Coast LED Lenser flashlights

Marduke

Flashaholic
LED Lenser (Coast in the USA) is known for highly exaggerating their brightness and runtime claims. They also generally don't have a very high amount of quality in their products. That's why you generally don't hear a lot about them here on CPF.

Albinoni

Banned
LED Lenser (Coast in the USA) is known for highly exaggerating their brightness and runtime claims. They also generally don't have a very high amount of quality in their products. That's why you generally don't hear a lot about them here on CPF.

Whats your definition of quality ? I have a Led Lenser Hokus Focus 7438 and find it to be one of the best torches in my collection plus its throw is very good and its build quality is also very good and sturdy, mind you I've got my heart set on a new JetBeam next but I dont find anyything wrong at all with Led Lenser. I think LL is a light you love or hate.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Whats your definition of quality ? I have a Led Lenser Hokus Focus 7438 and find it to be one of the best torches in my collection plus its throw is very good and its build quality is also very good and sturdy, mind you I've got my heart set on a new JetBeam next but I dont find anyything wrong at all with Led Lenser. I think LL is a light you love or hate.

Most of their lights lack any sort of digital regulation, despite their "electronically controlled" advertising. Their anodizing is sub par, and their choice of aluminum alloy is also sub par. Many of their lights aren't even water proof.

No offense, but in general, LED Lenser in it's stock form is generally a "newbie" light. It looks great compared to grocery store plastic incans and MiniMags, but pales in comparison to even the cheapest lights available at places like DX.

Last edited:

neophyte340

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is a stainless steel AA Digitac, model LL7842, its plenty bright for my needs, though i wouldnt mine having a new jetstream, but besides that, I think it just looks great and super sleak, :naughty: i love stainless. I dont know what Led Lensers deal is though,, they do have some crazy runtimes advertised on some of their lights, their model 1012 claims 100 lumen for 600 hours...i dunno, , I have a 3AAAA model which i like and a few others, also,, one of my faves from them is their super super thin 7526 it has a "crystal reflector tube system" lol it only puts out lil light but its enough for it being so darned thin. i think anyway, you can get it for about 4 bucks i think if you do their online survey at their coast website.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned several LED Lenser lights going back a couple of years. I agree that the quality on earlier models was clearly and constantly lacking.i oncehad the occasion to speak with them about another earlier edition defective V2 and they cheerfully sent a replacement. What is most impressive is the fact that COAST has had their lights in retail stores way ahead of other, IMHO superior lights. I recently got a V2 6 chip 5 white / 1 green LED 3 AAA LED Lenser. It's pretty cool.:twothumbs

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
Their lights must have improved since Matt K of Battery Junction is bringing in some (not all) of their new stuff. Matt's been pretty good at picking lights to sell so far IMHO. We'll have to see.

lyrrag

Albinoni

Banned
I just wish they would make their lights waterproof like some of the others out there and this is one point where I'm disspaointed with them. I've got the Hokus Focus 7438 and I would of loved this to be waterproof like some of the cheaper lights out there. I think it might be water resistant/dust proof etc but not waterprooof, though I hardly ever take any of my lights under water even my minimag which is watwerproof. Who knows probably their new range is waterproof.

It shouldnt be too hard to make waterproof just add a rubber seal, unless it already has one.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatta ya mean, they ain't waterproof! :laughing: Have a look here... :naughty:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2274471&postcount=16

Since I posted this link, I'll add that what Marduke says is mostly true, BUT, I have a stock as well as a FlashCrazy modded 7438 that is da bomb! It has a beam like a mini search light! Despite its manufactured shortcomings, I LOVE IT! :twothumbs

generic808

Enlightened
I really don't like LED Lenser torches, but I do like their 42 lumen Revolution headlamp. I bought it at Costco for $20 and for the price, you can't go wrong. It's a very nice, floody jogging/dog walking headlamp. Mine comes with me on my nightly runs.

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
Hi Frank777,
I have the same flashlight that I wanted to give some new life to but haven't figured out how to get to the LED. How did you get the head off, if I can figure that out I will update mine with an SSC P4 as well.

Cheers
Mark

flashlite

Enlightened
Coast has made some improvements in quality lately. I still don't like the holes around heads of their lights. I guess it's a trademark or something.

My Costco has a 1 AA Coast light that looks similar to the light the OP mentioned but it's not focusable. Strange.

frank777

Enlightened
Hi Frank777,
I have the same flashlight that I wanted to give some new life to but haven't figured out how to get to the LED. How did you get the head off, if I can figure that out I will update mine with an SSC P4 as well.

Cheers
Mark

I used brute force.... two vice grips; one on the body of the flashlight, and the other on the head. If you are looking directly into the flashlight lens, with it turned off obviously, you will want to turn the head counterclockwise. I scratched mine up quite a bit in the process, so I had to sand the aluminum, and use touchup paint. But it works great now and is a good 50% brighter. I also put a piece of shrink wrap over the body so that it grips better. If you want a free piece of shrink wrap, I have lots of extra. E-mail me at [email protected] with your address, and I will throw a piece in the mail. Good luck!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded mine
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193318

I really like it,some are well made and others are not so good.Thier quality does vary.But I dont think its fair to knock all of them.
This is the thinnest AA light I have seen.Now with a seoul P4 and a 1000ma driver it keeps up with my nitecore defender in a bounce test!I really like the momentary switch too! Great even flood is a useful thing!

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
I needed to buy a light for a camping trip and didn't have time to research. I wanted a flood + spot beam so I choose the Coast LED Lenser LL7847 David 19 DigiTac II. It's not great compared to what I've researched online AFTER I bought it, but unlike the Fenix and Romisen lights I like so much, it was A) available in the store, B) has a focusing beam, C) is the perfect size.

The light advertises a 1W LED, but doesn't give me lumens. I guess around 50. It advertises 3.5 hours runtime but has been going much longer than that on the original battery! They have other versions that last 10 hours, but aren't as bright. I bought mine in Japan (made for Japan, not an import) so they might be a little different. Looks just like this though: http://www.quality-items-flashlight...iTac-II-Black-Luxeon--LED-flashlight-1AA.html

Let's see. The light (excluding the focusing head) is thinner than all the Fenix and other more expensive lights. The flood beam is really distinct. I like it. The spot is pretty tight but not as smooth and solid as the wide is. The finish is not great. Mine has some of the black coating wearing off already so I had to touch it up.

These lights are in packages that let you try them in the store. Plus they come with an extra battery. Maybe that's why they are so popular? I didn't find any Fenix lights in the store. They are only for enthusiasts. And, here's the pic. I got the black one. First thing I did was cut that stupid metal ring off the end and put a regular handstrap on it!

114320ug1.jpg

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought both the headlamp and the 1AA light.

So far I've used the 1AA a lot in places where I don't want to take my L2D Q5 (2AA) light, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the Coast LED Lenser.

My L2D Q5 is awesome, but the cheap 1AA Coast LED Lenser isn't too shabby so far.

e2x2e

Enlightened
I think they're pretty good for the average consumer. We are obviously very critical because we've been exposed to really high quality lights-the average dude looking for a flashlight to take camping thinks it is then neatest thing ever.

PS: I have a Coast V2, which I got several years ago. I loved that light, it was the brightest thing I had. Even after being exposed to all the great lights on CPF, I still like the V2. The knurling is really good, the switch is good. The finish is OK--not terrible. Its a good light to lend out and play around with if you don't feel like running through CR123s.

Pistolero

Enlightened
I have a Coast light that is the old version of the V2 dual-color light. (The one with the big head)
It's my most used light. I can use the red for low-light trips to the bathroom or to check on my kid. The White LED is actually really bright and I've used it around the house and back-porch area. The only trick is locating the right button to use in the dark.

I think Coast/LED Lenser are probably the best MAINSTREAM light company for the average user. Energizer is a close second. As much as I love the Mag form factor, there's no in-between for the mini-mag and the fullsize mag. And their LED offerings are weaksauce.

I just wish they weren't so damn pricey.