Review: The BitZ, Excellent EDC Light (Updated)

ROK

Enlightened
Introduction
Past 4 months was real pain for me. I had a new and good light but I couldn't open it to keep maker's secret project.
Here I'd like to share my impression of the new flashlight BitZ. The 2 lights were provided free of charge :nana: for test & review. I have got the sand blasted bare Al proto Bitz 4 moths ago for a test and production HA one only 2 days ago for a review. (Thanks HgRyu for tasting it first :goodjob:)

I have no connection with his business. Its price is $135. And I do not know the available quantity.
This custom-made light is made by the long time CPF member HgRyu. And the light is available in his website here: http://www.bitz.kr/.

CPF sale thread is HERE

BitZ.jpg
B.jpg

Specification - by maker
• Material : Titanium (Bezel, Clip), 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum Alloy (Head, Body)
• Finish : Type III Hardcoat Anodized Natural Finish and ChemKote Interior for enhanced Corrosion Protection
• Lens : Sapphire Crystal Glass, optical grade (Anti-Reflective coating for one side)
• LED : SSC P4 bin – USXOH
• Driver : High efficient Buck-Boost converter with 3 regular brightness levels and 4 hidden signals.
• Reflector : High quality Orange Peel aluminum reflector
• O-ring sealed Twist On-Off (no battery rattle)
• Battery : One 3V CR123A or one 3.6V RCR123A (recommend AW's protected Li-Ion cell)
• Dimension: Diameter 20.3mm, Overall Length 72mm
• Hole for DIY Tritium vial or Glow-Powder on tail (hole size for 1.5mm X 6.5mm). Sorry, no tritium for international shipment.
• Accessories : Titanium Pocket Clip, 2 Split Rings (one stainless steel, one polished brass)
• No commercial packing

Driver and Brightness levels, Hidden Signals - by maker
• BitZ Pocket use high efficient Buck-Boost converter and it will control power to the LED even though you use 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion battery. So, LED will not be damaged by unregulated high current from Li-Ion battery. Off course, birightness by regular 3V CR123A and 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion battery will be same.
• Input voltage range : 1.8V ~ 5.5V
• There are basic 3 Brightness levels (Medium-Low-High) and hidden 4 Signals (Strobe-Locater-Extreme Low-S.O.S.)
• Brightness (estimated) : High (120~130lumen), Medium (30~40lumen), low (10lumen)
• Current to LED (tested) : High (500mA), Medium (150mA), Low (30mA)
• Rumtime (tested) : High (1~2 hours), Medium (3~6 hours), low (12~24 hours) depending on 3V or 3.6V. (see runtime graphs for details)
• Runtime for Signal mode (RCR123A, CR123A) : Strobe (8, 12 hours), Locater (24, 36 hours), Ext.Low (45, 70 hours), S.O.S. (8, 12 hours)
• Basic 3 brightness levels has Memory Function. You will get next level by Off and On within two seconds.
• You will get into Signals by consecutive 8 On and Off. No memory function for Signal.
• Locater signal : useful mode for tracking and camping as "follow me" signal or location signal.
• Extreme Low : This mode is useful as a overnight candle at tent. Current to LED is 10mA.

Runtime Graph - by maker
• Tested by primary Panasonic CR123A and rechargeable AW RCR123A batteries.

RuntimeGraph.jpg

What's in the package
Light comes in a zip-lock bag, as other custom light do, with each SS and brass split-rings and 2 spare o-rings.
Package.jpg

The Design and Construction
When I saw BitZ first time, it reminded me the Fire-Fly and Nautilus. Yes, the Bitz belongs to the custom CR123A light class like the FF and Nautilus.

As you see the manufacture's specification, The BitZ used high grade parts, e.g. Titanium bezel ring, Titanium pocket clip, custom made Al reflector and sapphire crystal lens etc.

For size comparison
Size.jpg

There is no marking on the head and body.

Overall CNC machining is outstanding with no sharp edges.
Threads are smooth and very durable. The feeling of twist switching is butter smooth.
I have tested over 15,000 on/off cycles.:stupid: Switching operation is still flawless. But my fingers are… you can imagine…:mecry:

Side.jpg

Frt.jpg
Head.jpg
RR.jpg

You can see the slight off center of LED. But I believe it does not affect the beam quality.

Knurling is in the middle between aggressive and smooth. So, it provides decent gripping.

Favorite but expensive Ti bezel ring and pocket clip are standard parts. And both are natural Titanium color. I have drilled one hole on the proto pocket clip and polished it with fine grit sand paper. It's better than natural Ti to sand blasted bare Al proto Bitz.

The color of HA is, my favorite color, dark grey. It is very similar to Surefire's dark grey color with no hint of greenish. And HA quality is top notch and color matching is perfect. I could not find any flaw on the anodizing.

The slot on the tail end can accept 1.5mm X 6.5mm tritium vial. I have attached a 1.4mm X 6.5mm yellow tritium vial on the proto BitZ and 1.4mm X 6.5mm green vial on the production one.
Tail.jpg
Vial.jpg

Weight is only 48g with AW protected RCR123A and well balanced.

Let's see the inside of Bitz

ChemKote applied inside the tube and thread to protect corrosion.

You can find the brilliant design of leaf spring mechanism that can eliminate the battery rattle.
Inner.jpg

Unfortunately the bezel of production BitZ is sealed by some adhesive. I believe I can disassemble the bezel without any damage but I didn't. Because I love its beauty and I have a proto sample. So, I'll show you exploded pics of proto head as follow. I don't know what's changed between proto and production.
Explode.jpg

LE is tight fit in the head to make ground path and heat sinking.
At hi mode, Bitz reached warm quickly but not hot in the hand. Therefore I guess BitZ has a proper heat sinking.

Driver Circuit & Runtime
Personally I love a buck/boost driver due to the flexibility of battery use. Thankfully BitZ has a buck/boost circuit. When I checked its function with my DMM, output currents are identical regardless of primary CR123A or RCR123A. And the maker specification of output currents is reliable.

BitZ has 3 brightness levels (Low - Mid- Hi) and hidden 4 signals (Strobe – Locator - Extreme Low - SOS).
The brightness levels are changed if you turn off/on within 2 seconds. You can notice the brightness level set with one blinking at Mid and Low ranges. Bitz also has a memory function in 3 brightness levels.

IMO 500mA Hi is good compromise between performance and heat sinking for this small light.
Mid is enough to walk around the house and hiking at night.
Low is perfect for indoor use.

From any brightness level
- 8 off/on (off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on) : Strobe
- 9 off/on : Locator
- 10 off/on : Extreme Low
- 11 off/on : SOS
There is slight whine (buzz) noise on the Extreme Low mode but very good function on the other modes.

The runtimes of Bitz on Hi are 60min and 72min with AW protected RCR123A and Energizer CR123A respectively. After 72min it will go mid-mode with the primary CR123A.
So, manufacturer's runtime graph is very reasonable.

Beam quality
Sorry, crappy pics. I need a good camera. My camera does not catch the difference of each bright level. So, I'll post the comparison beam shot.
Beam shows excellent quality. Thrower hot spot with smooth corona and plentiful side spill though small reflector.

BitZ Hi(left) vs McR2—S Piglet Hi (500mA)
BitZHivsMcR20S500mA.jpg

BitZ Low vs McR20-S Piglet Low (50mA)
BitZLowvsMcR20S50mA.jpg

Bitz Ext. Low vs McR20-S Piglet Low (50mA)
BitZELowvsMcR20S50mA.jpg

I could not find any penetration of water in 1 hour washbowl test.
Water.jpg

Conclusion
The BitZ is an excellent quality EDC light. Machining is flawless and switching is very smooth and durable.

cons:
- Slight whine noise at Extreme Low mode
- Slight off centered LED (I hope this is only in my case)

pros:
- Everything else!
- Decent size and weight for a pocketable EDC light
- Multi-level brightness and decent runtimes.
- Great beam quality
- Flawless machining and well matched HA
- Reasonable price and actual shipping cost
- What do you want more…?

If you looking for a good quality, comfortable and decent size EDC light, it's a BitZ

Cheers to HgRyu :twothumbs
And thank for long reading. :bow: :bow: :bow:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited

How to open the BitZ head!

Deleted by the request of manufacturer.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The BitZ, Excellent EDC Light

Looks nice! but..more then a bit of influence by McGzimo's creation? and arc too...hmm thats probably why it looks nice..:D

but i dont see any indication of price?

Crenshaw

lazerboy2000

Newly Enlightened
Re: The BitZ, Excellent EDC Light

Looks nice! but..more then a bit of influence by McGzimo's creation? and arc too...hmm thats probably why it looks nice..:D

but i dont see any indication of price?

Crenshaw

Price is U$135/pc

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: The BitZ, Excellent EDC Light

but a 500ma high....seems kinda low...

this light is one helluva fine looking light though...its almost like a PD with knurling

Crenshaw

gollum

Enlightened

looks pretty nice
I like the agressive knurling...
$135 + s/h is ok

Snow

Enlightened

I like it. The hidden modes seem like a good idea.

curvie

Newly Enlightened

Very nice. Looking forward to these becoming available.:twothumbs

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice light. It has a lot going for it - small size, nice knurling, rugged design, and versital. I like it - thats the bad part.

greenstuffs

Banned

Nice light, at 500ma should put around 100 lumens OTF, good enough for all my EDC needs. Very well balanced light.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting thought. I don't think it looks anything like a PD myself, but it does look good.

schiesz

i think it was the clip that reminded me of the PD, but yeah, on second look,its more of a novatac look, mixed with ARC Knurling, and ARC pcb..

Crenshaw

toby_pra

Flashaholic

I like it too...;)

But there is a little bit of everything, from the Nautilus, McGizmo and also
looks like Katoshiki...:D

Bigsy

Enlightened

Love the design and looks, and I would of been tempted..but it needs a higher high definitely.

Bigsy

Enlightened

Why a higher high?:poke:
Because their too bunched, med and low are too close together imo, difference between 30 and 10 lumens is quite minimal, medium would just never get used as it is.

Personally speaking I would like:
Hi = ~850ma - For the odd time I need a lot of light, I would like to at least have the option.
Med = 350ma>450ma - I can use this as the normal light mode.
Low = <50ma.

Last edited: