XPOnlinescanner-malicious software warning

jtr1962

Flashaholic
A few times when I was on photobucket I was redirected to a site called XPOnlinescanner [dot] com. This is NOT a legitimate site. They do a fake scan of your PC showing that you have several viruses, and then offer to install software to remove them. If this happens to you, immediately close your browser. Fortunately, I saw this as a malicious site right away. However, if you were unfortunate enough to install anything, here is how to get rid of it. I recommend using the manual method rather than the automatic one.

mechBgon

Enlightened
I suspect this is one more case of malvertising. recent info on malvertising at Photobucket.com Malvertising looks like normal ad banners, but they're specially rigged to exploit vulnerabilities in, say, Flash Player, Adobe Reader, QuickTime, and other browser add-ons.

So... anyone with a version (or two) of Flash Player installed should check to ensure they've got the latest version(s). Update if needed. Linux and Mac users, this means you as well :tinfoil: If you have a Windows system with alternate browsers (FireFox, Opera, etc), update both the Internet Explorer instance of Flash and the other browser's instance of Flash.

Ditto for Adobe Reader, aka Acrobat Reader: update here

Ditto for QuickTime Player / iTunes: update here (or uninstall it if you have no actual need for it)

Ditto for Sun Java: get Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6 (or uninstall all instances of Java / JRE if you have no actual need for Java)

To easily check Windows systems for vulnerable versions of these programs and others (IM, email, browsers, etc), try the Secunia Personal Software Inspector beta, which is free for home users :candle: Scanning every week or two would be a good idea IMHO. Remember that the program only identifies known vulnerabilities; if you want protection from unknown vulnerabilities, consider using a non-Administrator user account and possibly adding a Software Restriction Policy.

psi_scan.PNG

mech's 64-bit Vista riggie gets a clean scan... for now.

Last edited:

Latest posts