East Coast Premium Light Distributor?

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of starting a site that would offer premium flashlights on the east coast. I feel that I could offer lower costs for shipping on the East coast as well as quicker delivery. It has been my experience that to get quality lights, one is forced to order from primarily the California/Colorado area. Please let me know if this idea is receptive to members of CPF. I, personally, do not like to have to pay a premium on shipping to get my "wants" to my door faster than usual. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I live in NJ. I order, almost exclusively, from Dan at Tactical WareHouse. $5 gets me my order in a matter of 2-days usually. I can't asked for any better than that. I place an order at 9 am and Dan is there filling it. I place an order a 9 pm and Dan is there filling it. This is my long answer. The short answer is, even though I live on the east-coast, I would continue to order from my existing Dealer.

Bill.H

Enlightened
Pocketlights.com, a CPF sponsor, is based in Norcross, GA, right next to Atlanta. They only sell LED lights, but have excellent prices and service. It's a bit far for me (I'm northeast of Boston), but not far at all (relatively) for you. I don't know of a major incandescent* dealer on the E. coast.

Hope this helps.

*probably be obsolete in a few years anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
This is not an "Anti-Dan" post. I have purchased items from Dan in the past and he is a great guy. I am just testing the waters as to an East Coast dealer for premium lights. This primarily comes from the fact that I have sold several Arc AAAs and E2e Surefires from my own collection due to the fact that people in my area, for the most part, have no knowledge that products of this magnitude exist.

Empath

Flashaholic
Mike, although you say you're "thinking" of setting up a site, you also say "I feel that I could offer lower costs for shipping on the East coast as well as quicker delivery."
Are you presently a dealer, or are you simply checking the waters in consideration? Any commercial use of CPF should be negotiated through Sasha.

Please be sure to read http://www.candlepowerforums.com/policy.html

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
Dear Empath,
I am a utility worker who thinks that there could be a cheaper way to provide East coast members with quality light prices. I am not trying to go in under the radar. I have no experience in selling anything.
Thanks,
Mike

Empath

Flashaholic
That's good to hear Mike. Technically, the subject of your thread isn't about flashlights as much as it's about becoming a dealer. Presently, I'm not sure of the best placement for it. It may later be moved, and if so a link will be placed so that you can follow it. For now, I'm not sure what to do with it, so I'll leave it for now and inquire of the higher powers.

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Empath, I'm not sure where this thread goes either. This thread is about flashlights, and It is about obtaining the best lights money can buy. I think that our east coast members need an alternative for their purchases other than 2 time zones away.
Thanks,
Mike

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely like to see an SF dealer with decent pricing here on the East Coast. I know Price Wizard is in New Jersey but I had a bad experience with the guy that took a month and 4 phone calls/several Emails to resolve. And all of the SF dealers here in NYC have an absolutely ridiculous markup on the retail, some sell for more than the MSRP! Cheers to Dan but I can't spend all my time seeking price match ing deals. I work several jobs and like everyday low pricing more than price match guarantees.

Anyhoo, I'm all for a competitive East Coast dealer.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. Seems like a legit light related question post to me Empath. No disrespect meant.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
Seems like a legit light related question post to me Empath.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, TSG.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in Michigan and my lights come from Colorado, Texas or apparently Georgia. Most dealers I have used either use USPS Priority mail or some other 2nd day service at a reasonable price. So I really don't know if being closer gives you an edge and I have no idea if this info helps you in the least. I guess I would base the decision on what kind of prices you can offer.

On the off-topic topic of where this belongs, I would think here or the Cafe (when in doubt, stick it in the Cafe). After all, he really can't be expected to buy advertising for his non-existent business. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pat

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
If in order to use only the best priced shipping, I think it would be relevent if you end up using UPS ground or FedEx ground (yes, FedEx ground does exist) as part of your shipping policy. Only because I wouldn't place an order since I'm on the West coast - it's a given fact that a ground shipment would take 5 to 7 days to reach me from the East coast. Sometimes longer. This is from experience (I buy a lot of things online). For some consumers, that's a less appealing option. You may be limiting your geographic market.

When purchasing from a Dealer that uses reasonably priced Overnight/2nd Day or 3-Day shipping, then I don't care if they're in Maine, Florida, Minnesota, Texas, etc. - proximity becomes a moot point.

An issue to also consider that concerns the typical consumer is WHEN will the shipment go out. If I place an order online and the shipment goes out three or five days later, I'm not a happy camper. It's that much more time that's added on to delivery time. Prior notice and unexpected delays are the exception, of course.

Bottom line is, I don't shop online with concerns for "location" if they're offering low-cost 2nd Day or overnight shipping. What I find more relevant is the following three criteria:

[*] Customer Service
[*] Prices
[*] Shipping Policy

-Jim