Best AAA keychain light? Fenix L0D Q4? Liteflux LF2X?

carya

Newly Enlightened
O Sages of CPF help me! I need a new keychain EDC. I am currently carrying a Peak LED Solutions Matterhorn 3. Old technology, and short runtime, but with a very nice feature- the threaded key fob on the end that lets you free the light from your keyring by twisting it 2 complete turns.
As a replacement, I am looking at 2 lights although there may be others I've missed. The Fenix L0D-CE Q4 and the Liteflux LF2X are my front runners.

What are the output and runtime comparisons between these two?
How many lumens does each put out in real world tests?

Looking at the runtime plots from NetKidz, the LF2X seems to have quite poor runtimes. Chevrofreak plotted runtimes for the older L0D-CE (before Q4) and the times were about 2X as long. Is the LF2X twice as bright as the L0D Q4?
I like the quick disconnect and programmability features of the LF2X, I would probably use ~30-40% at P1, high at P2, and 15% at the user programmed position. It also has the higher PWM frequency.
The L0D has simpler on/off switching, rather than having to hit positions while twisting the head, but it goes Med, low, High, instead of Med, High, Low. The fenix is also ~$20 cheaper with the CPF discount.

Which would you reccommend? Is there a different light I've missed that isn't much more expensive than the LF2X and can offer at least 40-50 lumens on high?

Thanks, folks.

Last edited:

maxilux

Enlightened
Re: Best AAA keychain light? Fexix L0D Q4? Liteflux LF2X?

take a look at the Tiablo MA1 and compare it

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

New Fenix E01 looks like it's going to be the new bang-for-the-buck champ and a showstopper overall. Check many threads around here and at the Fenix Store.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recommend the LOD Q4. I have it, and the previous LOD CE with a CREE P4 in it, and love them both. Been using a 10440 rechargeable in them for well over 100 lumen output. If you want to check out something else, the LumaPower Avenger LED Flashlight at Battery Junction looks to be pretty nice.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man, CPF'ers just hate questions like this. Not!!!!

If you can find a good Jet-u, that's my preference. Has a memory mode so it can come on in low (or other if you wish). Nice flood. They do show up on BST but are getting scarce.

LOD CE is second choice.

m2usa

Newly Enlightened

I have the L0D Q4 and really like the size and ease of carry. I did look at the Liteflux LF2X, but decided it would be easier to just the Fenix here stateside from the Fenix-Store. I got the olive finish and think it looks great. It is easy to use and I have some 10440's coming from AW that should really increase the primary beam. +1 on the L0D! :twothumbs

dardar

Newly Enlightened

The new incendio is tempting and can make a nice edc, a tad shorter than fenix l0d but use 1xcr123 instead of aaa

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both and here are some of my impressions: I really like the LF2X for its build finish and adjustability - a very cool light (unfortunately I have a replacement heading my way do to receiving one that has a switching issue). The tint on mine is pure white and the beam is a bit better than the Fenix due to the slightly larger reflector and OP. I like that it can be user adjusted.

The LOD - Q4 is what I would consider a more practical light. While I found the LF2X much cooler, the LOD is easier to use. It is very easy to turn on and even adjust one handed. I found it extremely useful when you need to quickly grab a light and turn it on. The LOD design seems to be very robust. I do not know how the LF2X spring two stage switch will fare in the long term - maybe no problem. The LOD seems lighter also.

As far as runtime - they are about equal when set to similar output levels. I did some runtime comparisons on medium and they were nearly identical when adjusted to the same brightness (nice efficient lights). The LF2X is able to put out just a bit more light at the highest level.

Both are about the best AAA lights IMO. They are just different.

Hope that helps.

Lumenz

Enlightened

I have both the L0D and the LF2X as well. However, my preference is for the LF2X over the L0D. I love the programmability, the easy switching of modes (pressing on the head, rather than twisting), the high output and the various modes (fast and slow strobe) and options (you can check your battery voltage!).

Even though I think the LF2X is better than the L0D, I think you should get the L0D. You mentioned you carry it in your pocket. The included keyring attachment can easily become loose and fall off the light. This might not be so bad if it is in your pocket vs. carried around your neck, but I am sure it would become annoying to fish out your keys and the flashlight is no longer attached to the keyring.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened

I have the LODR80. Currently it's on a Streamlight Pro body (forward clickie) with 2 AAA batteries. It's convertible to a Streamlight Microstream body with a forward clickie or it's original LOD body with Nimh or 10440. I picked the Rebel for tint, I'll probably end up with a Q4 soon also.

For an easy to use, all purpose Lego light, it can't be beat. I passed on the Liteflux as it reminds me of the Jetbeam MKIIR UI and I don't need all the foofrah to make light.

Shardak

Newly Enlightened

I like the Liteflux LF2 the best.

Havent seen an LF2X yet.

My L0D is bright, but i dont care for the slippery finish and the annoying flicker.

Fenix E01 looks nice as well.

carya

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback so far. As far as some of the other lights that have been mentioned, They are interesting, but don't fit my criteria due to not using 1 AAA battery or not having high power at 40+ lumens.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both lights too. Actually it's three L0D's, LF2 SSC and LF2X. When I got the first Liteflux I stopped using the L0D's because I get very annoyed at the sudden appearance of SOS or strobe when chasing the level I need.

For this reason I like better the LF where I can decide to have a low level at the first turn and more light with a further turn. I can't even switch on the strobe, I don't know how to do it......:naughty:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I would recommend either the LF2 or the Tiablo MA1. The LF2 was sold with SSC and Cree emitters. The SSC was more floody. They will occasionally come up for sale in the MP. I personally do not like the flicker of the L0D, but if it doesn't bother you then the L0D would an excellent choice as well.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an Arc

The fenix might be bright but the runtimes are super short on high with a alkaline.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Get an Arc

The fenix might be bright but the runtimes are super short on high with a alkaline.

Then just turn the light level down, L0D has 8 hour runtime at low.

Or get a E01, when they arrives. They are cheap and are supposed to be just as good as Arc.

bltkmt

Enlightened
I have the last generation L0D-CE on my keychain wrapped in Tommy tape, and the LF2-FX on my nightstand. I love them both. However, the Liteflux does not look to work well as a keychain light, at least for me, because of the lack of a secure spot to attach. I must say that the clip is very useful and elegant though. Thus, I prefer the Fenix on the keychain, and the Liteflux in the pocket.

That said, I want an Incendio too!

Ice

Enlightened
It looks to me as if many people here are suggesting a L0D without having seen an LF2.
I have an L0D-CE, L0D-Rebel80, L0D-Q4, LF2 P4, LF2 SSC and LF2X (damn, did I really spend that much money?!?!).
The L0D without a doubt is a good light, which I however do not use anymore due to the low PWM frequency. I can see that as soon as something is moving, either some object or the light itself.
That really is no problem with the LF2.
The LF2 (in all versions) is a very good light. The only shortcoming in comparison to the L0D I can see may be that it's a few millimeters longer.
The two stage switch is a really elegant way to operate a light. I can say nothing about the long term reliability of that switch, I myself never had a problem.
Finally, I see the L0D mainly as drudge, while the LF2 is something you can toy with... :)
If I had to choose, I'd take the "older" LF2, since I don't like that newer lanyard attachement.

Last edited:

Tubor

Enlightened
LF2 SSC - $15 cheaper than the LF2X and fantastic flood beam for close up use. Works great with 10440 Li-Ions. Doesn't have some of the latest snazzy features the LF2X has such as a clip or being able to attach it to a tripod but if you just want a good, floody EDC for mainly indoor use then the LF2 SSC is a very good candidate.