantastic. If the E2D had a 225 lumen conversion head that did not cost as much as the light itself, it would be perfect. Then again, the TK-10 is not an E2D or a pocket light for that matter. It is not as unwieldy as a Mag in that it will slip into your Carharts, however, it is both unsightly and uncomfortable in the front pocket.

For the money, $79, this light is a value. The TK-10 is bright as can be and has great runtime with the RCR123's. I am not "Tactical Tom" so, the holster will get no love outside of the woods. Around my big yard, it puts all of my other "small" lights to shame. It is built like a tank and carrys like one. Unless you are in a biz that requires a light as a tool of the trade, do not carry the holster.

I have to thank my pal Aaron for introducing me to this light. He was leading the "Lumen War" but we are all square now. He may have ordered his first, but I think I got mine the same day. I am sure I will catch hell for copying him.

DOES ANYONE HERE WIND UP IN LUMEN WARS FROM TIME TO TIME?

P.S. Those rechargeable CR123's on Ebay are fantastic but only for LED lights, they ruin all incandescents! I will add the four batteries the TK-10 came with to my emergency supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Final Fenix TK-10 Review and the "Lumen War"

While the TK10 is an improvement over the T1, I'd also like to see a better clip. I have taken some long walks around town in the evening (after dark) pushing my kids in their stroller and I have carried the TK10 in it's holster, or I have had it strapped to the stroller as a headlight when going down a dark path. :) I also had my DBS V2 clipped in my front left pocket, which is a much larger light than the TK10, so if the TK10 had an improved clip it could easily be a pocket light for some. YMMV. :)

Also, welcome to CPF!:welcome:

jezzyp

Enlightened

Welcome to CPF - hang on to your wallet.

Once you get over out gunning your mates, you will next realize that a low power long running light is just as useful.
Then you will buy another light or three, decent battery charger, decent batteries, a nice case - Like I said welcome to CPF and hang on to your wallet!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been a flashlight junkie for a while. I have used CPF for research purposes and I find your opinions both insightful and accurate. Until now, I have not felt compelled to offer my own opinion.

I began purchasing premium, read CR123, lights, in the incandescent era beginning with the Surfire brand; G2 and E2D. Then came the Mag led conversions and the 1&2 Watt premium leds. The Surefire E2D has been relegated to Midnight gas station operations due to the fact that it costs a lot to operate and will not accept RCR123's without blowing a $17 bulb. The G2 led goes with me everywhere. The lack of a pocket clip on the G2 led hurts my heart.

That being said, I ordered the Fenix TK-10. The fit and finish is somewhere between the Surefire knock-off's and the Surefire, closer to Surefire with a hint of China.

This is not a pocket light and it will hurt if you fall on it while it is in your pocket. The pocket clip is worthless and looks and feels like an afterthought. The light is too big for this clip and the allen wrench provided is the wrong size. The tactical cigar grip seems like another afterthought; though preferable to some, it wholly and completely disables the already worthless clip.

The light in general mode is as powerful as most incandescents of yesteryear and the beam is nice. Turbo mode is fantastic. If the E2D had a 225 lumen conversion head that did not cost as much as the light itself, it would be perfect. Then again, the TK-10 is not an E2D or a pocket light for that matter. It is not as unwieldy as a Mag in that it will slip into your Carharts, however, it is both unsightly and uncomfortable in the front pocket.

For the money, $79, this light is a value. The TK-10 is bright as can be and has great runtime with the RCR123's. I am not "Tactical Tom" so, the holster will get no love outside of the woods. Around my big yard, it puts all of my other "small" lights to shame. It is built like a tank and carrys like one. Unless you are in a biz that requires a light as a tool of the trade, do not carry the holster.

I have to thank my pal Aaron for introducing me to this light. He was leading the "Lumen War" but we are all square now. He may have ordered his first, but I think I got mine the same day. I am sure I will catch hell for copying him.

DOES ANYONE HERE WIND UP IN LUMEN WARS FROM TIME TO TIME?

P.S. Those rechargeable CR123's on Ebay are fantastic but only for LED lights, they ruin all incandescents! I will add the four batteries the TK-10 came with to my emergency supplies.

Check LumensFactory bulbs for your E2D, there are a few rechargeable options!

Brigadier

Enlightened

The lack of a pocket clip on the G2 led hurts my heart.

Here is my G2 with a new style Novatac pocket clip and a 5/8" o-ring:

standard.jpg

and a WE P60/P90 drop in:

standard.jpg

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened

that looks sharp with a pocket clip..thanks for the photo.

DM51

Flashaholic
bstar22, welcome to CPF. Is it possible that we have seen you before?

I have changed the title of your thread, as I considered the original title unnecessarily grandiose and provocative.

Last edited:

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
I havent tried the allen keys cos I've never used a pocket clip so I never try them out 'cos I'm just not used to it but I did try the holster and I didnt think it was too bad. Maybe my expectations are really low but then the TK10 was only my 3rd "real" torch after the P3D and the P2D.

Nice light though eh :D

bstar22

Newly Enlightened
I may have been here before. I did not mean any offense with my thread title. Thank you for all of the responses.

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
I got my TK10 literally 20 minutes ago in the mail and I LOVE IT. I am so excited to try it tonight.

I am curious though, how would I change the black tail button to the orange one?

Monocrom

Flashaholic

While the TK10 is an improvement over the T1, I'd also like to see a better clip....

I have to agree with you Wade. The clip seems like an after-thought. Despite being short, slim, low-profile, and out of the way; it actually gets in the way of a good grip. (At least in my hand; with the grip-ring replaced with the copper band).

I was surprised by that.