Poor Man's M4?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Poor Man\'s M4?

Need advice. I want to put the KT2 Turbo Head on a 9P. Then I want to put an A19 on the tail and an MN60 and or M61 in the Turbo Head. Will the M60 and MN61 fit in the KT2 Turbo Head? If they do fit, is there any problem with focus and or heat? The KT4 has fins on the back that look like they are for cooling. Has anyone done this before? I would appreciate any advice you all could give.
Oldgrandpajack

<font color="red"> I've edited your post:
The KT3 TurboHead is specifically and only for the 9AN.
The KT3 TurboHead will not fit on your 9P.
The KT3 TurboHead will only accept the N3 Lamp Assembly.
-Size15s </font>

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
Re: Poor Man\'s M4?

I'll sell you an M4 shipped to your door for $225.00. N.I.B.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Thanks, but I need the POOR MAN'S M4. Maybe NEED isn't really the case. I WANT to do this. I actually have an M3 and the KT4 Turbo Head Kit. It would look strange, but I could add an A19 plus the MN60 or MN61 to the M3T and there you have it. Need a HA A19. I really would like to know if the MN60 and MN61 work properly in the KT2 Turbo Head. I have 5 9P's and need to find uses for them. One has the KL3 LED Bezel and another has the M2 bezel Also thinking of putting an R30 and two rechargeable AA batteries in one for a camp flashlight. Another combination is the 9P with 2 A14's, KL3 LED bezel and 4 rechargable AA's.

Need to find non-conductive plastic tubing with an outside diameter of 123's and an inside diameter appropriate for the AA's.

AS You can see, I've been bit by the bug! If the CDC finds out about this bug we'll all be quarinteened!

Oldgrandpajack

Shark

Enlightened

I have done the very thing you are talking about I used the MN60 bulb it drops right in it is a little longer than the original bulb and the beam is not as tight as with the original. Lots of lumens and good throw as far as heat with the MN60 I dont think there would be much of a problem I only run mine about 5 Mins at a time and have no problem the turbo head has lots of mass to absorb and dissipate the heat so I doubt it will be an issue.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jack,

lemlux has done exactly that - using a 6/9P with 2 A14 extensions and fitting 4 4/5A´s and 4 A´s in there to drive P60 and P61 bulbs - using variations of A type cells at the exact 123 diameter might be also a solution for you instead of using measures to prevent rattle with AA type cells.

Using a P60 both Sanyo A and Panasonic 4/5A´s did well for lemlux whereas the Panasonic 4/5 A´s did damage P61´s after some runs - the Sanyo A´s did fine with the P61s too.

If you have too much 9Ps you should be able to rid of them in the B/S/T forum.

Klaus

Francois1

Newly Enlightened

Hello to all, I'm new here, and
newly interested in high-end flashlights.
I'm interested in the M4 because it appears to be a "cheap"
alternative to the M6 at 250 Lumens. Pyramus, have you tested the M4 at 225 versus the M6 at 250 ? I've seen
some M6 beamshots, but no direct comparisons btw both.

François.

K-T

*Moderator*

Hi François, welcome to CPF.

I haven't tried the M4 yet but these who can compare them to the M6 have said that the M6 seems to produce whiter light for longer time.

Klaus.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

As I type this I am looking at my "poor man's M4" which is probably the smallest, lightest and longest burning version of this "mod". It consists of D3 + A19 + SRTH(2.5") + MN60.

I have found that the SRTH produces a more focused beam than the KT2, especially when used in 3x123 configuration with the N2 (bulb), which for my purposes has the best combination of beam quality and throw in a remarkably compact form.

The most perfect turbo beam I've experienced is the N1 in a T1/T2 3" turbohead. Admirable though it is, some of us find it a bit lacking in brightness and throw.

On the subject of the M6, I know that I'm not alone when I say that your first experience with this light using HOLA will be nothing short of revelatory. Everything we have learned about the proportional relationship between size and power is turned on its head when the M6's tailbutton is pushed.

Brightnorm

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

You've got me. I've seen it mentioned before. What is the SRTH? Is it still available?
Oldgrandpajack

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is the "Steve Ryan Turbo Head" it is smaller and lighter with tighter beam than the KT1 and two which are the same. On the down side it has a lexan lens which will scratch it also dose not same as tough as the others but I like it very much.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Like the looks of the SRTH. Think I should stay with the KT2 though. I'll be using the MN60 & MN61 Lamp Assemblies with 4 123's and think the heat might melt the lexan lense of the SRTH. Let me know if I worry to much!
Oldgrandpajack

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the lexan melts you can always "call Surefire to explore your options" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is your definition of 'melt'? I mean a 9PT will bubble the lens but it won't turn into a messy goo. Heck, my Vector spotlights bubble. But no one demands a pyrex solution.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

I guess I'm real conservative. I have 5 9P's, three still sealed in their Surefire boxes. The only one I'm using with an incadescent bulb has the M2 (black with Pyrex) bezel on it. I don't worry so much about Lexan with the R30 or P60 light assemblies. Anything from the P61 and P90 on up I prefer Pyrex. Just won an auction for a MINT 3P on Ebay last night. I love the plain black 3P, 6P and 6Z. Don't like the newer antiroll bezels. I now own ten Surefires and parts for four more (including new bodies). THE BUG BIT ME HARD!!!

Size15's

Flashaholic

I should point out that the SRTH is only about 1mm shorter than the KT TurboHead. The KT has more mass of Aluminium and a Pyrex Lens - both these help handle the heat of the brighter lamps.
The SRTH has a reflector finish designed for the N2 lamp (my understanding at least) where as the KT and Millennium TurboHeads have reflector finish designed for bulbs with longer/larger filaments.
This is the reason I have for the SRTH for have a slightly tigher focus compared to the KT and Millennium TurboHeads.

I have one or two TurboHeads and a few lamps. I find that in use, the 12PM/SRTH/KT/Millennium TurboHead don't produce significantly different beams.

I certainly agree that the SRTH is the best TurboHead for the N1/N2 Lamps.

Al

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Finally put together the Poor Man's M4. It didn't turn out to be a poor man's project after all. Even using used parts, it cost close to what the real thing goes for. I used a used KT1/HA, Old Style (round body) 9P, A19, MN60 and SW02. The SW02 is what killed the budget. It sure looks good though. Balances out the KT1/HA hanging off the other end. The output of this flashlight is awesome. I'm thinking of buying a MN61 next. This flashlight is one serious tool. Have to say, I'm very happy to have gotten the old round body 9P. I like the added strength and it should be able to handle the heat better. I have to thank this_is_nascar for the used parts. His Surefire Used Parts Store was invaluable.
oldgrandpajack

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations. Sounds like a real scorcher.

Wouldn't it be fun to have Nascar give us a tour of his "warehouse"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif