Best 1x123a or 1xAA for Vera?

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I have been searching for a light for my wife, Vera. I want her to have a light for emergencies or whatever to carry in her purse. I have a single-mode C3 coming for her car's glove box.

I found the DX copper polished light sku 5438. It seems nice. I have a SS UF C3 Q5 myself and want her to have something else, something different from mine. And the clicky is too stiff for her hands anyway.

Criteria:

1. Must be one-mode twisty or Easy to turn-on switch.
2. prefer 1x123a or 1xAA primary.
3. Looks nice to girls (your wife/girlfriend likes it).
4. Reliable, reliable, reliable.
5. Any current XR-E or similar emitter will do.

What you got?

gollum

Enlightened
I really like my ultra fire WF C6S
cool looking chrome
very bright
good value at $24.27

gollum

Enlightened
they also do it in the twisty style
its very compact
but I found it harder to use than the clicky

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go 1xAA so she feels the light is more accessible and understandable. The most reliable I can think of is probably the old Civictor or one of the other lights using a spring loaded type twisty.

The Gerber Infinity (about $15 shipped nowadays) is one real reliable and long running light.

As another reliability freak, I nonetheless do accept the use of reverse clicky (more reliable than forward clicky IMHO) lights from good manufacturers. I've never had a problem with any of my Fenix clickies.

I've had good experience with some of the DX/Kai lights, but I would put it through some thorough testing/use/tweaking before I gave it to her. I've ground down a lot of bezel and tail shells to fix flickering on those lights, but then they work OK. I happen to like the $13.50 Kai BJC X8 light, but it is a clicky, the DX/Kai lights may exhibit sample-to-sample variations which the Fenixes do not, and like any high current light, it will require nimhs or E2 lithiums to have any runtime.

worldedit

Enlightened
Good Idea. I gave a Luma LM31 to my mother and shes happy with it. They are good when a Fenix L1D gets to complicated for a non flashoholic.

generic808

Enlightened
If you want something cheap, the RC-C3 is a winner. Single 123 with a twisty and a great clip. It has pretty good build quality and is super bright for the price, and this is coming from a die-hard Surefire fellah :thumbsup:

lgflorin

Newly Enlightened
If you want something cheap, the RC-C3 is a winner. Single 123 with a twisty and a great clip. It has pretty good build quality and is super bright for the price, and this is coming from a die-hard Surefire fellah :thumbsup:

+1 Romisen RC-C3 great light ,just received mine:thumbsup:

Yapo

Enlightened
how bright do you or her want it to be? because for purse carry i think one of the new Fenix E01 might be nice... running at 10lumens for 10hr+ on regular AAAs...is a twisty and also comes in bright colors; blue, orange, purple, black and olive...for about $15 although the 1st 3 colors might not be available for a few more weeks.

it should be plenty of light to find her way around at night and look for things in her purse/car

I kno its not a AA/cr123 nor uses a cree but it does use the new GS 5mm led and has a long runtime so i think it should be considered!

But if you think she'll need alot of light i cant think of a one mode cree light on AA/cr123 that will last more than 1-2hrs

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it's not AA/CR123 my wife likes the Tiablo A1(AAA) there is also a two stage model available.Another light she is fond of is the Pak-Lite Super w/GID body.Not really in the class of the power LEDs but very usefull and simple to use.
A Pak-Lite with a lithium 9V will run for a long time and the GID really works well.I have to say the Fenix EO1 looks like something my wife would like though it is not a power LED either.

Almost forgot,the Pak-Lite is available with different color bodies on the Pak-Lite website but they are a little pricey.
http://www.9voltlight.com/home

Last edited: