Usefulness of Medum on the Dereelight 3SD module?

Fird

Enlightened
My first high-output light was a 2 mode, so I got used to using low and high. I've had a Dereelight CL1H for several weeks now, and I still have not found a time when "medium" was useful. I find I'm either working up close or using it to blast things at a distance, low or high.
My question of the day is: What are people using that middle mode for on either the CL1H or the DBS?

**THOU SHALT NOT MENTION OTHER BRANDS IN THIS THREAD**

^this is to avoid another Brand Y vs Brand X debate like 65% of the threads on here, I honestly don't care what your []light's modes are used for. :twothumbs

mikes1

Enlightened
I use Medum (CL1H OP) when walking to the pub the lane is unlit medum is bright enough so I can see where I am going and of course saves power

Mike

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3SD drop in module in a 6P. For me, it's the low I don't use much (other lights for that purpose).

Of course, the high is terrific, but I use medium a good deal on my nightly dog walks. If we're out away from the houses, high is great. But if we're walking down the street, medium is a nice "respectful" amount of light---high might alarm my good neighbors! :eek:

Yapo

Enlightened
well i usually have the memory saved to low since i use the SMO reflector it still throws like crazy...for the high mode i actually havent found a real use for it apart from lighting up trees in my neighbours backyards a few houses down...and as for medium, i find the output is still very good and very useful and its nice to know that it should be able to last a few hours as well...

does anyone have a runtime on the modes? it has been mentioned that the runtime from light-review.com of the 2SD may be from a defective unit...but if the real runtime of everyones 3SD is anywhere close to the CL1H 2.0 5 Mode it should be pretty impressive! if 15hrs on 20% low is possible then the 5% low should easily be able to do 30+ hrs

Zenster

Enlightened
I ordered my DBS with the 3SD module but Alan accidently sent it with a 2SD by mistake. Being as it came from across the world, I decided to just let it go and live with the 2SD.

Well, I miss having the 3SD a lot. My CL1H has a 3SD in it and I find that I use the medium setting the most. It's plenty bright but also adds lots of runtime.

With the DBS, I use it mostly outside so high is what I typically use.
If I had my druthers, the 2SD module would come with a high/medium setting rather than it's high/low setting.
I can't wait until the R5 modules become available so I can finally get a 3SD for the DBS.

Bigsy

Enlightened
I use medium when I don't need high and I also don't want the PWM flicker of low to make me puke.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I use medium when I don't need high and I also don't want the PWM flicker of low to make me puke.
:crackup:Funny comment and, yet, so true. While the pwm doesn't make me puke, it does annoy the heck out of me when it's pitch black and I have the light on low... more so on the Low but I also notice it on the Medium setting.

I find I mainly use the High and Medium: I use the High when I have the light attached to my helmet when I'm doing my night rides, Medium is used to extend runtimes.

Fird

Enlightened
hmmm, that's why I love my Q4, it was produced with that tell-tale whine that lets me know it's operating at 3khz or better, no visible PWM (and I've tried fans and waving it around.. no flicker).

Thanks for all the responses!

I used my CL1H on High last night to look for a lost wallet for a friend.. it was rather satisfying to be able to light up 40-50 yards of a football field at a time! I did wish for an HID and 2-3k lumens, but ~150 or whatever that module puts out was sufficient.

Fird

Latest posts