Wolf-Eyes Storm R2

daimleramg

Banned
Ok i just came back from the post office and picked up my package from PTS. Opened the package there it is... wow what a beautiful flashlight. I thought it was gonna be too big but the girth of it fits perfectly in your hand, my thumb can overlap my middle finger with this flashlight in my hand. This flashlight is seriously bright, i dont own anything else that is rated over 800 lumens to compare it with so i will trust Mike@PTS that it is 840 bulb lumens or hopefully over 700 torch lumens. Will wait for night fall for outdoor beamshots, I live in a major city and lighting here is pretty bright even at night...so i hope it gets darks enough. Cant wait till nite!!

I had the pleasure of testing an earlier Storm model and it's really quite a light. I think it was a P4 Cree, and rated around 500lm total, but it was still the brightest LED light I'd seen.

Wolf-Eyes seem to be quick to offer the latest technology...now when is the tri-P7 Storm due out?

Flashlight Enthusiast
pics would be cool trying to decide between the R2 and the Q5 version

daimleramg

Banned
So here's the scoop...

I've had this light for a couple of days now, this light feels so solid. Its so heavy for its size so you know its quality. It came perfectly lubed and the anondizing is perfect. Now the cree lottery is still in place because i have two with a very slight green tints and the 3rd one with a slight purple tint. It's so slight it doesnt make any difference even when white wall hunting, only when in low mode you look at the bezel on an angle you can see the different tints.

Last night when i went out to take some beamshots i was thinkin... what can i compare this light with?... i dont have anything of that magnitude. So it dawned on me... i have two 35w 6000k HID's headlights... so here's some beamshots on a brick wall about 5 metres away.

control shot

my 35w 6000k HID's

Wolf-Eyes Storm R2

Wolf-eyes Storm R2 left and my 35w 6000k HID's right

Last edited:

zip

Newly Enlightened
Looks good to me!

It stands right up to those HID's.

I ordered one from Mike at PTS, and should recieve it next week.:thumbsup:

Now all we need are the Tri P7's to come in. :cool:2700 Lumens:cool:
Would that be possible?:drool:

Anyway have fun with it.:thumbsup:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Pics, can you try doubling the distance and doing it again?

Flash007

Enlightened
Looks good to me!

Now all we need are the Tri P7's to come in. :cool:2700 Lumens:cool:

Anyway have fun with it.:thumbsup:

Tri P7's must be OK in a Wolf-Eyes storm flashlight. ;)
Feeded with 3x 18650, it's the minimum configuration to drive them @2,8A.

3x 800 lumens typical with C-bin = 2400 lumens total output.
In High-Mid-Low or High-Mid-Low-Strobe configuration.

For heat dissipation, W-E flashlights are build like tank.

I'm sure we'll see pretty soon these kind of flashlights.

It's why I'm waiting now after well designed P7's flashlights for the next step.

I have so many Cree Q4 and Q5 flashlights, and I'm happy with them, that make no real sense to buy Cree R2, having the P7 ready.

To finalise my post, one thing I insist always is the fact that all serious manufacturers like Wolf-Eyes or Surefire (others are welcome also !) may be able to offer only selected tint leds, even if we must pay a little more cash.

I hate having green, blue or purple tint.

The tint wich are OK for me are :

- cool white (WC tint with Cree)
- warm white (WG with Cree ?).

;)

daimleramg

Banned
As for heatsinking the storm is built like a tank, to test it out i left it on high for 30 mins. It got pretty hot, i can still hold it but i felt like my hand was a bio-radiator... pulling the heat off the flashlight. Crees are more efficient then seouls... the P7 is rated at 90lm/w( http://www.seoulsemicon.com/en/product/prd/zpowerLEDp7.asp ) and one watts is about 350ma no? and isnt the R2's 112lm at 350ma?

As for Tri-P7's in a storm, look at the birds eye view of the storm while its standing on its end ( http://www.light-reviews.com/we_storm/review.html ) those are D23's smaller then standard P60 drop-ins look at the smaller reflectors. Its gonna be hard to make 3 P7 reflectors fit in that small of a space ment for three D23 modules. So if WE is gonna make a Tri-P7 Storm how will they fit 3 P7's and reflectors in the bezel because space is a factor.( You cant build a mansion on a lot meant for a 2 bedroom house ) Only answer is, a larger newly designed light which "my friend" will take a while... by that time yes ill be ready to purchase a new light.

daimleramg

Banned
A new designed bezel/head (larger in diameter) would be good for tri-P7.

:thinking:

LOL you just said the same thing as I did but transposed my words but anyways... currently the bezel for the storm is 62.20mm... how big does it need to be to accommodate tri-p7's? and will it just turn into a light that is too big to be practical?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crees are more efficient then seouls... the P7 is rated at 90lm/w( http://www.seoulsemicon.com/en/product/prd/zpowerLEDp7.asp ) and one watts is about 350ma no? and isnt the R2's 112lm at 350ma?

That's not true because they use the same dies. P7 efficiency is rated at 2,8A (max current)!!! According to this R2 has 122lm at 350mA and 3,31V which means 105,3lm/W. At 1A efficiency is 75lm/w.
2,8A in P7 means 0,7A for each die. At this current R2 has 82lm/W vs. 90lm/W in P7. Are you sure that Crees are more efficient?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if I should max out my credit card and take the plunge for the Storm R2. :devil: I'd have to consider if my meals are worth sacrificing for it though. Would love one! Keep us posted daimleramg.

daimleramg

Banned
That's not true because they use the same dies. P7 efficiency is rated at 2,8A (max current)!!! According to this R2 has 122lm at 350mA and 3,31V which means 105,3lm/W. At 1A efficiency is 75lm/w.
2,8A in P7 means 0,7A for each die. At this current R2 has 82lm/W vs. 90lm/W in P7. Are you sure that Crees are more efficient?

Going by your theory, you are saying one P7 driven at 2.8A's is brighter then 4 cree R2's each at 700mA?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going by your theory, you are saying one P7 driven at 2.8A's is brighter then 4 cree R2's each at 700mA?

In theory yes, but not much. It depends on P7 bin as well but yes, 4 Cree R2 driven at 700mA should give a little bit less light than one good P7 @ 2,8A.

daimleramg

Banned
In theory yes, but not much. It depends on P7 bin as well but yes, 4 Cree R2 driven at 700mA should give a little bit less light than one good P7 @ 2,8A.

One P7 C-bin driven @2.8A will give u min 700lm... typical 800lm... max 900lm

I got this chart from your link...

So the R2 driven at 700mA gives u 210 lm x 4 = 840 lm thats better then typical and just a tad less then max.

Last edited: