Trouble deciding..JetBeam CLE, Proton Pro, or...???

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
In light of the new(new to me at least as i've been off the forum for a while)wave of CREE lights I find myself wanting an EDC(pocket/backpack) CREE light. After looking at most all of the offerings right now I'm down to the following:

1)JetBeam CLE- I love 1xAA powered lights and this one has the runtime that suits me as opposed to the other power hungry lights out there

2)LRI Proton Pro- I am actually VERY close to buying this one because of the decent runtime, nice pocket clip, GITD bezel, and the red LED. I think the only thing that bothers me slightly about it is that it apparently starts off in HIGH mode :( and also the lux readings that i've seen so far only show somewhere in the mid-600 range.

3) JetBeam JetII MKIII?(is that right- JetBeams naming is confusing) the one that's 1x123 powered and has the turbo head. I really prefer AA powered but this one just looks so nice. My only beef...... I CAN'T FIND A SINGLE REVIEW OR LUX READING ON THIS LIGHT?!?!? HELP! :)

Well there you have it....... any additional input is appreciated. did i miss any PRO's and CON's?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are sticking to AA lights - then here are a couple more to consider:
Fenix L1D is a popular AA light and has good all around performance. Then there is the new Wolf Eyes Angel light that is supposed to be comming out. Wolf Eyes lights are generally extremely well built and rugged. This one should be interesting.

I like the Photon of the ones you mentioned but know what you mean about the high mode starting first.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention the Nightcore (which I have) since I think they are hard to get at present. It is a really nice light and built very well. It is a very nice performer.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
well like i mentioned i have gone through and seen most of the 1xAA lights offered right now although i admit i hadn't given much attention to the Nitecore Defender. i like it but sorry, too $$$$.

I like Fenix lights but i really do not care for the straight cylinder/tube look. I really, really like the turbo type heads or even something like that of the Jet Pro, but forget that light with it's horrible MEDIUM power setting runtime. the NDI while not having a 'turbo' head still has some shape to it that is OK by me.

i did finally find reviews on the Jet-II and it appears that the version1 would be better for me as the version2 is overpowered in highmode. so i suppose am still considering either the Jet-II v1.0 or the Jet-II I.B.S. under the understanding that i could set what the maximum brightness is right?

i am still considering the JetBeam CLE and the Proton Pro but have pushed the Proton Pro back on my list due to it having to come on at High white. i'm hoping perhaps LRI will rethink this and release a revised version.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still love my JetBeam C-LE v2. I love how it jumps from low to high. I usually have it set to come on in low mode. Wish the low was maybe half the output for 50 hrs runtime, but it's still very functional for non night-adjusted eyes.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
hold off the money, get abit more,and get a NDI, its worth it....it is currently my most used light.

Crenshaw

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
I have the C-LEv2 and I like it, and it stays in my laptop bag. It has useful features and the memory setting works well. The fact that it runs well on NiHi's (I use Eneloops) is great; however, the NDI is what I EDC. If you think you'd want a lowish-low, then the NiteCore is a great one to pick up.

paulr

Flashaholic
NDI is too faux-tactical for my tastes. I'd go for the Proton Pro based on reviews I've seen. I also like the Peak Pacific with the AA pocket body which is just butt-simple (twist on, twist off). Multiple levels and modes are overrated IMO, especially for relatively long running lights which it sounds like you want.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10688

Jetbeam CL-E killer. As bright on medium as the CL-E on high and runs as long on medium as the JB does on high. Low isn't as low as I'd like, but it has a nice, useful floody beam. Only HAII, but it's a nice light.

I have several AA lights to compare it to, CL-E's, JB MKII, MKIIR, Rexlight 2.1 0002, Olight T15, bunch of DX lights, etc. The MTE's a keeper.

I EDC the T15 and the Rexlight, though. The MTE sits on my nightstand.

Marduke

Flashaholic
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10688

Jetbeam CL-E killer. As bright on medium as the CL-E on high and runs as long on medium as the JB does on high. Low isn't as low as I'd like, but it has a nice, useful floody beam. Only HAII, but it's a nice light.

I have several AA lights to compare it to, CL-E's, JB MKII, MKIIR, Rexlight 2.1 0002, Olight T15, bunch of DX lights, etc. The MTE's a keeper.

I EDC the T15 and the Rexlight, though. The MTE sits on my nightstand.

Just a side note, there is no such thing as HA-II

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
OK, for those being picky, it appears to be Type II aluminum anodization. Term used on Flashlight Reviews, if you wish to give us the chemical formula, we shall all be edified.

Edit:
The most widely used anodizing specification, MIL-A-8625, defines three types of aluminium anodization. Type I is Chromic Acid Anodization, Type II is Sulfuric Acid Anodization and Type III is sulfuric acid hardcoat anodization. Other anodizing specifications include MIL-A-63576, AMS 2469, AMS 2470, AMS 2471, AMS 2472, AMS 2482, ASTM B580, ASTM D3933, ISO 10074 and BS 5599. AMS 2468 is obsolete. None of these specifications define a detailed process or chemistry, but rather a set of tests and quality assurance measures which the anodized product must meet. BS 1615 provides guidance in the selection of alloys for anodizing. For British defence work, a detailed chromic and sulfuric anodizing processes are described by DEF STAN 03-24/3 and DEF STAN 03-25/3 respectively.

Sulfuric acid is the most widely used solution to produce anodized coating. Coatings of moderate thickness 1.8 μm to 25 μm (0.00007" to 0.001")[7] are known as Type II, as named by MIL-A-8625, while coatings thicker than 25 μm (0.001") are known as Type III, hardcoat, or engineered anodizing. Very thin coatings similar to those produced by chromic anodizing are known as Type IIB. Thick coatings require more process control,[5] and are produced in a refrigerated tank near the freezing point of water with higher voltages than the thinner coatings. Hard anodizing can be made between 25 and 150 μm (0.001" to 0.006") thick. Anodizing thickness increases wear resistance, corrosion resistance, ability to retain lubricants, and electrical and thermal insulation. Standards for thin sulfuric anodizing are given by MIL-A-8625 Types II and IIB, AMS 2471 (undyed), and AMS 2472 (dyed). Standards for thick sulfuric anodizing are given by MIL-A-8625 Type III, AMS 2469, BS 5599, BS EN 2536 and the obsolete AMS 2468 and DEF STAN 03-26/1.
It would appear that there is no such thing as HA-III either. The term is used apparently improperly often here on candlepower forums by manufacturers and dealers. Perhaps Marduke would like to correct all improper usages of that term also? It would only be fair, but it would make him a busy man.

Last edited:

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
well...........order placed for JetBeam C-Le through HKEquipment on ebay. couldn't resist it at half the price of the NDI. looks like my C-Le from hkequipment comes with the GITD tailcap too. that's cool.

jeez, on the list for the Fenix E01, just got my Zebralight H50 a couple of weeks ago, and now i have a JetBeam c-le on the way............. it's good to be back(cpf.com), though my wallet may suffer.

Marduke

Flashaholic
OK, for those being picky, it appears to be Type II aluminum anodization. Term used on Flashlight Reviews, if you wish to give us the chemical formula, we shall all be edified.

Edit:
It would appear that there is no such thing as HA-III either. The term is used apparently improperly often here on candlepower forums by manufacturers and dealers. Perhaps Marduke would like to correct all improper usages of that term also? It would only be fair, but it would make him a busy man.

"hardcoat anodization Type III " is generally abbreviated as Type-III or HA-III, both of which are correct abbreviations.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I was wondering why Nitecore Defender was'nt on your list until you stated the cost(a sad reminder why I don't posess one now)...I've heard great things about the Jetbeam.As you can see by some other recent threads,you get what you pay for(on the cheaper lights,bad threading,poor machineing,flickering).The Nitecore is definately on my list,just got to span out the buying spree a little:sssh:.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
are known as Type III, hardcoat, or engineered anodizing.
Marduke, I respectfully disagree. It is either hardcoat or Type III anodization. To use both is a double description. An addition for thickness with a mil-spec designation may be added. Otherwise, you're merely saying that I have a hard hard flashlight, or a black black one, etc. Since Type III aluminum anodization = hardcoat = engineered anodizing, both terms are not necessary and to use both is grammatically if not factually incorrect. I don't know whom you believe "approved" the term HAIII, but it also is wrong. I believe that someone "approved" the term HAII, improperly perhaps, which is where I picked it up, but again, only the inordinately picky would protest. And they would do so more politely.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Marduke, I respectfully disagree. It is either hardcoat or Type III anodization. To use both is a double description. An addition for thickness with a mil-spec designation may be added. Otherwise, you're merely saying that I have a hard hard flashlight, or a black black one, etc. Since Type III aluminum anodization = hardcoat = engineered anodizing, both terms are not necessary and to use both is grammatically if not factually incorrect. I don't know whom you believe "approved" the term HAIII, but it also is wrong. I believe that someone "approved" the term HAII, improperly perhaps, which is where I picked it up, but again, only the inordinately picky would protest. And they would do so more politely.

There is a distinct difference between what you say and how you say it. "HA-III" may be grammatically dubious, but a "double description" still technically correctly describes the finish in question as "Hard anodized, Type-III". "HA-II" is technically incorrect, which is why I pointed it out as a common mistake.

Now how about we stop picking apart the grammar of posts (not very polite btw :poke: ) and get back to discussing the OP's lights??