Does anyone else have this problem with a mag?

zmoz

Enlightened
Anybody else have a problem with the threads on your mag light getting worn out and torn up rather fast? Mine's only a few months old and it's already quite worn down on the top and the bottom...

Empath

Flashaholic
It probably doesn't help now, but you need to keep those things lubricated. Another precaution is to turn the cap or head counterclockwise at the start until you feel it seat. Then thread it on.

Bill.H

Enlightened
Silicone grease is very good, but Vaseline* is cheap and easy to get and works fine too. I have a Mag 3D that's almost 30 and still going good. I might even get an EverLed for it.

*Mag O-rings are not rubber, don't worry about rotting the rings.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Radio Shack Lube Gel is an excellent lubricant for threads and o-rings. I have read many posts recommending it and I must say it has worked fine for me. It is silicone with teflon, I believe.

Pat

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
WD40 tends to destroy most O-rings, whether rubber or synthetic, if i'm not wrong....best to stick to silicone grease or vaseline /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Radio Shack Lube Gel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The tailcap on one of my many MagChargers ended up having the same problem. Just a side note: I live rather close to Ontario (CA) where MagInstrument is located - I walked in to their service area one day and turned in two dead NiCads for an exchange. I mentioned the threading problem and they let me try a new tailcap. Low and belhold, it worked out great. Even though the threads on the body were somewhat de-threaded, the new tailcap made for quite a nice fit. No more problems.

Hmmm... now that I think about it - they didn't even charge me for that new tailcap. I guess a Cheers 'N' Jeers would be appropriate - but that was about 8 years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Ex--

WD40 is just a bit better than diesel oil as a lubricant. I brush on the Dollar Store version as a quickshot cutting fluid on my lathe and drill press (it smells better than the $5.00 a can stuff). Also good for removing that pesky stick-um goop from labels on bottles.